gary c
  • gary c
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi to everyone on this great forum been lurking around here for quite a while thought i would make my first post to see if anyone recognises our old beetle and hope it maybe in some ones lockup somewhere ? registerd UDK 142 a rochdale number plate registerd 28th feb 1959 build date probably 1st monday in feb which was 02/02 1959 according to chassis no which i have. It was blue probably fjord blue but could have been capri blue, i guess i could get a birth certificate to find out? This was my parents car when i was growing up which they bought in 1961 from a guy whom my dad worked with who along with his brother bought new VW's every 2 years from the supplying vw dealers being " LAWSON and DEAN's " of rochdale my parents kept the car till about 1970/71 when it was sold to some one my dad worked with. I have been to the local archives office and got the dates as above and chassis no engine no etc and the last entry as far as rochdale is concerned is that west ridings council wanted the registration documents to be sent to their wakefield office and the documents were sent on 31/o1 1972 so some one over there bought it. ive since been over to wakefield archive office but their records are incomplete so that is as far as i can trace it . I have checked the dvla website but nothing, but the section that is available to public is not 100% coverage just cars that have been taxed "lately i have couple of cars here that havent been on the road since 70's not on there and that buggatti they just pulled out of that lock up wasnt on there either i know it has more than likely gone but feel there is still a chance its resting somewhere, does any one know how much info i could get out of dvla ? will they tell me if it has been scrapped ? and then that would be that? or does anyone recognise it i have got some old photos showing me next to the car in late 60's ill have to dig out
sorry for the long post but it was this car what started it all for me and i now have a couple of vw's but would love this one back if its still out there
Gary
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Hi to everyone on this great forum been lurking around here for quite a while thought i would make my first post to see if anyone recognises our old beetle and hope it maybe in some ones lockup somewhere ?

registerd UDK 142 a rochdale number plate registerd 28th feb 1959 build date probably 1st monday in feb which was 02/02 1959 according to chassis no which i have. It was blue probably fjord blue but could have been capri blue, i guess i could get a birth certificate to find out?

This was my parents car when i was growing up which they bought in 1961 from a guy whom my dad worked with who along with his brother bought new VW's every 2 years from the supplying vw dealers being " LAWSON and DEAN's " of rochdale

my parents kept the car till about 1970/71 when it was sold to some one my dad worked with. I have been to the local archives office and got the dates as above and chassis no engine no etc and the last entry as far as rochdale is concerned is that west ridings council wanted the registration documents to be sent to their wakefield office and the documents were sent on 31/o1 1972 so some one over there bought it.

ive since been over to wakefield archive office but their records are incomplete so that is as far as i can trace it . I have checked the dvla website but nothing, but the section that is available to public is not 100% coverage just cars that have been taxed "lately

i have couple of cars here that havent been on the road since 70's not on there and that buggatti they just pulled out of that lock up wasnt on there either i know it has more than likely gone but feel there is still a chance its resting somewhere, does any one know how much info i could get out of dvla ?

will they tell me if it has been scrapped ? and then that would be that? or does anyone recognise it

i have got some old photos showing me next to the car in late 60's ill have to dig out
sorry for the long post but it was this car what started it all for me and i now have a couple of vw's but would love this one back if its still out there
Gary

gary c wrote:

I don't have any answers myself Gary, but hang on in there, you've come to the right place to ask.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
It's unlikely that it has survived, but you never know.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Dont loose hope!

We know some people who owned a bug in the 80s and had lost all hope of ever finding it again, until they saw us driving it on the cruise at Vanfest! :wink: :lol:
William
gary c
  • gary c
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi just noticed todays date . Its 50 years ago today exactly since this beetle was first registered and funnily enough im pretty certain it was also a saturday 28/02 1959 same as today , be nice to know if its still at the back of someones garage somewhere ? like Rich says you never know thanks Gary
55Kab
15 years ago
I'm still looking Gary but in the meantime, any chance you can post up the pics of it?
gary c
  • gary c
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hey thanks 55kab i will have to get my scanner set up and get some pics on cheers