dry&heavy
15 years ago
pic of my 52 zwitter
went in for mot yesterday fingers crossed does'nt need much doing
it's solid little car apart from the paint 😛
still in original chestnut brown

IMG00117.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagevw
15 years ago
I should leave it,
Just have fun to drive it and take it to Hessisch Oldendorf this year!
If you don't like to drive it you can always sell it to me! :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
54 Gertie
15 years ago
If its original paint leave it, if its not then still leave it! IMHO!

Our 55 is is its original colur (a very good match) but was resprayed in 87! The paint is still good and we have no desire to respray it!

But at the end of the day it is your choice and you should do what you feel is righyt for both you but more importantly the car!:wink: If the paint is going to make the body deteriorate then in my opinion it needs doing now rather than in a few years when it may need welding

Possibly a similar situation to Peter Harvey and his 58 

Yet another brown car on pre67, what does that mkae it now? Three I think!:wink:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
More pics????????:wink:
William
harveypj
15 years ago
Here we go again :lol:

Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Here we go again :lol:

harveypj wrote:

:lol:

And the saga continues!

Hope you dont mind me linking to your thread, just thought it made a very good point! Originality is best but having a car that rots in front of you eyes isnt!:wink:
William
harveypj
15 years ago
How bad is the paint?

just remember: rust only ever gets worse.

Paint it now or...... weld it later,in which case you'll have to paint it anyway.

54 Gertie
15 years ago

How bad is the paint?

just remember: rust only ever gets worse.

Paint it now or...... weld it later,in which case you'll have to paint it anyway.

harveypj wrote:

Agreed!

Thats been my ethos with my 63! It had a few bits of rust bubbling in the gutters so I decided to dig it out and repaint the gutters! I will not look as good when it is finished but I can be happy knowing that the car will not need major welding in a few years time!

This will not add value to my car but it will give me peace of mind!:wink:
William
harveypj
15 years ago

This will not add value to my car but it will give me peace of mind!:wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Don't be so sure Will, Give it a few years and it will be worth more than if it had continued to rust:wink:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Don't be so sure Will, Give it a few years and it will be worth more than it it had continued to rust:wink:

harveypj wrote:

True and I have no intention of selling!

All I need to do now is find the little S**T driving around with my original engine! A garage a few years ago supposedly replaced the engine becasue it was "knackered" and then the owner of the garage was driving around with the engine in the back of his 63!:twisted:

I WILL find it!:wink:
William
dry&heavy
15 years ago

More pics????????:wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

prob will sort it out after my 59 has had it's respray back to coral red
need this to drive to work while that's being done  IMG00120.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG00118.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Driving a zwitter to work, I envy you!:d 😎

all original apart from the wheels according to Volkszone!:wink:

Bloody rare, well done!:beer:
William
dry&heavy
15 years ago
yeh the one thing i thought missing/changed was the interior light but it's got the one without a switch so happy about that
all trim and handles are dull chrome and the ashtray does'nt have the handle
plus the seat's have been covered at some point but the original cloth seats are still underneath in good order:d
one of the heart tail lights has been replaced with a blue one but easy to change colour
also missing one runner board, batwing horn in steering wheel, and front wolfsburg badge
was missing glove box front but vw garden helped me out with that already
54 Gertie
15 years ago

plus the seat's have been covered at some point but the original cloth seats are still underneath in good order:d

dry&heavy wrote:

Probably protected it! Suprised that the paint has faded that much for a swedish car!:wink:

William
dry&heavy
15 years ago
yeh paint sort of sold it to me looked sad needed some TLC
knowing my luck prob sat in a scrap yard for years out there
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Just noticed its on sprints, Nice wheels but I prefer originals!:wink:
William
dry&heavy
15 years ago
yeh i'm gonna leave those wheels on at the moment
only thing i did spend £££ on was a Stainless Steel Abarth Exhaust but it does look nice
GKL 7
15 years ago
Aren't Zwitters great,i love 'em.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Aren't Zwitters great,i love 'em.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I always wish they made reverse Zwitters with an oval window and a split dash! :wink:

How cool would that be, the best bits of both era car in one!:wink: :lol:

William
mrsherbie
15 years ago
:beer:
OOh Its lovely! :d

( I am still totally amazed you found 2 almost identical zwitters at the same time! :shock: )

For me, and because it looks like it is still shiny! I would try first to keep it waxed constantly and not paint it. My oval I wax because it is beige so the 'white' wax residue is ok, but our brown 50 that is a bit more surface rusty and also brown is ankor waxed which works perfectly because the wax/oil is also brown.
But if you do decide to ankor wax and then later decide to repaint it you will have problems getting it off and new paint over.
Its a decision alright! :?

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann