sarah dell
15 years ago
Hi, up until today both Semaphores were working now pasender one isn't even attempting to lift, I'm not very good with electrics but from what I can see noting is shorted out and the drivers side is working perfectly?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I suppose the simplest thing it could be would be a wire slipped out but it is a bit hard to diagnose without being there! :?

Really helpful I know! :lol:

Try signaling to that side, get out and try to open it with your fingers (dont jam a screwdriver in there)

It may just be being a bit stubborn and a bit of persuasion may get it moving! :wink: This is however not a solution but it may help with further diagnosis!

William
sarah dell
15 years ago
Tried that but doesn't want to budge and didn't want to force it, Could it be just a bulb? or does that just stop it lighting up?
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Do you have a voltmeter?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
sarah dell
15 years ago
No but prob gonna need one so can get one?
54 Gertie
15 years ago
The bulb will not effect is movement

It is worth checking the voltage at the battery and comparing that to the voltage at the semaphore but if the other side works perfectly it is probably down to the semaphore itself!
William
sarah dell
15 years ago

It is worth checking the voltage at the battery and comparing that to the voltage at the semaphore but if the other side works perfectly it is probably down to the semaphore itself!

54 Gertie wrote:

Does that mean I need a new one?
54 Gertie
15 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Sorry, that wasnt very clear!

If the voltage at the semaphore is considerably less than at the battery terminals that would suggest that there is a bad connection between the semaphore switch and semaphore!

Hope thats clearer! :wink:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Does that mean I need a new one?

sarah dell wrote:

Read my previous post! I have refined what i previous said! :lol:
William
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Hand-held Voltmeters can be bought for a few quid. A very wortwhile investment if you're running a 6V VW! This type of thing will do the job...
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-AMPS-AC-DC-OHM-V-A-VOLTMETER-b_W0QQitemZ320357666890QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item320357666890&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
sarah dell
15 years ago
Gonna be really dumb here but how do I do that?
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Gonna be really dumb here but how do I do that?

sarah dell wrote:

What? Buy something from ebay or check the voltage? :lol:

William
sarah dell
15 years ago
Very funny ...:lol:
check the voltage,I am female after all. :d
(not got anyone techical to ask)

Dunno what i would do without the guys on this forum
54 Gertie
15 years ago
1) Apply + lead to + terminal on battery and do the same with the -

2) Note the reading (eg 5.57 volts)

3) Switch on the semaphore and apply the + terminal to the bottom screw connector on the semaphore (when its up) and connect the - terminal to a place on the body to get a good earth! This could go on the metal body of the semaphore.

4) Note down this reading and if it is quite a bit less than the previous reading then try to find where it is losing the voltage!

Hope this helps or has it just made you more confused? :lol:

EDIT:

+ = Positive

- = Negative

:wink:

William
sarah dell
15 years ago
No thats brill will try tomorrow. I am assuming I have to switch semaphore on on the stalk and manually try and lift up with fingers to do this, if stiff and have to force to lift will I wreck the semaphore?

ps thanks really appreciate you taking the time to explain to a plank like me. :d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

No thats brill will try tomorrow. I am assuming I have to switch semaphore on on the stalk and manually try and lift up with fingers to do this, if stiff and have to force to lift will I wreck the semaphore?

sarah dell wrote:

It is not ideal to "force" a semaphore but it will work!

I would however try to stop it from latching back in by tying some string around it. This will stop you having to force it more than once! :wink:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
You have a working semaphore on the other side of the car. Why don't you swap them both over to see if the fault moves too? If it does then you have a faulty semaphore, but my money is on the switch!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab