Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
I need a new carpet and want to make sure I get the right colour.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
The answer remains the same as my reply on 4/11/08 :wink:

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=504278&highlight=carpet&page=3 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Doh:roll: , Lava, dark grey.

Thanks Rich, I'll write it down this time:wink:
Where's the best place to get original looking carpet from?
zehbeh
15 years ago
WolfsburgWest has all the correct colors for each year listed.
They also sell carpets in these colors.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/63l456.htm 
Christian
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Brill, thanks Christian:d

They list grey and charcoal, any idea which would be the closest to Lava, or if anyone has a pic of an original Lava carpet, I'd be muchly greatful, and I could stop annoying you all with my questions:wink:
zehbeh
15 years ago

They list grey and charcoal, any idea which would be the closest to Lava...

Rach66 wrote:

"they" means wolfsburg west?
Send them an email and they will tell you.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

"they" means wolfsburg west?
Send them an email and they will tell you.

zehbeh wrote:

mrsherbie
15 years ago
You dont need to buy from USA, especially not at the moment with the sick pound, this is the stuff here, but for your car to look proper you need to use the expensive square weave not the cheap rib ( which was never correct, just a cheap synthetic alternative to the wool) I have only seen the beige so far in person which was great, but not the black yet.

Newton Commercial vw carpet 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Yes, definately go with pukka square weave, it is the best thing since sliced bread!:wink:

For example our 55 had a new (very high quality) square weave carpet fitted in, I think, the early 80s and it id still like new!

However, my 63 has a cheap, crap, carpet that is less than ten years old and it is stiff, colourless, ugly and just generally nasty and showing signs of age!

Also it is grey with red, which was never going to work!:roll: :lol:

Needless to say buy the good stuff, it will last the life of the car! Also I will be changine my carpets soon, I hope!:wink: 😎

See, they are skanky!:lol:  carpet.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
William
zehbeh
15 years ago
Seems like most vw owners have the same problem:
A previous owner who has replaced original parts as carpets and floormats with some cheap crap stuff.

the p.o. of my ar also replaced the original bumpers with the cheap repro ones.
and the hubcaps (already replaced with original ones by me)
and the trim
and and ...
but the body is in great original condition, only repainted some years ago.

I would like to go back to square weave and rubber floor mats, but at the moment I don't want to spend that much money.

Christian
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thanks all!:d

Quite expensive that carpet:shock:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Thanks all!:d

Quite expensive that carpet:shock:

Rach66 wrote:

It is!
Easy to see why the cheap carpet sells so well!

But home carpet is the same, the cord nylon stuff is peanuts compared to wool.

I think we have some odd bits of nos late 60s bits of squareweave carpet but we cant remember where, but will look because I think it is dark grey and also the heater channel strips which is the first part to wear on most cars. Is ALL of your original carpet worn out, the front bulkhead is usually ok. Or is is missing completely?

Personally I dont mind worn carpet, better original than replaced for me, so long as its ok and not 'hanging' or too holey :lol:

By the way, a while back Newton Commercial were offering a superb deal on a complete refit if you would have your car on display for them at the Volksworld Show, car has to be good too obviously, might be worth asking? Or even for Stanford Hall?
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
crazydaze
15 years ago
Ok I will own up to being an utter idiot way back in 95 when I got my car and ditched the old carpets myself. I did however leave the rear seat back upholstered in the original carpet and can take some photos for colour reference if you like Rach. It's a dark Hazel colour with cream/beige webbing if I remember right.

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

Ok I will own up to being an utter idiot way back in 95 when I got my car and ditched the old carpets myself. I did however leave the rear seat back upholstered in the original carpet and can take some photos for colour reference if you like Rach. It's a dark Hazel colour with cream/beige webbing if I remember right.

Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

That would be brilliant, thanks Alex:d
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

It is!
Easy to see why the cheap carpet sells so well!

But home carpet is the same, the cord nylon stuff is peanuts compared to wool.

I think we have some odd bits of nos late 60s bits of squareweave carpet but we cant remember where, but will look because I think it is dark grey and also the heater channel strips which is the first part to wear on most cars. Is ALL of your original carpet worn out, the front bulkhead is usually ok. Or is is missing completely?

Personally I dont mind worn carpet, better original than replaced for me, so long as its ok and not 'hanging' or too holey :lol:

By the way, a while back Newton Commercial were offering a superb deal on a complete refit if you would have your car on display for them at the Volksworld Show, car has to be good too obviously, might be worth asking? Or even for Stanford Hall?

mrsherbie wrote:

All my original carpet was replaced by a previous owner:(
So I am in need of a complete carpet set. Maybe I should ring NC and be cheeky. I am going to Stanford Hall..:wink: :d
Batton
15 years ago
Hi Rach66
I have a similar predicament with my 67 Ruby Red. The previous owner ripped out the carpet and replaced it with black. I would like to go back to the original dark grey colour but I don't know where to source it.
Unless I am missing the point somewhere the expensive square weave from Newton Commercial is only available in oatmeal and black. So you can spend a fortune on getting the correct pattern but in the wrong colour.:?
I'll be watching closely to see how you get on.
Good luck
Batton
zehbeh
15 years ago
It seems, like lots of people here would like to have square weave carpets for their ruby red beetles.
Me too.
I don't know any british shops for beetle parts. What ist the price for such a carpet set in the UK?

The prices I know are:
Käferland Germany: 461,- EUR = 402,- GBP + Shipping
WolfsburgWest USA: 419,- USD = 279,- GBP + Shipping 110,- USD (225,- for 4 sets).

So, from my point of view, WolfsburgWest ist the cheapest way to get a new set of original looking carpets. And they could deliver the right colors. Any better, easier, cheaper way would be appreciated-
But unfortunatley the cheapest isn't really cheap yet.

Christian
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Is one of these correct for a ruby red beetle? :?

66 or 63:wink:

https://www.classicvws.com/carpets.htm 

William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

Hi Rach66
I have a similar predicament with my 67 Ruby Red. The previous owner ripped out the carpet and replaced it with black. I would like to go back to the original dark grey colour but I don't know where to source it.
Unless I am missing the point somewhere the expensive square weave from Newton Commercial is only available in oatmeal and black. So you can spend a fortune on getting the correct pattern but in the wrong colour.:?
I'll be watching closely to see how you get on.
Good luck
Batton

Batton wrote:

I'll do my best, with all the help from the lovely people on here. Thanks everyone 🙂
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Buying replacement carpets for a beetle is quite an expensive business at the moment due to the poor exchange rates and shipping costs from overseas. Over the past 18 months I've bought two sets of square weave carpets and I found on each occasion that the cheapest supplier was Himmelservice in Hamburg.
I bought a set for my Ruby Red 1963 and a set for my Java Green 1965. I ordered the lighter grey in each case, rather than the charcoal, as I felt that was too dark, although perhaps more correct. I've been pleased with both sets and although the delivery time quoted was about 4 weeks, both sets arrived within a week of ordering. Their website is fairly basic and not the easiest to work out how to order from so I emailed and established communication that way.

Himmelservice is certainly cheaper today than both Wolfsburg West and Newton Commercial. At today's exchange rate a set of square weave carpets in Charcoal for a 1966 beetle from Wolfsburg West, including shipping, works out at £382.33. You also have to take into account that you will then receive an additional bill from HM Government for import taxes, which can be quite considerable.

A carpet set from Newton Commercial will cost £536.54. I don't know if there's a delivery charge on top of that or not. The quality of Newton Commercial carpets is probably better than from Himmelservice and their set includes carpets for the central tunnel and for all the footwells. However neither of my cars would have been correct if these areas had been carpeted and when I enquired about only purchasing the carpets that I needed they said it was possible but only offered a reduction of around £30. However if you need all this extra carpet then its probably ok value.

A carpet set from Himmelservice at today's exchange rate, including shipping (which was 15 Euros last year), would be £271.25. In addition to that price the money had to be sent by bank transfer which cost me another £25 but a friend ordered a headling kit at the same time and we split the cost of the shipping and money tranfer fees. I think that last year when I bought the carpet set it cost me about £220, but of course the exchange rate was more favourable then.

I'm sure that both Wolfsburg West and Newton Commercial will supply excellent carpets but for comparison purposes its worth considering those from Himmelservice and for the price I've been happy with the quality.

www.himmelservice.de/english/home.html

I should also mention that if you order a carpet set from an overseas supplier then you need to ensure they know it's for a right hand drive car (if it is of course!) as there's one piece that's different. 😎