Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi everyone,

Could anyone suggest somewhere I could buy an authentic copy interior for my car or a 2nd hand one.

Unfortunately mine has been replaced in previous years:(

Thanks for any help:d

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
I had a look at Wolfsburg West's interiors.

I see they have one coloured vinyl listed for '66's, but I have seen 66's with the mesh two tone ones that they have listed for the 65's. Is there a bit of a grey cross over area for the interiors?

Which would be correct, or is it either?
Batton
15 years ago
Hi Rach
If you are looking for originality then I am pretty sure you will find that a single colour with basket weave pattern main surfaces and smooth sides is authentic OE fitment. TMI do some pretty reasonable repro-style covers. I just fitted my 67 with new TMI covers that I bought from VW Heritage and they have come up really very smart.

TMI will also do you any two tone combination you want if you are not looking to be 100% authentic. They take about a month to make and ship. Get hold of the VW Heritage catalogue or look them up online:

https://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle-Parts/?templateID=vwh 

Hope this helps
Cheers
Batton
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Hi Batton,

Thanks very much for the info:d I'll check them out.

harveypj
15 years ago
Hello,
Thats a great looking car, I'll always have a soft spot for 1966 Ruby red bugs. Takes me back down memory lane to when I was 19 and my first 6 volt.
My original interior was platinum leatherette (cream-ish)) lava carpet (grey-ish) the steering wheel and gear lever black.

Have you seen the paint scheme pages on the Wolfsberg west site. They give all interior and paint schemes correct to year? look for the rainbow beetle on the home page (bottom right).

Stock......the new custom
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Hi Harveypj,

and thanks:d

I have found out that the interior in your old car is the exact colour mine should have, according to Wolfsberg. Thank you for re-confiming it for me...now I just have to find one:?

I do however have a soft spot for the white steering wheels...not sure if I can resist temptation to change it...

Do you have any pics of your car and its interior, I'd love to see them.:d
Batton
15 years ago
The problem you now have is finding a match to Platinum.
I did consider this when I re-covered my seats but as my door cards were all black I decided to take the easy (and cheaper) option. 67s in Ruby Red came with either black or platinum vinyl interiors but yours being a year earlier did not have this choice.

TMI do not list a Platinum option in their vinyl colours (nor I believe do Newton Commercial or Status VW - both of whom also make repro seat covers). I assume that TMI Beige is the nearest but it might be worth getting a sample first - I believe you can request colour swatches through VW Heritage.

If I can offer some tips gained through experience of re-covering - take your time, use the old covers as a guide to re-assembly as the instructions are a little sparse, get some hog ring pliers and some new hogrings, don't skimp on the foam padding and finally be prepared for some nicks and cuts. Those spikes on the seat frames are really vicious and I kept catching myself on them 😞

Good luck and why not post some pics of the finished job?!
Batton
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Hi Batton,

Thanks for all the helpful tips, much appreciated.:d

I know I'm going to have a bit of a job finding Platinum, hopefully Wolfsberg might be helpful, fingers crossed.

Will post some pics when it's done, it will be after Christmas .
harveypj
15 years ago
My 66 in 1993.  ruby beetle0004.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ruby beetle0003.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ruby beetle0002.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ruby beetle0001.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Wow, looks great!!
The white interior really suits, thanks for that, can't wait to get mine sorted. I just wish Wolfsburg would mail me back, I think I've scared them off!:shock:

Thanks for posting the pictures, much appreciated:d