kdf38
15 years ago
I asked this guy for pics of the VINS and chassis/engine/ body numbers about 4-6 times after he asked for my address to send them to. 😳 He never sent them. I wanted help him to see if it might be part 52 or a
former RHD 52 sunroof. Did anyone get pics of those numbers?

Mike
Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
Dubster
15 years ago
Well it has sold... for £2650 to someone based in the Manchester area, saying that their last piece of ebay feedback was "He is a deceitfull swindler! Be carefull!"

Possibly out of the frying pan and into the fire for the hapless frankenbeetle?

It'll be interesting to see if the car show up on the show-circuit during 2009.
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Q: if you need a hand sorting any of these dicks out on a dark night im in !!!! 24-Dec-08
A: Thanks mate, but I have realised these dicks normally play with thenselves cause they have no friends.........Ans there emails are a cry for attention....Thanks for yor positive attitude and merry christmas.............

I love how he never mentions the help people have given him! 😳 :roll:

I doubt he will be on here again!:twisted:

It'll be interesting to see if the car show up on the show-circuit during 2009.

Dubster wrote:

My guess is that it will fall to pieces when it is driven so im guessing,....no!:d I do really hope that it is kept on the road and is not just junked as it is a cool when the new owner finds out what a patchwork quilt it is!
William
Dubster
15 years ago

I love how he never mentions the help people have given him! 😳 :roll:

I doubt he will be on here again!:twisted:

My guess is that it will fall to pieces when it is driven so im guessing,....no!:d I do really hope that it is kept on the road and is not just junked as it is a cool when the new owner finds out what a patchwork quilt it is!

54 Gertie wrote:

I too doubt we'll hear from him again, although it would be nice to have a proper look around the car, I bet it has a intriguing story to tell.

PS. I've just bumped into you on VZi 🙂
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I too doubt we'll hear from him again, although it would be nice to have a proper look around the car, I bet it has a intriguing story to tell.

PS. I've just bumped into you on VZi :)

Dubster wrote:

Yeah it would be nice to see it in the flesh at some point!

Good to find you on VZi!:lol:
William
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Will the fun never end? :lol: :lol:

Yes, its back on Ebay.............

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Beetle-Rare-Splitscreen-Split-screen-IMPORTED_W0QQitemZ260343583355QQihZ016QQcategoryZ18303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem 

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
IN2VWS
15 years ago
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Me Me Me! I have a new Mini and I have been considering selling it! It must surely be destiny?! ( Oh hang on though, it that such a good swap.. :?: :? ( maybe the new Audi I want is a better deal after all :lol: )

Interesting though, after all those different chassis/etc numbers given out to bidders, now it turns out to be a 60's shell on a 70's pan? :shock:
I see a quality numberplate on the horizon :shock: :lol:
"I would like an 'H' please Bob" 

I wish I was more interested though, I would love to look over it properly.

Beat me over the head and remind me never to sell a car on ebay and go through all this punishment that we are putting this poor guy through ! :shock: :lol:
But I really dont know what people actually expect when they buy old vw's unseen on ebay from poor/3rd world countries! Russian Roulette gives better odds of getting a good one :shock: :lol:

I was just reading somewhere about 3 splitvans arriving at uk docks inside 1 x 40ft container :shock: :?: :shock:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I realise I have advertised this car again so please do not email me useless questions regarding the auction as I will not answer them

He sounds like a really nice approachable Ebayer!

William
crazydaze
15 years ago

Successful winning bidder would need to pay a deposit of 500.00 via PayPal within 24 hours of the winning bid. Please no exceptions. If you have not got the money just stick to dreaming. This car will need to be towed away and not driven. The last time I drove this car was in June 2008.

Should that not read IF it goes for over £500 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Real sorry to see someone get stitched up on buying a car, but when they KNOW what it is and refuse to take questions when trying to re-sell it for the second time, I have little sympathy for them. People here and on thesamba.com have done everything they can to offer assistance, everything was fine for him when he was going to rip someone off for ££££, thank goodness people ARE so passionate about these cars and willing to spend their time informing potential buyers and protecting the hobby and the scene from these kinds of people.

Alex.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Should that not read IF it goes for over £500 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Real sorry to see someone get stitched up on buying a car, but when they KNOW what it is and refuse to take questions when trying to re-sell it for the second time, I have little sympathy for them. People here and on thesamba.com have done everything they can to offer assistance, everything was fine for him when he was going to rip someone off for ££££, thank goodness people ARE so passionate about these cars and willing to spend their time informing potential buyers and protecting the hobby and the scene from these kinds of people.

Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

Amen! :beer:

I think what he doesnt get is that we were not talking about his car because its not original but because he was stating that it was!
William
IN2VWS
15 years ago
I wonder if the family member from whom he purchased the car in Indonesia, received a Christmas card from him last Christmas.....

mrsherbie
15 years ago
But, I still do think there must be a 52 lost under there somewhere because 1-0364839 does fall into series as a 52 number? ( unless its a restamp, but I dont see why they would have bothered in Indonesia?!)
We should probably leave him alone now because we will all feel very guilty if it does turn out to be partly 52 after all! :d :beer:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago

We should probably leave him alone now because we will all feel very guilty if it does turn out to be partly 52 after all! :d :beer:

mrsherbie wrote:

I dont think I will! :lol: :twisted:
William
GKL 7
15 years ago

I dont think I will! :lol: :twisted:

54 Gertie wrote:

Enough already:roll:
Robin Allen
15 years ago
Oh I wish I'd seen this thread earlier - just spent ages reading through all the comments etc. One point that wasn't brought up which might be of interest "for future reference" - regarding the chassis number. 1-0364839 is a 1952 number, but 10364839 is much later (without digging out my books I can't remember when the 10 millionth beetle was built) and I've seen VW (and other make) chassis numbers recorded both ways on Registration records. The prefix part of the chassis number was often omitted on older vehicle records. Always worth checking this when looking at a car for sale. There was a beach buggy on the show circuit claiming to be 1947-based. It definitely wasn't and what's more the chassis stamping was clearly non-original, which would fail a DVLA inspection nowadays. I agree that bits of the red & white car look a bit like '52, but many more parts don't. My best bet is that it has a modified Oval body on a 1970's chassis. I would love to have examined the stamped chassis number, the VIN plate and, if it is a split/oval, the stamped body number which should be below the VIN plate. By the way, where's the brake master cylinder? Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I am a vehicle inspector for DVLC as well as a VW and classic car anorak. It would have been very interesting if application to register this one had been received through the office where I work.
Robin Allen
15 years ago
....and regarding Q plates, under current rules for cars like Beetles that have a separate chassis and body. If the chassis is original, unmodified and the chassis number has not been "disturbed" - it gets an age-related reg to the age of the chassis (subject to suitable documentary evidence being provided). It doesn't matter if the body is from a different vehicle! So if this "1952" Beetle body is on an UNMODIFIED 1973 chassis, it will get a 1973 plate, it only needs MOT (not SVA) and it will not be entitled to "historic" free tax disc. However, if the chassis has been chopped or modified (example - home-made VW trikes) it gets a Q after being submitted to VOSA for an SVA test. If the chassis number has been removed, DVLA will issue a chassis number (or VIN = Vehicle Identification Number) and again it gets a Q plate. If you see a 17 digit VIN starting SABTVR0... that's a DVLA VIN. The exception to the modified chassis rule is a concession to kit car manufacturers - if the chassis has been shortened to build a commercially available kit (eg, Chessil / Tigan Speedsters, GP buggy, etc), SVA will be required but the car will be re-registered with an age-related (to donor car) reg., assuming the donor car's documentation is available. The date of manufacture will become the date of the SVA certificate so it can't have the free "historic" tax. It has to be PLG and paid for. For age-related or Q plates, there is also a First Registration Fee payable, currently £55. I hope this helps someone!