mrsherbie
15 years ago

The whole idea of having to SVA buggies is frankly laughable also. Its been perfectly alright since the sixties and now its suddenly not. Tell me a good reason why?? Nanny state. Burocracy gone mad.:evil:

JD wrote:

I disagree. 'cars' built from boxes of bits in someones garage, usually an amateur with little skill should be inspected for all round safety before being allowed on our roads.
And here is just 1 very good reason why :cry:

man kills his 4 children in modified land rover 

A Chesil kit is only around 50% a beetle yet that is what is on most of their docs, and they are legally allowed to do that which I think is far too generous of the DVLA, I would happily accept the job to slap Q plates on all those tupperware lunchboxes if it were up to me! :lol: I think the DVLA are correct with the way they want each vehicle identified correctly to EXACTLY what IT IS.

Long live Rattletrap:d
UserPostedImage

Sunroof53 wrote:

Back to Rattletrap, I agree with sunroof53 , its interest lies in the story far more than the metal :beer:

And anyway, there is no debate, as clearly from this pic ^ Rattletrap is in fact a '1950 zwitter post 55 oval split' :? :lol:

But what does it matter! It has survived one way or another, and long may it live on! I cant wait to see it out and about this year!! :d :beer: :d

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Here is the text with Tonys storys about the car.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

54 Gertie
15 years ago
My eyes hurt! :shock:

That makes a very interesting read!:wink:
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
im hoping to veiw it 2moz, if its not sold, but i think the museum its kept in is only open weekends! :roll:
Sunroof53
15 years ago

That makes a very interesting read!:wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol: Sorry forgot to add 'please zoom to view'
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I disagree. 'cars' built from boxes of bits in someones garage, usually an amateur with little skill should be inspected for all round safety before being allowed on our roads.
And here is just 1 very good reason why Crying or Very Sad

mrsherbie wrote:

Very big difference between changing the body of your Beetle for a glass fibre shell on a sometimes shortenend pan than a car built from boxes of bits.

I have no confidence in the SVA anyway, since it seems far more concerned with making sure the car has fog and reversing lights and that theres nothing pointy on it than it does with real safety issues of design and construction. Lots of totally standard old cars couldnĀ“t pass it if they were subjected to it, mainly due to dangerous pointy bits like non impact bumpers. Perhaps they should all be banned. Perhaps they will be.

When I read things like this... "Lincoln Crown Court heard Gresham had created a "Frankenstein" car that was kept on the road only by "cannibalising" parts from others."... I get worried. This is what we all do. The only difference is that this guy was clearly clueless.

Sorry to go off on an off topic rant!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

MINE TOO!! I cant read that! it must be sunroof53's funny idea of punishment! :lol:

When I read things like this... "Lincoln Crown Court heard Gresham had created a "Frankenstein" car that was kept on the road only by "cannibalising" parts from others."... I get worried. This is what we all do. The only difference is that this guy was clearly clueless.
Sorry to go off on an off topic rant!

JD wrote:

I also find this very chilling, far more detail on the cars faults and the guy and his business (modifying Landrovers!) in this film. Landrover or VW, there are people EXACTLY like this working in the vw scene too..

news report 

'driving too fast' court report 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
I have been told that the car is now sold.

Did somebody on here buy it?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I hope so!! :d
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
i received a call today to say it was sold to the guy who had first refusal, it was someone that knew tony for years, dunno who that is, i thought it was you rich :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Just realised where I recognised Rattletrap from......This VW book that I have has for ages!:wink:

There is a photo of it back on on the rear cover, but sadly nothing more inside! :cry:

Does anyone have a picture of this illusive prototype dashboard? Becasue in the few pictures I have seen of it the dash has allways just looked oval to me!:wink:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

i received a call today to say it was sold to the guy who had first refusal, it was someone that knew tony for years, dunno who that is, i thought it was you rich :lol:

stu wrote:

Not me, I didn't know the guy. I hope we get to see it at a few shows this year.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Just realised where I recognised Rattletrap from......This VW book that I have has for ages!:wink:

There is a photo of it back on on the rear cover, but sadly nothing more inside! :cry:

Does anyone have a picture of this illusive prototype dashboard? Becasue in the few pictures I have seen of it the dash has allways just looked oval to me!:wink:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

the cars a zwitter, it has an early oval dashboard with the aluminum starter button & no trim round the ashtray & a split rear window :d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

the cars a zwitter, it has an early oval dashboard with the aluminum starter button & no trim round the ashtray & a split rear window :d

stu wrote:

Yes but for example in that article they state that the car is something of a "prototype", not just a Zwitter! I am sure that it probably is just a zwitter but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?:wink: :?
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Not me, I didn't know the guy. I hope we get to see it at a few shows this year.

Rich Oakley wrote:

anyone on here know who the new owner is then?, be good to see it at a few shows
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Yes but for example in that article they state that the car is something of a "prototype", not just a Zwitter! I am sure that it probably is just a zwitter but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?:wink: :?

54 Gertie wrote:

maybe it was just a zwitter but made 2 years earlier than the other zwitters, even though the tailights are late 55 :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

maybe it was just a zwitter but made 2 years earlier than the other zwitters, even though the tailights are late 55 :lol:

stu wrote:

True, true!

But I douubt it to be honest!:wink: :lol:

Also does anyone know the exact year of this car?

Some books say 51, some places say 50 and other even say 52, making it a zwitter!:( :d :wink: :?
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

True, true!

But I douubt it to be honest!:wink: :lol:

Also does anyone know the exact year of this car?

Some books say 51, some places say 50 and other even say 52, making it a zwitter!:( :d :wink: :?

54 Gertie wrote:

i think its late 52 or early 53
GKL 7
15 years ago
Only one thing that puzzles me thru' all this what possible reason would Tony have had to falsify the year of his cars production.
VW Stan
15 years ago
In the August 73 Safer Motoring there's their first 'ancient beetles register' list and Tony states that it's a 1951 and the chassis number is 1-0433703
(Which makes it early 53!)
:wink:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!