Standard split
15 years ago
The storm caused by the obviously faked '52 split is intriguing:!:

I have seen others advertised over recent months which I have been very sure are duds, and not for small sums of money either :shock:

Has anybody noticed just how many oval-dashed (zwitter) splits come up for sale? Considering a short production run from October '52 to March '53:?:

These zwitters are nearly always deluxes with new headling and a full respray. Now we know for example, that an April '53 Oval is very much the same as a November '52 split.

It seems that early ovals are becoming less, as well as many discovered split wrecks in woods losing their rear window:!:

I have no more to say other than I would not buy a zwitter. However if a car offered had the original stained headling down to and around the rear window, and preferably very old dull paint, or I knew the car's history very well I would consider it :wink:

A 'proper' pre October '52 split is a better bet, and judging by the mess of the red and white "52 split" in the previous thread, much more involved to fake from an oval :p

Study the end curves of the rear window on the car below…  Fake Split1.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
IN2VWS
15 years ago
Agree, the rear windows do not look correct. They should also have the aluminium trim in the rear window rubbers.
Standard split
15 years ago
No it wasn't that, although the trim should be there on a deluxe zwitter, being missing does not make it a dud. Look at the end curves again and how close they are to the louvres:!:

It's an oval with the centre pillar put in. On a split window the end curves move further away from the louvres, but on an oval the curve follows the louvres.

This was for sale as a zwitter and not cheap. Usually the complete window from a wrecked donor split is welded in, so this is unusual :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
six-o-one
15 years ago
Adrian's (beetlemania on here) '55 sunroof standard confuses a lot of people. The window was put in by a previous owner before it came in to the UK.
There's a note in the window explaining that it's really an oval!
:lol:

96.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
15 years ago
Such a rare car it was anyway before the alteration:!:

Really nice too. Just shows you how careful you need to be about buying a zwiitter::wink:
vintagevw
15 years ago

Really nice too. Just shows you how careful you need to be about buying a zwiitter::wink:

That's the reason that I bought a witter vert!:wink: :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
mrsherbie
15 years ago
A zwitter vert! There cannot be many of those around at all?! :beer:

I am faced with the option to sell my 50 to get an amazing zwitter that I really want badly at the moment but I cant even consider selling my 50 :cry: And him indoors says No more pet beetles for me unless I sell one first. That is almost a divorce worthy crime in my book! except we are not married so I cant even try to pull this one yet! I need more ideas :? :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
15 years ago

I am faced with the option to sell my 50 to get an amazing zwitter that I really want badly at the moment but I cant even consider selling my 50

mrsherbie wrote:

So tell me where the Zwitter is and i will go and buy it.
I'll give you ago in it later and we'll all be OK:wink: