Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

Women making decisions, this could be a long one.......:wink:

Would be interested to see what they look like on a stock bug! Have only really seen them on some of the Restowagen crews cars and I have to say that they do look the Bogs Dollocks!:wink: :lol:

(ps theres nothing to say that you cant have both types! It has been done....:wink: )

54 Gertie wrote:

But then it would take me ages to decide which ones to look in!:lol:

Yes, a long one indeed, my husband is already rolling his eyes at the subject:lol:
I haven't seen any on a stock bug, they're usually on the lowered tinkered with beasties.
I hope I don't get frowned upon by the stock followers.:(  0501vwt_06z+1952_Volkswagen_Beetle+Front_Passenger You have insufficient rights to see the content.
dubrockers
15 years ago

It is quite liberating, in an odd way, not having mirrors, but getting out of the drive, and being on the motorway etc, I do need them.

Rach66 wrote:

all i drive is a 56 never had mirrors plus have to drive on m25 everyday for work, just do it rip them of and enjoy the freedom you have a mirror inside it's all you need
plus a beetle you can turn your head and see if anythings beside you, women i ask you :lol:
for £150 i can sort you a pair out as just moved to the uk and have lots of spares to sell
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

all i drive is a 56 never had mirrors plus have to drive on m25 everyday for work, just do it rip them of and enjoy the freedom you have a mirror inside it's all you need
plus a beetle you can turn your head and see if anythings beside you women i ask you :lol:

dubrockers wrote:

I don't have to rip them off, they fell off on their own:roll: :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I don't have to rip them off, they fell off on their own:roll: :lol:

Rach66 wrote:

Good old Beetles, they dis-assemble themselves!:wink:

shame they cant make bundles of cash to replace the bits that fall off!:lol:
William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
vicpolky
15 years ago
We run a pair of alberts on our '65. They work pretty well practically - both me and Jude can see both mirrors from the drivers position and find them useful.

One criticism I've heard from others is that they wobble so much that they're not useful - but we've never had that problem - I would recommend that if you get some, og or repro, that you take the glass out and have a play with the tightness of the ball joint to get it so you can *just* adjust the heads - plus if you get the arm nice and tight to the front quarter, you should have no problems.

It's worth knowing that you have to cut down your front quarter trim pieces a little to fit them too.

Hope that helps :d
crazydaze
15 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

We run a pair of alberts on our '65. They work pretty well practically - both me and Jude can see both mirrors from the drivers position and find them useful.

One criticism I've heard from others is that they wobble so much that they're not useful - but we've never had that problem - I would recommend that if you get some, og or repro, that you take the glass out and have a play with the tightness of the ball joint to get it so you can *just* adjust the heads - plus if you get the arm nice and tight to the front quarter, you should have no problems.

It's worth knowing that you have to cut down your front quarter trim pieces a little to fit them too.

Hope that helps :d

vicpolky wrote:

It does thanks!:d

Shame about the trim, but better than drilling holes for them, which had me debating even more.
vicpolky
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

Ahh they were the days, eh? :d 😎
crazydaze
15 years ago

Ahh they were the days, eh? :d 😎

vicpolky wrote:

shhhhhhh! jeezz you'll get us both thrown outta here! :lol:

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Love the piccys!
Where can you get clear indicator lenses from?
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Love the piccys!
Where can you get clear indicator lenses from?

Rach66 wrote:

If you mean the ones in this picture the they are for an earlier car, they look like the slim type! They are US spec lenses and you can buy repros!:wink:

They are the same style as mine!

UserPostedImage

Will 😎
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Like these!:d

UserPostedImage
William
vicpolky
15 years ago
Quite right, our '65 shown above (LJH) has earlier indicators (don't know why).
Anyway, as Gertie says, you can get hold of the lenses pretty easily in orange and clear - I think you'll need orange bulbs though to pass a UK MOT, which are harder to find if you're still 6v - we had to paint some clear ones in glass paint. (If anyone does know where to get orange 6v indicator bulbs let us know :wink:)
vicpolky
15 years ago

shhhhhhh! jeezz you'll get us both thrown outta here! :lol:

Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. Who are you? :wink: :d
crazydaze
15 years ago
Rach your car should have the larger indicators than those shown, the clear lenses are avaiable from companies like Custom & Commercial.

Alex.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Quite right, our '65 shown above (LJH) has earlier indicators (don't know why).
Anyway, as Gertie says, you can get hold of the lenses pretty easily in orange and clear - I think you'll need orange bulbs though to pass a UK MOT, which are harder to find if you're still 6v - we had to paint some clear ones in glass paint. (If anyone does know where to get orange 6v indicator bulbs let us know :wink:)

vicpolky wrote:

Im glad it wasnt just my eyes making them look older!:wink:
William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thanks you. It has got the larger indicators, I was wondering if they did clear lenses, and amber bulbs for them:d
crazydaze
15 years ago

Thanks you. It has got the larger indicators, I was wondering if they did clear lenses, and amber bulbs for them:d

Rach66 wrote:

I don't know about 6v bulbs (see Vic's post) but the lenses are available at most of the shows from traders, look for the genuine Hella ones, originally I believe for theItalian export market.

Alex
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago