54 Gertie
15 years ago

In the August 73 Safer Motoring there's their first 'ancient beetles register' list and Tony states that it's a 1951 and the chassis number is 1-0433703
(Which makes it early 53!)
:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

Dont suppose you would mind looking for our 55?

In the history an old owner says that he sent off for her to be in the ancient beetles register but he could not get hold of the august edition!

She would be down as a 54 (they were a bit off!:wink: ) Registration SDV 551, brown

The owner would be a Mr Perham!

Would really appreciate it if you would have a look for me! :d

Thanks!
William
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

Only one thing that puzzles me thru' all this what possible reason would Tony have had to falsify the year of his cars production.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Because the car he had in the seventies and beyond was an early '53 but the car that started the mileage claim was a '50 or '51 that he brought back from Germany. At some point between 1951 and 1970 the original cars identity was passed to a later model to continue the high mileage claim.

The story about it being a prototype was probably fabricated to explain its being a zwitter built in 1951.

That's my guess anyway... :?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Only one thing that puzzles me thru' all this what possible reason would Tony have had to falsify the year of his cars production.

'50 Karmann wrote:

He was an odd guy.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago
Maybe Rattletrap is on its way to the Wolfsburg museum having been bought by VW.:?
It says near the end of the magazine article on the previous page that Tony says there is a place ready for it there :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Maybe Rattletrap is on its way to the Wolfsburg museum having been bought by VW.:?
It says near the end of the magazine article on the previous page that Tony says there is a place ready for it there :d

Standard split wrote:

Must be true then.:d
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
RoRoVw
15 years ago

In the August 73 Safer Motoring there's their first 'ancient beetles register' list and Tony states that it's a 1951 and the chassis number is 1-0433703
(Which makes it early 53!)
:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

I have a September 1975 copy of Safer Motoring which contains 'List No5' of the Ancient Beetles Register. This is the earliest edition I seem to have. However it gives the dates of the magazines in which the four earlier parts of the Register appeared as being:
List 1 - August 1974
List 2 - September 1974
List 3 - October 1974
List 4 - December 1974

There were obviously even later lists in subsequent issues.
I wonder where all these cars are now?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Because the car he had in the seventies and beyond was an early '53 but the car that started the mileage claim was a '50 or '51 that he brought back from Germany. At some point between 1951 and 1970 the original cars identity was passed to a later model to continue the high mileage claim.

The story about it being a prototype was probably fabricated to explain its being a zwitter built in 1951.

That's my guess anyway... :?

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

I´d bet your right on the mark with this. Would explain a lot - a "prototype" that no-one else has ever heard of for example.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

RoRoVw wrote:

I know :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago

The story about it being a prototype was probably fabricated to explain its being a zwitter built in 1951

To have notched up enough miles to have the idea of replacing the first worn-out car with another must have been into the 1970's at a guess.

But back then, it must have been difficult to find a replacement black split-window Beetle anywhere other than Germany:?

As we know it's so much easier today to find these cars with the internet to use, but even now the car is usually abroad somewhere so you've got the hassle of getting it back:?:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

As we know it's so much easier today to find these cars with the internet to use, but even now the car is usually abroad somewhere so you've got the hassle of getting it back:?:

Standard split wrote:

Before the internet we had Exchange and Mart, even in the eighties there was at least one oval window beetle in there most weeks usually selling for between £50 - £100. Split window Beetles showed up too but at over £400 they were out of my price range. :wink:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
55Kab
15 years ago

RoRoVw wrote:

I think all this talk proves that a good on-line data base of preferably but not exclusive to, UK registered Vintage VW's is needed.

Would be fab to look at a website with Beetle's, Buses, Ghia's and T3's from say pre-53, 53-57, 57-64 and 64-67 depicting known or unknown cars, last sighting, where known > photos, original colour, chassis/engine numbers etc and owners story's, perhaps a car a month? Could even include those that got away like my Southampton scrapyard Oval.

Anyone fancy setting one up with me?

55Kab
15 years ago

As we know it's so much easier today to find these cars with the internet to use

Standard split wrote:

Certainly helpful but it can still be limited. I've been trying to track down the 60 RHD Cabrio I sold a few years ago. It's listed on the DVLA website but that's as far as I can get!
Standard split
15 years ago

Before the internet we had Exchange and Mart, even in the eighties there was at least one oval window beetle in there most weeks usually selling for between £50 - £100. Split window Beetles showed up too but at over £400 they were out of my price range.

I remember trawling through the Expand and Fart – it was never easy to get a split-window Beetle. It's easier today but not a breeze either. Ads for these were very scarce, some were still abroad anyway and description was not always accurate and there were no pictures either. Ovals were common though, but they were sold in the UK of course. And as for getting a split in a certain colour…[-x

55Kab
15 years ago
Found a couple more taken on that day at Stonor which incidentally was 1986, not 87 as I'd previously posted.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie
15 years ago

I think all this talk proves that a good on-line data base of preferably but not exclusive to, UK registered Vintage VW's is needed.

Would be fab to look at a website with Beetle's, Buses, Ghia's and T3's from say pre-53, 53-57, 57-64 and 64-67 depicting known or unknown cars, last sighting, where known > photos, original colour, chassis/engine numbers etc and owners story's, perhaps a car a month? Could even include those that got away like my Southampton scrapyard Oval.

Anyone fancy setting one up with me?

55Kab wrote:

Sounds great!

I've often thought about how useful and interesting it would be to have some sort of registry, but I wouldnt have a clue how to set one up!:wink: :lol:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

but I wouldnt have a clue how to set one up!:wink: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

I've got all the ideas Will, just need someone young who knows HTML!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

I've got all the ideas Will, just need someone young who knows HTML!

55Kab wrote:

HTM What?:wink:

Im pretty good with computers but when it comes to code and hosting a website it is waaayyyy past me!:lol:

But love the idea and would love to help, probably more with ideas however!:lol: :wink:

What are you thinking? A big long list with for instance a photo, reg number and year, then a link that you can click on to find out more about that specific car?

Also I suppose a search function for if you are trying to look up a specific a car! I would just quite happily sit there all day scanning through them, looking at pictures!:wink:

Just think, a new online "ancient Beetles" register!:d :wink: 😎

William
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

I remember trawling through the Expand and Fart – it was never easy to get a split-window Beetle. It's easier today but not a breeze either. Ads for these were very scarce, some were still abroad anyway and description was not always accurate and there were no pictures either. Ovals were common though, but they were sold in the UK of course. And as for getting a split in a certain colour…[-x

Standard split wrote:

I have little doubt that the illustrious Mr Levy would have thought nothing of hopping across the Channel to the Fatherland to look out a replacement black split in the days when they were rather more plentiful. :wink:

Mike
Standard split
15 years ago

I have little doubt that the illustrious Mr Levy would have thought nothing of hopping across the Channel to the Fatherland to look out a replacement black split in the days when they were rather more plentiful.

If that's so, he was a bit stuck for choice as he came back with apparently the wrong model:!:
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

If that's so, he apparently was a bit stuck for choice as he came back with the wrong model:!:

Standard split wrote:

But he made up a good story to disguise the fact! :d

Mike