Dubster
15 years ago
You really have to buy this, if not, please let someone here have next dibs!

I feel that I have this ask this question though, do you plan to customise the car :?
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
54 Gertie
15 years ago

, do you plan to customise the car :?

Dubster wrote:

I could customize the hell out of that car, a telefunken radio here and a bumper overider there! 😳 :roll: :wink:

William
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I could customize the hell out of that car, a telefunken radio here and a bumper overider there! 😳 :roll: :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

A Telefunken radio wouldn't be correct in a Standard :wink:

I receieved a phone call this afternoon from Mervyn Young who owns the car. He recently offered the Standard to a chap from Kent who he has known for some time (I assume this is dry&heavy on this forum). The chap was supposed to be bringing the money along yesterday to collect the car, but this never happened. A deal of £10k firm had been agreed many weeks ago. Mervyn has asked me to call him if anybody else is interested in the car, so I am spreading the word. Drop me an email if you're interested! The car is still in very good original condition, but no longer has the original engine (the replacement seems to be a 30bhp unit) - a big shame and a big de-valuer of the car IMHO. The car now has some surface rust, but the bodywork is all original and unrestored. Parts like the interior mirror and fuel tank are wrong, but overall, it still looks like a good one.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Proof..........:lol:

I know Rich has a fetish for radios

chris wrote:

William
Dubster
15 years ago

I receieved a phone call this afternoon from Mervyn Young who owns the car. He recently offered the Standard to a chap from Kent who he has known for some time (I assume this is dry&heavy on this forum). The chap was supposed to be bringing the money along yesterday to collect the car, but this never happened. A deal of £10k firm had been agreed many weeks ago. Mervyn has asked me to call him if anybody else is interested in the car, so I am spreading the word. Drop me an email if you're interested! The car is still in very good original condition, but no longer has the original engine (the replacement seems to be a 30bhp unit) - a big shame and a big de-valuer of the car IMHO. The car now has some surface rust, but the bodywork is all original and unrestored. Parts like the interior mirror and fuel tank are wrong, but overall, it still looks like a good one.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Is the original engine available with the car, even if it does require a rebuild?

If I hadn't taken on another project recently I would have seriously considered viewing this car, although I would like to avoid divorce during 2009 🙂
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Is the original engine available with the car, even if it does require a rebuild?

Dubster wrote:

Unfortunately not.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

You must be thinking of someone else........... UserPostedImage

Chris wrote:

UserPostedImage

You just wait until Stanford Hall, I'll get you Butler!

:lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol: :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
All_VAG
15 years ago
Alright boys and girls, firstly want to thank 55kab for that retro shot of this 52' Split. In actual fact im one of Mervyn's sons (Tom). Just wanted to say hi to everyone and let people know iv taken several more shots of the old girl today after a good clean down. She really is looking lovely and genuine, there is only a stupidly small amount of surface rust which is really just discolouration. Also i believe the fuel tank to be original, and dad's got all of the documents for the beetle including the original doc of when it was completed on the production line.

The engine replacement actual happened when it was almost new (like a few months old), so was replaced by VW themselves in germany, the engine was an 1131cc (24.5 PS). We know this to be true as document was amended and we still have the original clutch that is date stamped.

Take a look on thesamba.com shes up at £15,000.00 on there but give dad (Mervyn) a ring and have a chat if anyones interested.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=718864 

Cheers....happy dubbing! :)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie
15 years ago
Welcome to the forum, sorry we all discussed your car so much.
But it really is very nice, its great to see so many nice original old parts in great condition, even the split headlights.
I hope you get the chance to take it out to a show before you sell it during 2009.
Maybe Stanford Hall 1st week May if you still have it then?
:beer:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JARV
15 years ago
Glad to see that my old Splitty has turned up after all these years!

Just a bit more history for you, I swapped a 1302LS karmann cabriolet for this split back in '87 with a guy from Slough and I think he had bought it from someone in France. It had never been registered which I did and used it for 6 months or so then advertised it for £ 7.5K- but no luck (no internet in those days of course so had to rely on the few publications around).

A mate of mine was into VW's aswell and had a nice Wizard convertible so we did a deal and he had the Split and I had his Wizard - next thing I new the split was off to Norwich and thought that was the last I'd seen of it until I put an enquiry on the HVW website to see if anyone knew of the car.

Would be good to see it on the road again.........:d :d

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

harveypj
15 years ago

A mate of mine was into VW's aswell and had a nice Wizard convertible so we did a deal and he had the Split and I had his Wizard

JARV wrote:

:shock: how times have changed.

Stock......the new custom
JARV
15 years ago
Ha Ha yes, certainly have - it was peppermint green aswell proper late '80's colour!! - but I thought I looked cool at the time
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

harveypj
15 years ago
:lol: funny you said that, I was going to originaaly add 'I bet it was a real bright colour too'

I must admit, back in the late 80's I had a bitt of a thing for them aswell, louvered running boards, nerf bars...the works:oops:
Stock......the new custom
Standard split
15 years ago
This car is very nice for sure. But no-one has mentioned the four wings. I'm not sure they are original, the front ones don't appear to have the right profile and the back ones sport the later rear lights which are also too high up. For a price of £15,000 they really should be. Later semaphores too :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
dubrockers
15 years ago
what happened to the overriders ?
does look a nice car but cable brakes
48REME
15 years ago

dubrockers wrote:

Cable brakes? What's wrong with that? They are no more or less performant or dangerous than drum brakes.
And they don't leak! I've always driven with cable brakes and I think they're great!:d
48REME
15 years ago

This car is very nice for sure. But no-one has mentioned the four wings. I'm not sure they are original, the front ones don't appear to have the right profile and the back ones sport the later rear lights which are also too high up. For a price of £15,000 they really should be. Later semaphores too :wink:

Standard split wrote:

I agree with John...and the rear view mirror is not standard split. All these things add up when you need to replace them for the original bits!
Standard split
15 years ago

dubrockers wrote:

Why does such nonsense continue about cable brakes:!:

As Nicholas says they don't leak. Furthermore a well adjusted cable brake system is a match for early hydraulic brakes. The brakes on my 1950 standard are fantastic – but the shoes, drums and cables are in excellent condition. In an emergency stop it seems equal to any early hydraulic Beetle i've owned.

The problem with the cables is that after a few 'emergency stops' you really need to adjust the cables to keep performance tip-top, not so with the hydraulic type of course. So a little more maintenance if you drive with a heavy foot, but no more really if you drive your car as a vintage car deserves to be treated.

As I don't use my cars regularly, I find cables much better for collecting. I have stood Standard Beetles up for 10 years plus and the brakes still work well when I eventually get the car running. Standing De Luxes up for such a period would see the hydraulic brakes rotting out and a nice bit of brake system rebuilding with those rotting hoses, rusting pipes and leaking cylinders. Having said, that for me my 1949 model De Luxe is the best of both worlds – as its such an early De Luxe it has cable brakes. I've owned this car for 24 years and have NEVER touched the brakes which still work fine :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I've owned this car for 24 years and have NEVER touched the brakes which still work fine :wink:

Standard split wrote:

You mean you've actually driven it recently???! :lol: :wink:
Standard split
15 years ago
I gave it a run 3 years ago after 19 years of standing, everything worked:!:

How many other cars, buses, vans or lorries could do that:?: