zehbeh
15 years ago
Thats great, I'm looking for carpets sets in California, and there is one that supplies good quality in Germany.
I onla knew the name Oppermann for reproduced headliners.
Christian
crazydaze
15 years ago

That would be brilliant, thanks Alex:d

Rach66 wrote:

Taken this afternoon:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As you can see I went with the Newton Commercial Oatmeal carpet whilst I wait to win the lottery for the proper square weave :lol:

Alex.
Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks Alex.

Ah yes, the lotto, would solve so many car problems:d
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I have only ordered split fabric from Himmelservice but I have to agree the product, service and quality was excellent! I didnt even realise they sold carpet until now! sounds like the best deal at the moment. But no harm in 'being cheeky' Rach, Newton can only say No after all?

My old nz ruby red 63 had og beige/grey door panels and seats identical to uk, and beige og squareweave carpet (as pic ^) and I know the beige 65 we have has its og brown, and also our garnet 59, brown, and our old seablue 64 had brown, when you would expect it to have been grey to match the blue better? Being that you could spec order your interior I would think it is perfectly acceptable to assume that there is slight flexibility over carpet colour on a single year?! even on uk cars? which unlike the hugely variable Swedish cloth interiors, seem to me to be a very set all vinyl export colour scheme?

But I have never even owned any UK pre67 though! so Rich Oakley & crazydaze know far better about them!

The £ at the moment, (and vat) has made buying anything from USA not worth doing! but I am sure $-Euro buyers are doing far better.

Ok I will own up to being an utter idiot way back in 95 when I got my car and ditched the old carpets myself. Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

Now you stop bragging, because we have all done that! :beer: :lol:

It seems like every month I read in an UltraVW or Volksworld car feature how the interior has been 'tidied' with a full tmi kit, and I can only imagine all these og interior covers that people will regret stripping off 10+yrs down the line, after they have accrued a few more years knowledge and realised that OG is best! even a bit tatty!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
I had a look on the himmel website, thanks mrsherbie, and the light grey seems close to Alex's pictures. What do you think?
https://www.himmelservice.de/english/home.html 
RoRoVw
15 years ago

I had a look on the himmel website, thanks mrsherbie, and the light grey seems close to Alex's pictures. What do you think?
https://www.himmelservice.de/english/home.html 

Rach66 wrote:

Here's a photo of the Himmelservice Light Grey, square weave carpet in my 1963, Ruby Red. Sorry it's not too clear but I think it will give you the general idea.  m_998 EUM Oct 08 010.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
VW Stan
15 years ago

Here's a photo of the Himmelservice Light Grey, square weave carpet in my 1963, Ruby Red. Sorry it's not too clear but I think it will give you the general idea.

RoRoVw wrote:

Did they supply the RHD rubber firewall mat too?

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
RoRoVw
15 years ago

Did they supply the RHD rubber firewall mat too?

VW Stan wrote:

No, I made that myself. I knew all those years of watching Blue Peter would be useful in the end!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

No, I made that myself. I knew all those years of watching Blue Peter would be useful in the end!

RoRoVw wrote:

Wow! 😎

What did you make it out of? Im thinking of making my own carpet and would like it to look as stock as possible!

William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Great pic!

So do they carpets from Himmel not have any floor sections?
I saw some for sale that only had the sides, and thought it odd. Is that usual, and if so, what are the rubber mats that fit one the floor and where do you get them from?
Sorry for the questions, but I assumed the carpets would completely cover entire floor.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Originally the car would only have had carpet on the heater channels, the front wheel arch areas, front bulkhead above the pedals and in the luggage area behind the rear seat. The tunnel and all four foot well areas would have been covered with moulded rubber covering in two sections - one front and one rear.
After market carpet sets usually supply carpet that covers all the areas originally carpeted and covered by the rubber, which is really incorrect. Himmelservice only supply the original carpet pieces. New rubber sections are virtually unobtainable in right hand drive. You can get left hand drive rubber sections from the States. The back section will fit ok but the front piece is completely wrong for right hand drive.
RoRoVw
15 years ago

Wow! 😎

What did you make it out of? Im thinking of making my own carpet and would like it to look as stock as possible!

54 Gertie wrote:

I made the section that goes on the front bulkhead behind the pedals from ribbed rubber matting that I bought at an autojumble. Lots of old British cars had rubber floor covering made of similar material and so its fairly readily obtainable off the roll. It comes in different widths of ribbing and profile. I just bought an off cut that was large enough for the bit I needed and it was very cheap. If you bought if off the roll you could easily make the ribbed floor mat sections although it wouldn't have the plain border as VW but it would be passable if it wasn't for a show car or period restoration. It still leaves the problem of how to cover the tunnel area.

zehbeh
15 years ago
@ RoRoVw

Are your rubber floor mats grey or black?
The interior looks great, thats how I would like to have it too.
Christian
RoRoVw
15 years ago
The floor mats should be grey but I could only find black. Same old story - a previous owner had fully carpeted the car in black, nylon carpet and had thrown out the original rubber mats! The black rubber mats/tunnel covering actually looks ok and far better than black nylon carpet.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

@ RoRoVw

Are your rubber floor mats grey or black?
The interior looks great, thats how I would like to have it too.
Christian

zehbeh wrote:

Hey Christian - I´m in Stuttgart too.Have I seen your car at any shows around here?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
VW Stan
15 years ago
This just might be of interest.

Newton Commercial do the early front firewall mat with no holes, so good for RHD!

https://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/vw/library.jsp?model=26 

8)

beetle_up_1960_pedal_mat.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

RoRoVw
15 years ago
That's interesting. The mat looks very good but do they sell it as an individual item or is it only as part of a full carpet set?
VW Stan
15 years ago
I'll email them and find out, also colours - black as well as grey?

mrsherbie
15 years ago
The himmelservice carpet looks ok, I am sure they would post a very small square sample if asked? I find German suppliers are very good like that.

I did make both side footwell, and heater channel carpets for one of our splits, but I unpicked all the dirty old original binding and rubber parts, and re-used them on the better og carpet ( because we didnt want it to look new! not being a cheapskate! :lol: which I cut up from a spare old split luggage area carpet that we rescued from a split we knew being completely restored, even though the interior was very good og, but not 'new' looking enough for the new owner! so I did not buy have to buy any new materials.
That was why I asked if all your carpet is worn out Rach? as these are the only 3 bits that usually need replacing, so you could get a trimmer to sew up just these 3 parts to match your old?
But bear in mind that most household sewing machines will not sew through rubber+carpet+binding, my machine is a giant old singer saddlers one that sews 1cm thick leather happily, and will carry on up my arm if I let it bite me! :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
:lol: Sounds like a monster!

No og carpet in it at all:( , it was completely done in black,and cut up the tunnel and moves about.