harveypj
  • harveypj
  • Stock "Wolfie" Smith Topic Starter
15 years ago
Been messing about with radios this week.
When I first got my 58 it came complete with the original Philips radio that I believe was either fitted by the supplying dealer or certanly fitted very early on in the cars life.
I think I was a little hasty in taking it out to make way for a Blaupunkt Frankfurt......especialy as just recently I have found out it would be more acuratly called a 'Frankin furt' due to the fact it is actualy a 1970's unit dressed in a 60's suround with late 50's knobs:shock: :oops: (Thanks Rich)

Needless to say I had to remove it straight away.
This got me thinking......what the hell was I thinking of removing the original in the first place.
So I have now refitted the original Philips.
It is a 1958 model: G76V. as advertised in the 1958 RAC members handbook (that I also got with the car).

Alright, not as pretty as a Blaupunkt but I recon its more unusual, I've not seen any others to date plus it keeps the cars history intact:d

Radio 001.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Radio 003.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
That looks as nice as ANY Frankfurt.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
  • harveypj
15 years ago
Cheers Rich, I've also put the under dash speaker back in so it can make noise. I say noise because it certainly is'nt 'drawing room quality' as suggested in the advert
However it does have a great novelty factor...listening to it hum as the valves warm up before any broadcast can be heard:lol:
48REME
15 years ago
I like that little Philips radio, it looks like a toy! So few numbers on the dial! Are you taking your car to Stanford Hall?
69project
15 years ago
pete i know you said the sound quality wasnt great but i really like it,how many others have you seen and you always say originality is best lol!

p.s...pete said to me he is going to stanford hall,although routes he was talking abt taking me down we may be there for abt lunchtime.... :wink:

Car less.....
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Dare I say I prefer that to a Frankfurt? Or any Blaupunkt? :? 😎

Very, very nice! Did it not have this in minus the speaker at Peppercorn?
William
VW Stan
15 years ago
That looks very smart Pete! 😎
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
harveypj
  • harveypj
15 years ago

I like that little Philips radio, it looks like a toy! So few numbers on the dial! Are you taking your car to Stanford Hall?

48REME wrote:

Unless the weather is particularly bad I will be there, providing we don't get lost:lol:
harveypj
  • harveypj
15 years ago

Very, very nice! Did it not have this in minus the speaker at Peppercorn?

54 Gertie wrote:

No Will, the Blaupunkt was fitted at Peppercorn.

Another bit of Philips trivia.
My model was a more budget level radio costing a mere 22 1/2gns. The top of he range model with VHF/FM and presets was a wopping 49gns.
Dad said that in 1958 that was a lot of money, a gn was £1 and a shilling (£1.05p). a skilled worker might expect to earn £20 a week.:shock:
48REME
15 years ago

Unless the weather is particularly bad I will be there, providing we don't get lost:lol:

harveypj wrote:

Well it will be nice to meet you, the car and the radio too!:d
harveypj
  • harveypj
15 years ago
Yeh, looking forward to it:d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

No Will, the Blaupunkt was fitted at Peppercorn.

Another bit of Philips trivia.
My model was a more budget level radio costing a mere 22 1/2gns. The top of he range model with VHF/FM and presets was a wopping 49gns.
Dad said that in 1958 that was a lot of money, a gn was £1 and a shilling (£1.05p). a skilled worker might expect to earn £20 a week.:shock:

harveypj wrote:

:shock:

Have you got the 58 invoice for it? :wink: Look forward to having another good look around this car at Stanford Hall! Saw it a Vworld but those ropes made spying hard! :lol:

William
harveypj
  • harveypj
15 years ago

Have you got the 58 invoice for it?

54 Gertie wrote:

Its all detailed in the advert in my RAC book.8)