Tomvass83
15 years ago
Hi,

I have a beetle that was passed down to me by my family that was orignaly two beetles. After checking the vehicle documentation it says that it is a 1200cc. However a chap who knew a little bit about beetles told me that it couldn't be this engine due to the set up.

My question is does anyone know how to measure the engines cc so that i can get it changed on the vehicle documentation and know for future reference?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Tom
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Etzhold1
15 years ago
start with checking the engine Number ! and post it here !
Tomvass83
15 years ago
i had to buy a new crank case from scotland due to a problem with the engine. The guy who sorted the engine did say that he had to machine the crankcase to a 90.5 as the engine had been modified. He said this meant that it had to be at least 1775cc but i need to be certain for the documents. I'm concerned that the engine number won't match what is under the boot. What do you think?

Thanks for coming back

Cheers Tom
six-o-one
15 years ago
You need to know the stroke of the crankshaft to calculate the displacement.
Assuming it's a standard 69mm crank, 90.5mm barrels will give you 1776cc as you say.

Another indicator would be the size of the carbs you're running.

https://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/enginecalc.htm 

I would just insure it as a 1776cc engine
Andy Sparks
15 years ago
Tell me what barrels and crank sizes you have and i'll let you know, but malc is correct 69mm crank is standard 1600, barrels are bigger then it will increase the size of the engine
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
And if the case is cut for bigger barrels, then the heads will need to be cut too.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Tomvass83
15 years ago
Thanks guys for the advise, I'll see if i can get those dimensions.

Back shortly