64rotbox
15 years ago
There was a two part feature on a bloke restoring (in the style of the times) a black Oval, 55 BXP, in the first two issues of Safer Motoring I bought. Floor sections from a scrapper brazed in, painted with an electric spraygun, that kind of caper, but still a nice looking black Oval. Does anyone know where it went? Last on the road around 1984, it would seem from DVLA records.

(I was nine years old at the time... frightening.)
You can call me Al.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
That Reg rings a bell.
I'll have to think on.
Was it local to N.Wales,if not,any ideas where it was located.
64rotbox
15 years ago
I don't think it was local, no. I might have got the plate a bit wrong actually, but I don't think so. I'll see if I can find the magazine and scan the offending article. April 1980, I think it was... a blurry shot of a silver 1303 cabrio on the front.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
15 years ago

I don't think it was local, no. I might have got the plate a bit wrong actually, but I don't think so. I'll see if I can find the magazine and scan the offending article. April 1980, I think it was... a blurry shot of a silver 1303 cabrio on the front.

64rotbox wrote:

Are you sure that Reg is not 55 UXB.
Robin Allen
15 years ago
The reg wouldn't be 55 UXB - unissued series until recent times when DVLA used numbers before UX* as "age-related" marks, but only with three numbers. Are you thinking of UXK 54 (Black 1954 Cabrio) or there was a scruffy split-window, originally light green, with a number something like ** BXP - I'll have to look through my old photos. Got a feeling it changed hands, lost its plate and got restored as a cal looker. I really hope I'm wrong!
64rotbox
15 years ago
I'm absolutely convinced it was 55 BXP, although I can't find the magazine at the moment to confirm. Definitely a black Oval, though. There were two features on the car, one midway through the work (with a scientific diagram of how the roof was painted in 4 parts, and a cartoon of the bloke's missus standing on the spraygun airline, stepping off in the next panel with hilarious consequences), then another a while later showing the final result.

*edit* It's in one of these magazines! Image from ebay, I still can't find my copies...

UserPostedImage
You can call me Al.
VW Stan
15 years ago
UXB 66 Perhaps?

uxb66.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
GKL 7
15 years ago

UXB 66 Perhaps?

VW Stan wrote:

Sorry:roll: thats the car i was thinking of.Isn't it owned by an older chap in Lancashire.
GKL 7
15 years ago

but only with three numbers.

Robin Allen wrote:

Yeah right!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
VW Stan
15 years ago

Sorry:roll: thats the car i was thinking of.Isn't it owned by a older chap in Lancashire.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yep, John Cross
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
64rotbox
15 years ago
Nope. It's not a car from the show circuit, or one that's well known (as is being proved at the moment, I think!) It comes up on a DVLA search as a black Beetle registered in 1961, oddly, but a black Beetle nonetheless, and as I say it appears to have been off the road since 1985. Nothing special about it, it's just that being in the first VW magazine I ever bought, it's a car that's stuck in my mind somewhat.

Robin - is the split you're thinking of 42 BXA? I remember seeing it at a local event about 12 years ago.
You can call me Al.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
I've managed to find my copy of the April 1980 issue of Safer Motoring but sadly there's no article about this beetle. In fact most of the magazine is talking about water cooled models. I did spot one letter with the title, 'Split dashboard' but even this turned out to be a complaint about a split in the leathercloth dashboard covering of the reader's 1975 Golf L !!
The beetle article must be in another issue. After all, it's nearly 30 years ago and the memory plays tricks.
64rotbox
15 years ago
I'm going to have to turn the house upside down, then... back in several hours.
You can call me Al.
64rotbox
15 years ago
Found it. Not the first feature I was on about though, this is the second one showing the finished car from the Jan/Feb '81 issue.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My memory is intact, then. Which is probably more than the car is, these days.
You can call me Al.
55Kab
15 years ago

Robin - is the split you're thinking of 42 BXA? I remember seeing it at a local event about 12 years ago.

64rotbox wrote:

I'm sure Robin is thinking of 42 BXA. I recall seeing it at Stanford Hall one year. Got photos somewhere, I'll have to dig 'em up. Can post if anyone would like to see them.

Would like to know what happened to it as I'm not aware of any complete and running splits that became Cal-Lookers in the UK.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Well done in finding the article. I've now found my copy of that issue and it makes interesting reading. Perhaps the car is still surviving in the owner's garage, unused, but waiting to make another appearance?
GKL 7
15 years ago

Well done in finding the article. I've now found my copy of that issue and it makes interesting reading. Perhaps the car is still surviving in the owner's garage, unused, but waiting to make another appearance?

RoRoVw wrote:

Does it not say in the article who the owner was?Alan Perkins reporting, and it's worded as if the writer is the owner.So Ben you just have to find him and you may find the car:wink:
42 BXA was that owned by Martin Southwell,he Standardised a Deluxe,wouldn't say made it cal look.
Painted a semi gloss dark green.
If not where the hell have all these cars gone.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Does it not say in the article who the owner was?Alan Perkins reporting, and it's worded as if the writer is the owner.So Ben you just have to find him and you may find the car:wink:
42 BXA was that owned by Martin Southwell,he Standardised a Deluxe,wouldn't say made it cal look.
Painted a semi gloss dark green.
If not where the hell have all these cars gone.

'50 Karmann wrote:

42BXA was owned by a chap called Mark or Martin Ridout. He lived somewhere in North Yorkshire, but I have a feeling he sold the car in the mid to late 90s. I lost track of it at that point.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
15 years ago
But I thought 42BXA was one of 'Standard Split' John's cars... John, can you confirm?
64rotbox
15 years ago

you just have to find him and you may find the car:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Gotcha.

UserPostedImage

:beer:

I'd best get my team of expert hackers on the job...

UserPostedImage
You can call me Al.