Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
I want to get some stock seat covers (Platinum basket weave) for my '66 Beetle. Wolfsburg West do them, they are quite expensive with the shipping costs. TMI also do them, off white basket weave, cheaper but cannot send a swatch, which Wolfsburg did as I have some original door cards I can compare it too. Any suggestions what to do, or anywhere else before I make the final decision, as I do want them to look original:?:

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Dubster
15 years ago

I want to get some stock seat covers (Platinum basket weave) for my '66 Beetle. Wolfsburg West do them, they are quite expensive with the shipping costs. TMI also do them, off white basket weave, cheaper but cannot send a swatch, which Wolfsburg did as I have some original door cards I can compare it too. Any suggestions what to do, or anywhere else before I make the final decision, as I do want them to look original:?:

Rach66 wrote:

Heritage sent me some TMI swatches during the summer of 2008, give them a call.

I'd be interested in what you go for in the end, I have a similar job to do this summer and I want to car to look as correct as possible.

December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thanks for that Dubster:d , will try them and let you know what ones to go for.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Can I ask, should a '66 have smooth or basketweave vinyl?
Dubster
15 years ago

Can I ask, should a '66 have smooth or basketweave vinyl?

Rach66 wrote:

Basketweave, what model exactly is your bug?
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Ah thanks:d, he's a 1966 1300 Deluxe in Ruby Red.
crazydaze
15 years ago

Ah thanks:d, he's a 1966 1300 Deluxe in Ruby Red.

Rach66 wrote:

I used platinum TMI seat covers, sunvisors and headliner and door cards in my Ruby Red '66 1300:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Alex, that looks stunning, thanks for the pics:d
crazydaze
15 years ago

Alex, that looks stunning, thanks for the pics:d

Rach66 wrote:

No problem. the seat covers that TMI do are very similar to original ones but not quite identical in the exact detailing. They work great for me though, I sourced them through Karmann Konnection and they have been fitted since 1998!

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Would you know if Wolfsburg West style theirs the same as TMI, or closer to the originals?
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I would be very surprised if they are not all from TMI, and you have to buy TMI from an agent regardless, so KK or Heritage are ideal and if you can get to either of them, they will have samples to look at I expect, just try to get the best price from both, but remembering that the $ is crap so they will seem more expensive than usual at the moment regardless.
Email Jules from KK on here.

I am not a fan of early TMI beetle interiors, but only as I dont like new interiors myself, and the vinyl pre55 stuff they sell is completely incorrect and they should'nt be selling it to people.
BUT I do think the basketweave vinyls are great :d
The only thing that kills a new recover is if you dont either repad the seats if needed or get a trimmer to fit the covers and pad up the seats back to original level if they need it.
Saggy covers look REALLY bad! and you see so many in cars, where as when nice fitting they look proper like crazydaze ruby which is a beauty ^ :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thank you :d
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Ask this guy about his 66 interior! They are complete seats but if they are the right price you could get someone to remove the covers from the donors and put them on your seat frames, just to keep yours more original!

VZi link 
William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thank you, much appreciated!!
:d

Lenny
15 years ago
I have the correct 66 only seat covers. We make them here at our company.

Here is a picture of the correct seat covers. If your interested let me know. TMI covers are not very close to the original style..

https://www.classicvws.com/interiors/jay-4.jpg 

Lenny
Lenny Copp

www.classicvws.com
mrsherbie
15 years ago
^ Order these Rach66! Lenny Copp is the king of superb interiors!

Lenny, thats useful to know that you make 60's also, yours (and Bernard Newburys) split and oval interiors are some of the very few best quality as close to factory re-trims I have ever seen in early cars :d :beer: ( and I hate re-trims!)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thanks for the recommendation Mrs Herbie:d
And thank you all for your help:d
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

I have the correct 66 only seat covers. We make them here at our company.

Here is a picture of the correct seat covers. If your interested let me know. TMI covers are not very close to the original style..

https://www.classicvws.com/interiors/jay-4.jpg 

Lenny

Lenny wrote:

Have emailed you Lenny, thanks:d
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Is it only '66 seats that have Platinum grey?
I'm asking because I was offered '65 seats, and apart from not knowing if the seats will fit, I read that '65 seat were Oxford grey.

Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Bit of an update.

Have found original '66 back seat and door cards.
After a week of scrubbing they look like this
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Now I just need original front seats, but can I bloomin' find a pair. 😞