1956ultra
15 years ago
Hi folks its looking more likely that the bug is gonna have to be sold and i was just wondering with the dreaded credit crunch etc what sort of cash i should be expecting out of my oval and what a good sort of starting price should be?

https://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26/1957oval/ 

Thanks in advance for any info.

Graeme.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
IMHO
The car would fetch more money if the side panels had remained body colour.
Only an opinion.
Just think it would sell to a bigger market.
Is it og rhd and original coral red:?:
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Hi Graeme,

How's things?

I've never seen your car, but it looks like a decent one (Aussie import isn't it)?
I know you've advertised it a couple of times for sale over the last year or so for about £5500 (is that about right)? I assume you've had no offers at that price, but has anybody viewed the car?

All the best,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I agree with above ( but was afraid to post 1st! :lol: )
It IS a very pretty car. I really dont see anything bad at all, looks like it was a very good solid car before the repaint. Typical oz odd old riveted repair. not a big deal, I found only very small holes when I removed the gigantic riveted on plates on my splitbus! It was the recognised proper repair method out there.
Oz had their own names for their own mixed rough versions of the german colours, so I guess your tan is kind of coral ( nice) lovely paperwork!
Rhd too. No, I dont know why it didnt sell before either :? I would certainly want every penny of the 5.5k and not a penny less! if it was mine! I think it is worth holding out for. ( actually I would have put it up for 5995 ono if it was mine! :lol: )
I would'nt worry about the credit crunch, the nice cars are still selling, a few less buyers thats all.

Is your location difficult maybe? I think possibly you just put it up for sale a little 'early' in the year, I would try again if I were you now the sun is out! maybe here and also here car&classic-free ads 
Can you make it to Stanford Hall for exposure? get it in the Historic lineup in front of the house? then it would really stand out! :d

The only thing that jumps out to me is similar to 50karmann, I would remove the whitewalls and sell them on their own, and put some black walls on to tone the wheels down a bit. I think they look stunning like that! BUT most people wont, its an acquired taste.

Have you tried UltraVW magazine classifieds yet? they are FREE to sell a car, but Volksworld still charge £27 for an ad!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
1956ultra
15 years ago

IMHO
The car would fetch more money if the side panels had remained body colour.
Only an opinion.
Just think it would sell to a bigger market.
Is it og rhd and original coral red:?:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hi 50 Karmann, the car is og rhd and the colour is og Manly tan, i would have preferred it to have been left in og state as ive been told by a chap Rich put me in contact with over in Australia that it was an honest car from his memory that didn't need painting, some you win and some not lol.

G.
1956ultra
15 years ago

Hi Graeme,

How's things?

I've never seen your car, but it looks like a decent one (Aussie import isn't it)?
I know you've advertised it a couple of times for sale over the last year or so for about £5500 (is that about right)? I assume you've had no offers at that price, but has anybody viewed the car?

All the best,
Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hi Rich,

Things are good at the moment, how are you? it is an Aussie import and the chap (John) you put me in contact with was very informative, its been advertised a good few times from between 5.5k to 3.5k and to date 1 person has viewed but didn't like the colour, i did recieve some offers from a few people at around the 4k mark but thats when i had it at 5.5k, its a confusing market to me now, im honestly just looking to get out of the scene for a break for a while. I may in the near future go for my bike test and focus myself on something with 2 wheels for a change :?

Regards
Graeme.
1956ultra
15 years ago

I agree with above ( but was afraid to post 1st! :lol: )
It IS a very pretty car. I really dont see anything bad at all, looks like it was a very good solid car before the repaint. Typical oz odd old riveted repair. not a big deal, I found only very small holes when I removed the gigantic riveted on plates on my splitbus! It was the recognised proper repair method out there.
Oz had their own names for their own mixed rough versions of the german colours, so I guess your tan is kind of coral ( nice) lovely paperwork!
Rhd too. No, I dont know why it didnt sell before either :? I would certainly want every penny of the 5.5k and not a penny less! if it was mine! I think it is worth holding out for. ( actually I would have put it up for 5995 ono if it was mine! :lol: )
I would'nt worry about the credit crunch, the nice cars are still selling, a few less buyers thats all.

Is your location difficult maybe? I think possibly you just put it up for sale a little 'early' in the year, I would try again if I were you now the sun is out! maybe here and also here car&classic-free ads 
Can you make it to Stanford Hall for exposure? get it in the Historic lineup in front of the house? then it would really stand out! :d

The only thing that jumps out to me is similar to 50karmann, I would remove the whitewalls and sell them on their own, and put some black walls on to tone the wheels down a bit. I think they look stunning like that! BUT most people wont, its an acquired taste.

Have you tried UltraVW magazine classifieds yet? they are FREE to sell a car, but Volksworld still charge £27 for an ad!

mrsherbie wrote:

well mrsherbie, you have just put my mind at ease about the rivets, i asked the seller when i bought it what it was in that area and he came up with the same conclusion as you that its how things are done over in Aus,the colour is indeed an Aussie take on what i think would be Coral but called Manly tan :lol:, i have a couple of local offers on the table of 3.5k hence thats the reason i asked you folks on here just to confirm my gut feelings that their a tad on the low side, however i'm looking for a slightly quick sale :?.

I will sit down over the weekend and make a couple of new ads for here, vzi and carandclassic,

The tyres have only covered approx 600miles and have the whitewall trims on them so they could be easily taken off (thank god)

I would love to have done Stanford Hall but i just cant manage it :(

Thank you for your input and kind words

Graeme.
1956ultra
15 years ago
Hi, I have put her back up for sale on vzi and was going to do the same on here but i cant remember my password :lol: can 1 of you please let me know how i obtain this?

Thank you in advance

Graeme.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Just pm Rob pre67.

3.5k are WAY to low offers for your oval!

I would still take not a penny under 5k even if you are keen to sell it. But I dont think you will have any problems trying now summer is here anyway :d Good Luck!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
1956ultra
15 years ago
Thanks mrsherbie, i have offered the car up for sale at 5.2k so i guess its a waiting game again 😎
1956ultra
14 years ago
Sold to a fantastic couple who are gonna keep her stock :d , may i take the time to thank everyone who helped by giving me info and direction on here. :d

G.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Sold to a fantastic couple who are gonna keep her stock :d , may i take the time to thank everyone who helped by giving me info and direction on here. :d

G.

1956ultra wrote:

Glad it's gone to a good home. I still think you should have accepted my offer of £1000 Scottish Pounds and a bag of potatoes.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
1956ultra
14 years ago
You never mentioned anything about a bag of spuds (damn) :lol:, i think the guy is gonna take the car to Stanford Hall and send me some pics which will be great to see.
vintagebug
14 years ago

I still think you should have accepted my offer of £1000 Scottish Pounds and a bag of potatoes

1,000 of our glorious Scottish Pounds are worth at least 5,000 of your softie southern monopoly money... :lol: :wink:

I'd be interested in the bag of potatoes though :lol:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
topolino
14 years ago
the nice couple who bought this are now trying to sell it on ebay for £7,500 , they cant have the v5 back yet.
vintagebug
14 years ago

the nice couple who bought this are now trying to sell it on ebay for £7,500 , they cant have the v5 back yet.

Here:-

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1957-VOLKSWAGEN-OVAL-BEETLE-RHD-12-MONTHS-MOT-TAX_W0QQitemZ270382442451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item270382442451&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318 

The seller's description almost brought a tear to my eye...

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
64rotbox
14 years ago
"I have been using her every day to go to work"... All five days, eh? Hardcore!
You can call me Al.
pre67vw
14 years ago

topolino wrote:

Maybe the roofrack they added cost £2.5k? 😶
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
1956ultra
14 years ago
I believe it cost them £2800 😮
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I believe it cost them £2800 😮

1956ultra wrote:

you were trying to sell this on volkszone for about 2 years for 7.5k no offers, how much did it sell for in the end then?