topolino
15 years ago
does anyone know which region of sweden a car would come from bearing this swedish number AFK 287
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
I should think only one person here could answer that.
Anna

Go and ask Owen:wink:
Ratbay
15 years ago
Isn't it possible to find that out online?

Have you tried to google the plate and see if it comes up in an online data base?
topolino
15 years ago
looked for swedish id not much info online, plenty about german plates and many other euro countries , but sweden is hard to get any info on there old reg plates or how many vw,s were imported into sweden.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I dont know that geeky stuff :lol: but O will, I promise I will ask him!!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
topolino
15 years ago
thanks anna,i recon AFK must be the region of sweden,dereck bought the car from owen back in 1999.
topolino
15 years ago
found out about these swedish plates AFK 287 were issued in 1973 in this format three letters and three numbers, in 1973 the old system of one or two letters with up to five numbers which the car would have had, became obsolete being replaced by the new three letters and the numbers the area of registration cannot be found out from this newer system, but if i had had the old pre 73 reg the area of registration could have been found out, it does tell me the car was still on the road in 73 to have recieved the newer style plate.
Hebster52
15 years ago
Yes, that is true that the licenceplates changed to 3 letter and 3 number type in 72-73 in Sweden.

But, you might be able to trace it back even further with the help of a Swedish friend.

From this site you can request -72 and later information, and most likely also find out the pre-72 licenceplate id.

https://www.svar.ra.se/web/webfolder/publicationservice/item.asp?uidObjectGUID={D90CAA55-5B01-4F2E-B595-01E65CDBACDB}&uidItemGUID={C5FF2E4D-4160-4313-B9B9-EFF63C112570} 
The HebsterWerks.
topolino
15 years ago
unfortunatly its all wrote in martian.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Yes, I asked him too and he said exactly as above ^ there is no area pattern as such most of the modern'ish Swedish plates.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
topolino
15 years ago
looks like thats the end of the trail, will just put it down as having come from sweden, its really hard to find any info on how many bugs were exported to ,norway, sweden,finland, there must have been quite a few by the number that have survived.