1956ultra
15 years ago
Hi everyone, my name is Graeme. Been into volkswagens for about 17 years now and I still get that christmas morning feeling when i open that garage door to reveal my current vw! This is the first time that i have owned an imported vehicle and im struggling at the moment to try an build up a history on the car from when it was first made until it was brought over to the UK. The car was originally registered in Victoria Australia. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for getting the original colour combinations/material combinations basically everything inside and out from original, so that i can work to putting the car back to the way it came out of the factory. I do have the original owners certificate of motor car from when it was new which does state that the model number is N and the year of manufacture is 57, it also states that the original colour is Manly Tan (which it still is). On the certificate beside colour it then goes on to state the details of the wheels in 3 columns. The first coloum headed colour says DO, the second headed No. which says 4 and the 3rd column headed tires has PN in that box. I can scan the certificate if there is anyone who can help me interpret it. I also have the original registration of GOX 196. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Graeme.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
is there no original paint left on the car? under the hood? inside of glovebox lid etc? that can determine the og colour?
1956ultra
15 years ago
Hi mate the original colour of the car is still under the hood and decklid, its the wheel colour combination (if any) and also interior combinations that im interested in and require help with :?, hows the Oval search going?

G.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
UserPostedImage

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=63225 
Anything he doesn't know about Aussie cars is not worth knowing.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Hi mate the original colour of the car is still under the hood and decklid, its the wheel colour combination (if any) and also interior combinations that im interested in and require help with :?, hows the Oval search going?

G.

1956ultra wrote:

not great :lol:
1956ultra
15 years ago
Hi Rich, had a look just now on Johns site and was pleased to see that on the same page you copied that chart from is info on Manly Tan being used in 57, i will send the chap a message and hopefully with his guidance be able to move on a lot more. How's that 59 of yours doing? still gathering lots of dust in the garage :lol:.

Graeme.
1956ultra
15 years ago

not great :lol:

stu wrote:

Its a waiting game for sure :cry:
1956ultra
15 years ago
Rich, thank you for putting me in contact with John, hes been very helpful and has informed me that he knew of the car before it was shipped over here, hes also informed me that theres not many manly tan ovals around now and that he will try and find more info on the car for me :d

Regards

Graeme.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I assume John is this guy? He is very helpful.

useful OZ VWs site 

Sounds like you could possibly have the only manly tan oval in the UK?! I have'nt seen another I dont think? Thats very cool! :beer: (I can only think of Arthurs beige oz oval) !
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
vintagebug
15 years ago

Sounds like you could possibly have the only manly tan oval in the UK?! I have'nt seen another I dont think? Thats very cool! (I can only think of Arthurs beige oz oval) !

Some years ago I bought an off-white RHD Aussie import '56 from a guy in Guildford, Surrey. If my memory serves me right, which it probably doesn't any more (it's an age thing, comes to us all eventually!), I think he also had another RHD Aussie '56 for sale, and I think it was Manly Tan. Sorry but I don't remember the guy's name (that memory thing again)& I don't have the off-white one any longer. So there might be at least two in the country!

Graeme, where are you based?- I'm near Glasgow. As far as I know, there aren't too many vintage VWs around here, so it's always exciting to hear of another one which is hopefully nearby! :d
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
1956ultra
15 years ago

I assume John is this guy? He is very helpful.

useful OZ VWs site 

Sounds like you could possibly have the only manly tan oval in the UK?! I have'nt seen another I dont think? Thats very cool! :beer: (I can only think of Arthurs beige oz oval) !

mrsherbie wrote:

Yeh, thats John, he's been very good in informing me that he remembers my car and has mentioned that it didn't require painting before export :cry:, some you win some you loose lol, i now have the original interior colours and the wheel colours which will be great to see applied to the car in the future, i honestly never gave it a thought that it could be 1 of only a few in the country 😮 , im just happy it didn't sell a few months back.

Graeme.
1956ultra
15 years ago

Graeme, where are you based?- I'm near Glasgow. As far as I know, there aren't too many vintage VWs around here, so it's always exciting to hear of another one which is hopefully nearby! :d

vintagebug wrote:

Hi mate, im near Falkirk, i know a great bunch of guys over this way but they are more into qtr mile stuff, i was gonna cal-look it but i have now decided that it deserves a full resto back to factory look, am i close to you or are you the other side of glasgow? it would be great to see another Manly Tan 1 just for a little nosey at the colour.

G.
Chris
15 years ago

i was gonna cal-look it but i have now decided that it deserves a full resto back to factory look,
G.

1956ultra wrote:

:shock: 😳

Nice to know you've been rescued from 'the dark side'. Be careful for their forces are strong.....

UserPostedImage
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
vintagebug
15 years ago

am i close to you or are you the other side of glasgow? it would be great to see another Manly Tan 1 just for a little nosey at the colour.

I'm close to East Kilbride, I guess maybe a 40 minute drive from Falkirk. Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't buy the Manly Tan Oval from Guildford, I bought the other one the guy had for sale at the time- the off-white one. I don't own it now (the off-white one), I sold it several years ago. I do own another '56 now, I'm currently trying to collect original parts for it so I can restore it back to it's former glory :wink:

I'm looking for an original nearside rear wing in good condition if anyone wants to sell me one...! :d

Cheers
Dave
1956ultra
15 years ago

:shock: 😳

Nice to know you've been rescued from 'the dark side'. Be careful for their forces are strong.....

UserPostedImage

Chris wrote:

Its still very strong but i shall try my hardest to resist :wink:
1956ultra
15 years ago
[quote=vintagebug]

I'm close to East Kilbride.

My Better half comes from good old E.K, although i tend not to tell many people that :lol:, i hope that 56 of yours is garaged just now, i was through there yesterday and the snow was still pretty bad.

G.
vintagebug
15 years ago

My Better half comes from good old E.K,

Mine too... :lol:

Yep, the car is garaged and unfortunately it will be for a long time yet- it's stripped down & the body is separated from the 'pan, "ripe for restoration" I think the expression is :lol:

Good luck with yours, keep it stock!!

Next time you're through here let me know you're coming & I'll open the garage door for you :d

D.

Dave
1956ultra
15 years ago
Sounds like a plan :wink: