mrsherbie
15 years ago
If it really is/was a split once, then there's very little split left! :shock:
Plenty of porky pies too, semaphores are late oval-on, louvres are NOT factory! that is surely the best split joke I have ever seen :lol: :lol:
Is it just me, or are the glovebox cut outs a very odd shape? The whole front end is definitely not split, and neither is the body under the rear seat. The door's & glass & rear window look split but, umm.. ok I give up now! :shock:

Seriously though, I really hope someone does'nt get mugged on this car, but if it sells for under £3k is probably no crime at all. And if it was once a 52, it will be nice to have another one back on the road regardless of its extensive Jocelyn Wildenstein surgery :d

52? on ebay 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

regardless of its extensive Jocelyn Wildenstein surgery :d

mrsherbie wrote:

Then the headlights would be on top of the wings, pointing at the sky!

Email me!! Need to know something re my mail.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago
If you compare the dash to this 100% pukka one, the g boxes look the completely wrong shape and all the spacing look completely wrong, along with the homemade pods!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It has a cranked gear lever and the later 64- gearbox coupler under the rear seat so im guessing it is a mid 60s pan, allthough it does have the roller throttle pedal?

The underbonnet area looks like oval to me! Also it has an zwitter/oval decklid, with a "L" handle on it, later lights, semaphores etc, but I understand these are all bolt on parts:? !

So I guess it has to be a oval shell with split window and dash, on a mid 60s chassis thats somehow got an earlier peddle assembly!

Weird? :?:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
also it has the 55 on strap on the inner 1/4 panel for the jack, I may be wrong with dates but im pretty sure that a 52 should not have it!

It does have ribbed doors however so for the shell I would sometime around mid 55? (these are however bolt on parts!)

It also has no defroster vents, sign of a butchered dash?
William
vintagevw
15 years ago
Something for HO next year!:d
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
pre67vw
15 years ago
But it's RHD, thats got to be rare? 😛
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Isn't that your old friend Anna?
How could you forget!

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16151 

:shock: :roll:

six-o-one wrote:

But that car was a greeny blue if I remember, a very similar but different car with all the same sort of issues! :shock: :lol:
Remember, the other one had a dash with cut outs finely crafted from Fimo by a group of chimps?
To be fair this one looks a LOT better!

But it's RHD, thats got to be rare? 😛

pre67vw wrote:

yes, ok ok, I see where you are going :beer: :lol:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
So, I guess we can put it's beauty down to those good old 'progressive refinements'..

UserPostedImage

More frighteningly, in the most recent pic she is starting to look a bit like me?! :shock:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

It also has no defroster vents, sign of a butchered dash?

54 Gertie wrote:

I hadnt noticed that. In fairness the seller also has 2 other vws also on ebay that are fine and dated correctly, so maybe some of the shell really is a split, but with the later whole front end so the body number stamped there must be gone and I would be dubious about whats stamped on the tunnel, so where does that leave the new owner when it comes to registering it? I guess, so long as it has a valid pre63 chassis number with it, and still gets a pre-reg number it will be ok.
Good luck to the bidders!

In spite of everything It does have a kind of cool retro look left just as it is ( but with the interior sorting) I dont know that I would even change it back to stock for a while? Its probably more interesting as it is. I like the chrome lights :d

UserPostedImage

I guess that it came from the same place as the bus, where is the plate from?

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago
Changed user id within the last 30 days:?:
11 bids,some people must be desperate.

Surely thats the same car, repainted, Anna,the green one was due to come to the UK.
Certain a dash can't be done that badly twice.
Only thing the car has going for it,the back window looks right,probably a graft.

That's some serious cosmetic surgery,wonder if the guy who did the dash in this car was around in those days.
heb623
15 years ago
If that is a split window dash I'll eat my hat!!![-x
Strange holes to me!!!:shock:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I did first think it could be the same car too, like Malcolm suggests, but then the red paint does'nt look clean and fresh enough to have been completely re-done inside and out over blue in the last 3 months?
And when you think how many Columbian and similar type country barndoors have been imported into the uk in the last year or 2, that have turned out to be 'not very original' it does seem more than likely that more than 1 of these similar type confused beetles have been privately imported by people/bought off ebay does'nt it?

I have only just realised why I quite like the colour/look, Owen ( notice I do not say 'we' here :lol: ) still has this 80's built cal look'd red oval with white sides and a white sunroof (grafted in back then) that looks frighteningly similar :shock: :lol: God bless him :d

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago
COLD
Aswell no heater pipes.
The things a carve up  eaad_1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Thats one of the confusing pics, what year beetle body did this 'sharp edge' appear? splits certainly dont have it. My first thought is that it could have been repaired here and the heater outlet blocked at the same time but this top edge looks too good to be a repair, unless the whole panel had been replaced which I would think very unlikely in a car from a hot climate, although I agree the tubes have been blocked up.
This 'edge' makes me think that this part dates the body?

My nz bug had its original j tubes from new, so never had any heating. I never needed it when I lived out there so I could see why hot countries do away with the heating all together.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

GKL 7
15 years ago
Chris's '55 doesn't have the sharp edge,so it has to be post then.
Whats the electrical item to the right of your lower arrow Anna:?:

Makes you wish you could tell all bidders how bad this thing is.
Some poor so and so,thru' naivity, is going to get badly stung.

Anna, how did VWNZ block the heater outlets on their CKD cars?
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Whats the electrical item to the right of your lower arrow

'50 Karmann wrote:

I have no idea! i am useless with electrics, a milkshake maker? :lol: Its using the hole though isnt it.

how did VWNZ block the heater outlets on their CKD cars?

'50 Karmann wrote:

I cant remember now, all the heater parts were inside the car as normal, but I think there were funny black covers on the outside, nothing welded. It was a top of the North Island car all its life. Maybe the dealer who sold it and maintained it for its entire nz life did it?

mrsherbie
15 years ago
I asked my vw directory about this body edge and he said it sounded post67 from description ( he's not seen it) Pah! what does he know! I thought :lol:

But I searched and found this '71! Now I am really confused :lol: Help! where is RoRoVW?!

UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
15 years ago
I was going to start a thread about this car but then found Anna had beaten me to it over a day earlier :lol: .
Over £3k now for a hideous heap?
Spare wheel well is very late, going by the hump , and aren't there 3 horizontal ribs on the panel behind the spare wheel? That would indicate 58/59 onwards wouldn't it?
Agree the dash looks all wrong, the area of the headliner around the rear window looks all wrong to me as well, why the sharp angles/lines in the fabric?
Is that a 55-on rear seat base support?
It really is an abomination in my eyes, though did get some enjoyment from the questions and answers!
Just looked at the other auction from the same seller (a 64 Beetle), and the seller reckons he's wanting £10k for each car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Wouldn't give 10k pence for that red 'un.
Will feel sorry if anyone gets stung on this, but as the saying goes,caveat emptor...............

:wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Judson53
15 years ago

Thats one of the confusing pics, what year beetle body did this 'sharp edge' appear? splits certainly dont have it. My first thought is that it could have been repaired here and the heater outlet blocked at the same time but this top edge looks too good to be a repair, unless the whole panel had been replaced which I would think very unlikely in a car from a hot climate, although I agree the tubes have been blocked up.
This 'edge' makes me think that this part dates the body?

My nz bug had its original j tubes from new, so never had any heating. I never needed it when I lived out there so I could see why hot countries do away with the heating all together.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

that definatly looks like a 70s beetle prably had the heaters welded and filled for a easy reapire what a heap 😳