Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
In the latest VolksWorld there is a small article on Fram filters and it states they are excellent for single port engines. It's only a short article, but twice refers to single port. Are they not suitable for twin port engines? I am planning an old speed style engine and have myself a Fram filter and twin, twin port carbs. Will I need to re-think?

Dave
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Remote Fram filters are not engine specific. They were made for use on "Internal Combustion Engines" and as long as you use the correct size, (F3P which is for use on engines up to 2.8 litres) you'll have no problems.
John.
Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks, that is what I though, I was just thrown by the VolksWorld reference to single port and not universal single/twin port.

The filter I have is actually F-415A22 and takes cartidge no C-4P2 or C-4. It doesn't seem to mention FP3 anywhere but is about the same sizea s VicPolky's.

Will this be ok? The engine is a 1600.

Is there a source for the cartidges in the UK?

Cheers,

Dave
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Hmmm not sure I like the idea. If it takes a C-4 cartridge it means it was made for use on engines up to 4.5 litres and could end up starving the crankcase through drawing too much oil.

UserPostedImage
John.
Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
As it is a Kabriolet I was planning to add a deep sump to try and increase the amount of oil in circulation and therefore aid cooling. Would having a larger Fram filter such as mine have a similar effect?

Please excuse my ignorance here - I'm on a steep learning curve! If my Fram has a larger capacity and I ensure there is sufficient additional oil in the system to meet that capacity, why might it starve the crankcase?

My Fram is quite grubby from a long shelf life although it is NOS. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it without removing the stickers?

Ta,

Dave
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Oil lines are too small for a late model case .Thats why you cant use them.
Bally
  • Bally
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago

Oil lines are too small for a late model case .Thats why you cant use them.

Sunroof53 wrote:

I've had a change of plan now and am going to be using a 36horse with a Judson Supercharger - will I still be starving the case?

Thanks,

Dave
Sunroof53
15 years ago

I've had a change of plan now and am going to be using a 36horse with a Judson Supercharger - will I still be starving the case?

Thanks,

Dave

Bally wrote:

Those filters are only good for 8mm oil galleries .I am not sure what your 36 case has.i have a very early 36 case which still has 6mm oil pump studs and 8mm galleries .I would not like to say unless i have the case number.Personally i would only use those things as ornaments on an engine and use a modern spin on filter tucked under the back wing.just my opinion though.
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

Thanks,

Dave

Bally wrote:

No. I ran with that set-up for 5 years...no problems.
John.
Sunroof53
15 years ago
If you have one i would base your 36engine on a later(post 73) case with 10mm galleries dual relief ,especially if you drive it hard.You would have to mod the fan housing for the doghouse cooler but it would still look like a 36 from the front .
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

If you have one i would base your 36engine on a later(post 73) case with 10mm galleries dual relief ,especially if you drive it hard.You would have to mod the fan housing for the doghouse cooler but it would still look like a 36 from the front .

Sunroof53 wrote:

A post 73 36hp case??
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
15 years ago

A post 73 36hp case??

JD wrote:

Yes ,if we are talking 36 british horses and not American mules.Late cases have the same bore for for 1200 barrel and pistons.You can still get late 1200 barrels and pistons.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Doh! Ok, I´m with you now,
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
dry&heavy
14 years ago

Personally i would only use those things as ornaments on an engine

Sunroof53 wrote:

been offered a judson and not sure if i wish to run it, but will a 1952 engine still run fine if i add it for some 😎
always wanted one but not sure if i want to risk it