54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hello there

I have just bought a stock 63 RHD small window bug!

It has had a respray in the (uhum original!)colour of Rover Red! and a new engine but apart from that it is quite solid and original, from the spedometer to the boot cover that goes on the fuel tank!

Here are some pics that the previous owner took but I will try to get up some more pics of my own soon! Please feel free to say anything that you spot to be wrong or incorrect with it! (ps i know about the front indicators and the Lucas gauges on the dash!)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Yes, it looks very smart.
The wipers and arms are of the later type and therefore incorrect (but probably more efficient!)
Do you know the build date? I have a 1963 Ruby Red car which was built on 26th March 1963. Yours looks to be around that time too.
Cheers.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I don't think it should have a locking door handle on the passenger side. :wink: :lol:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Looks really nice! I like the colour :d And you cant get any more British than a Rover colour! :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I don't think it should have a locking door handle on the passenger side. :wink: :lol:

tman wrote:

It's so amazing that you could tell that with no picture of it, anyway it was me that told you it was incorrect!
William
heb623
15 years ago
When you ask me the declkid is too young too!
Would'nt be a turning T handle better in place than that pushing knob?

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Yes, it looks very smart.
The wipers and arms are of the later type and therefore incorrect (but probably more efficient!)
Do you know the build date? I have a 1963 Ruby Red car which was built on 26th March 1963. Yours looks to be around that time too.
Cheers.

RoRoVw wrote:

It was manufacted in mid April 1963 (im going to try and send off for a birth certificate soon!)

I would love to know what colour it was originaly but at a guess I would say it is probably Ruby Red as to have it black ot beige it would have a red interior and most other colours for that year are quite uncommon! Also I think that the colour is quite similar to Ruby Red and the previous owners probably settled on it, after struggling to get the correct colour!
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago

When you ask me the declkid is too young too!
Would'nt be a turning T handle better in place than that pushing knob?

heb623 wrote:

I thought the same at first but after some investigation I believe the T handle stopped, I think in early 63 and as this is an april car i think it just missed having one! (well I hope!)
William
heb623
15 years ago
Sorry 54 Gertie but according my investigations the T handle was replaced by a pushing knob in 1964,
dated 03/08/64!! (august 3)

I really like to know the chassisnumber of your car is that possible?

Your wheels are painted wrong!
The hart of the wheel has to be coloured like carcolor, outher ring white!

Is there an arm rest on the passenger door? There should be one!

When it is an April 1963 car the signs of the hub caps are painted black!
(painting of them stopped (5) august 1963!

54 Gertie
15 years ago

Sorry 54 Gertie but according my investigations the T handle was replaced by a pushing knob in 1964,
dated 03/08/64!! (august 3)

I really like to know the chassisnumber of your car is that possible?

Your wheels are painted wrong!
The hart of the wheel has to be coloured like carcolor, outher ring white!

Is there an arm rest on the passenger door? There should be one!

When it is an April 1963 car the signs of the hub caps are painted black!
(painting of them stopped (5) august 1963!

heb623 wrote:

Well then im sure your right about the The T handle! Its a shame but hey, its not like its had some fibreglass full W decklid fittedon standoffs!

There is an armrest on the passenger side door car, jus that the picture cuts it off!

The black painted VW logo I think, from what I'veread in books and on the web stopped in March 63 but again you probably know more about the 60s bugs than me!

The chassis number is 5543343
William
heb623
15 years ago
According to my "book" your car is produced between 31 dec. 1962 and 31 july 1963!:wink:

RoRoVw
15 years ago
My March 1963 car has the T handle and also has the VW logo on the hub caps painted black. The wheel inner section should be a darker red than the body and the outer should be beige.
My chassis number is 5383152, so pretty close really.  m_998 EUM Oct 08 001.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
The wheel trims are hiding the silver painted wheels until I can get around to painting them the correct colours of Cadmium Red/Stone Beige.
55Kab
15 years ago

dated 03/08/64!!

heb623 wrote:

Correct, it should have a T-handle fitted but if you look closey I believe you have the wrong decklid fitted.

That is a 64 on decklid with a push button and no flared moulding above the number plate light housing. Could explain it as perhaps the car has a rear end accident as some time in its life and the incorrect decklid was fitted.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Getting as bad as that bitchy place The Samba on here.[-x E.T
It's a nice looking car Gertie.
ENJOY
heb623
15 years ago

Getting as bad as that bitchy place The Samba on here.[-x E.T

'50 Karmann wrote:

George I love you!:shock: (not really:lol: )

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ET

PS George: Those words coming out of your mouth sound like music into my ears!:wink:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I just thought that I would add a little update!

I have been, over the past few days been slaving over a hot die grinder to try and dig out some pretty established surface rust in the gutters!

There are also small bits that want sorting before the need for more invasive work is needed in the years to come!

It does need slight bits of welding and to bottom of the bonnett and in the rhs seam where the scuttle meets the front 1/4 panel but this is not even a hole the size of a litte finger!

Allthough the fact that she is not in her original Ruby Red (as I have dicovered after finding plenty of OG paint in the interior underneath carpets!)it is also a bit of a godend as it mean that I can just get a Halfords rattle can of paint rather than getting it professionally mixed!

I will try to get some pics up soon!
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Here are some pics of the car as I slowly start to sort out some small problems like a bit of rust in the gutters and just some random pics of other areas!

Luggage area, still in OG (Ruby Red) paint and luckily rustfree!
UserPostedImage

Inner doors, really solid and luckily for me allready waxoyled!
UserPostedImage

Inner 1/4 panels, have been replaced at bottoms on both sides but luckily they look to have been done really well! (unlike most!)
UserPostedImage

Rusted through RHS bumper iron! (I need a pair if anyone has some for sale!)
UserPostedImage

Found a few holes in the bottom edge of the bonnet, dont plan to weld it up now but I will de-rust and paint it just to stop it getting any worse and I will wait to get a section from another bonnett to repair it!
UserPostedImage

I am gojng to repaint the whole of the front 1/4 panels on both sides, simply because it is going to be the easiest way to make the repaint on the gutters look seamless!
UserPostedImage

Have been busy digging out rust in the guutters, ready for a fresh skim of filler and a repaint!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Have begun to treat the gutters with Kurust and other rust remedies!
UserPostedImage

More pics when I have done some more!
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I have spent a few hours over the weekend taking out the windscreen and getting some panels ready for their shiney new paint after I relieved them of plenty of surface rust!

I found tons of surface rust under the windscreen seal, luckily no holes yet!

There was also puddles of water sat under the seal from where a previous owner had used silicon to seal the windscreen, this however meant that the seal could not do its job properly and water has been sitting there! Even after being in a dry garage for a fortnight!:(

Will try to get some pics up in the next few days!:d
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Does anyone know where I can get some paint for the wheels or my 63

Cadmium Red

L471 Stone Beige

Cheers!
William