Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi All,

Finally signed up to this forum, excellent by the way! well after years of not owning an old VW heres my latest , a 59, never welded ,pretty original needs a little TLC, my Brothers owned this car for about 15 years after finding it in Chelmsford, it had been traded in by an old guy for a fiesta! My Brothers got a nice standard Oval and something quite special coming! Anyway Hi and i look forward to posting on this forum, i think a very sympathetic restoration is in order.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Lovely!

Seen this on VZi!:wink:

Hope you keep the colour, Garnet red it one of the best early colours in my opinion!:lol:

Good luck!
William
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi

Yes i put some pics on Vzi as well, i,ve been going between Samba Vzi and Pre67, things have changed since i last owned something aircooled which was a 67 Beetle, i only had Volksworld and old copies of Safer motoring! Having these forums is fantastic!
pre67vw
15 years ago
Welcome! Look forward to seeing the updates as you progress :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Whooaa! Garnet Red- top colour!!

Welcome to the forum.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rach66
15 years ago
Hi:d

Nice colour!
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi

Yes its a nice colour, its past its best and a little flaky in places and faded but not bad for its age, basically i,d like to go through it mechanically and get the floor pan and suspension A1 and waxoiled, the interior a good clean and the body work a real good wax and run it as it is.What would you recommend wax wise to preserve it?

Rich Oakley
15 years ago
What is this new 'special' car that your brother has bought? I am intrigued!

PS: I also have an unrestored RHD '59 Garnet Red Beetle...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thats very nice, looks just like mine apart from the seat colour, i,m going to keep you intrigued on my Brothers new find until he,s got it, interesting story! did you buff that paint work up using a cutting compound?
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Thats very nice, looks just like mine apart from the seat colour, i,m going to keep you intrigued on my Brothers new find until he,s got it, interesting story! did you buff that paint work up using a cutting compound?

Graham wrote:

No. The lower half of the car has actually been resprayed years ago, but the top half is orignal paint. Haven't cleaned or polished it since about 2002. It needs a bit of work here and there.

Keep us posted on your brother's oval.

What's the chassis number (or at least first few numbers) of your Garnet Red car?
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
I,ll take some pics of his standard, very nice car that one, i must get him set up on this forum so he can join in! (John if you are reading this give me a call with 58 chassis number please)
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago

No. The lower half of the car has actually been resprayed years ago, but the top half is orignal paint. Haven't cleaned or polished it since about 2002. It needs a bit of work here and there.

Keep us posted on your brother's oval.

What's the chassis number (or at least first few numbers) of your Garnet Red car?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hi Rich, The chassis Number is 2319662
gary c
15 years ago
That chassis no looks like a march 59 build date
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago

That chassis no looks like a march 59 build date

gary c wrote:

Hi Gary,

You're spot on, my mistake, i hadn't seen the paperwork and my Brother always referred to it as a 58 (it has the earlier features) it was registered on the 8th April 1959.

Thanks

Graham.
andylham
15 years ago

What is this new 'special' car that your brother has bought? I am intrigued!

PS: I also have an unrestored RHD '59 Garnet Red Beetle...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

rich you need to get that car rolling again :d
DBKUK
mrsherbie
15 years ago

did you buff that paint work up using a cutting compound?

Graham wrote:

I did ours just with T cut and then waxed it. Dash's always come up really easily and its such a nice afternoons highly satisfying job polishing up a dash :d

Proof that there are still nice uk cars! :beer:

This is Owens Swedish garnet, very shortly going to a new home so you might see it out and about this year. We still love it but dont find any time to use it.
So it seems between us we have all 3 of the interior trim options available on a garnet car! ours has cloth seats. ( And yes, wrong steering wheel!)
We know another garnet leftie, but is really is a nice and still very uncommon colour and I think our favorite post oval colour of all.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Looks very nice, have you any exterior photos? what cleans vinyl best?
rickycox
15 years ago
welcome, looks like a nice car..... 59's rock 😉
Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration
www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk 
Follow us on Twitter 
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Suns Shining so i thought i'd take a few pics !

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I'd like to clean up the areas where its been over painted and spray and blend the paint to the original patina anyone done this with any success? Seems a shame to paint the whole car, its 99% rot free, the wings are stored safely at the moment and are in the same condition, any thoughts on how it should be kept/restored? Thanks
Boris1966
15 years ago
Hi there and welcome to the pre67vw site.

I love the steering wheel in your car! (and the colour - like everyone else!) GREAT NUMBER PLATE TOO. gOOD LUCK WITH IT.
X lEANE 🙂