SixtyFive
14 years ago
i would be selling it as a totally stock car. (but slightly lowered!) because i have no idea what its worth.

it has just had a quick paint job, all new 'genuine' :roll: seals all round
genuine steel front wings 1300 twinport engine, it would be mot'ed and on the road

around the 2.5k/3k mark?? ive seen worse cars go for more, but again i want a quick sale... because i want a pre 64 car.

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
14 years ago
If I were you I would put it back together to sell it now you have got this far and spent money painting it! Throw a week at getting it up to mot level then it will sell! Go on, I know you know that its the best way :wink: or find a friend to do it for you and agree to give them a share of the sale.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
SixtyFive
14 years ago
yep! if and when i sell it, it'll be back together in one piece

54 Gertie
14 years ago
Tom...are you seriously gonna sell this? Again! :roll: :wink:

Okay the paint job is a bit of a joke but it is still a cool looking bug and if you make it stock (as I keep bugging him to do) then it will be one great car!

Dont make the same mistake twice as im sure you'll regret it!

But yes small window bugs are great! :beer: :lol:
William
SixtyFive
14 years ago
yep :lol: , i can't really afford another paint job, well i can, but i'd rather it would go on a better car...

pre 64 are the way to go 😉
GKL 7
14 years ago

OK the paint job is a bit of a joke

54 Gertie wrote:

but i'd rather it would go on a better car

You two would make a great pair of salesmen.:wink:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

You two would make a great pair of salesmen.:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol:

I vote he gets down to see the bloke who painted in with an axe in hand and suggests that he do a better job the second time! :wink:
William
SixtyFive
14 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm just tired of owning a car i'm not totally happy with! :oops:

a swedish car is defiantly the way to go. cheaper, than what it would cost to do the 65...and original from the start...
a few of my friends own swedish imported cars, and they give me a semi (not that i'm a mechaphile, or anything! :lol: )

but theres a lovely gulf blue 61 in the classifieds i'm trying to raise enough money for... 😛
54 Gertie
14 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm just tired of owning a car i'm not totally happy with! :oops:

a swedish car is defiantly the way to go. cheaper, than what it would cost to do the 65...and original from the start...
a few of my friends own swedish imported cars, and they give me a semi (not that i'm a mechaphile, or anything! :lol: )

but theres a lovely gulf blue 61 in the classifieds i'm trying to raise enough money for... 😛

SixtyFive wrote:

Yes it is lovely! Better get charming Anna! (Mrsherbie) :wink:

As much as I love my UK cars it do feel that im wrong when I see an original spare wheel well like that! :? :lol:
William
SixtyFive
14 years ago
its weird though, how many 'uk' cars are shagged, and swedish cars are generally untouched, bar a few tiny bits of welding, didn't we care about our cars back then? :lol:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

its weird though, how many 'uk' cars are shagged, and swedish cars are generally untouched, bar a few tiny bits of welding, didn't we care about our cars back then? :lol:

SixtyFive wrote:

The best explanation ive heard is that although there climate is not brilliant, their economy was not the best a while back and when you bought a car, you wanted it to last! :wink:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
I heard it was the lack of humidity in the Swedish climate.
Cold but dry air.
Anna put us right.
SixtyFive
14 years ago
anna, i have sent you a pm on here.

cheers,tom.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Can you not just compound and mop your paint to get it smooth? I am still amazed by the job that Larry Fandango did on his zwitter! :shock: its a different car!

My 55's front valance is full of holes! ( a 55 thing though apparently as there was no lower inspection cover in 55 ) and I wish it was as good as the 61's valance too!! Both cars still need small holes in both rear corners doing and the 61 the bottoms of the wings are ok but tatty in places, and there is an ugly plate welded in the floorpan on one side where the owner must have driven over a mountain or something! :lol: In fact we have another pale grey 60( I think) that is actually even slightly better :wink: but I have not got round to even washing it yet, and a glacier og 58 that is superb that will have to be prized from my fingers(O can try :lol:)
My point being that there is always 'another' car, not necessarily Swedish! Just when you think you miss something good, something else always comes along :d Anyway, I am sure that if you get your car together its worth the same money anyway! There is not such a huge gap between small and larger window cars as there used to be, some really nice post 64's have made far better money than rough ovals!

But I agree, once you have decided you want to move on to something else, it usually is a sign that you really do! Owen always tells me that however much you like and feel attached to a car, once it is sold and gone you never miss it because you have something new to replace it that is usually better!

O says it is cold and snowy but so cold it is dry not damp. All I know is that my oval came from one of the most northerly villages in Sweden well up in the arctic circle where it is often -40 :shock: brrrr! I'm just glad I didnt have to bring it home! :lol:
54 Gertie
14 years ago
The guy painted the car, then bought more paint and did the doors so it is a completely different colours! :lol:
William
SixtyFive
14 years ago
mrsherbie
14 years ago
But thats fixable! just get some more paint yourself exactly matched to another panel on the car by a professional helpful paint shop (rather than just ordered to code) and then get anyone to repaint them if you dont have the facilities yourself. You have done SO much to get defeated now by a little paint! :d You are almost on the home run, the fun part of being able to put it back together!
I know it becomes a downer when a car drags on and does'nt go to plan, but try not to let it get you down! You have got a superb beetle right now and you have done far more than most of us had by your age!!*! :shock: :d :beer:
SixtyFive
14 years ago
yeah, i'll give that a go! although the paint shops near me are pretty crap!
when my car was panama beige, i had my panels painted, and the colour looked like green baby sick!
so when to a different place, and even they can't get it right....
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Yeah, dont give up just yet! ;)

Anna, I thought I was a bad seller, you've just talked him out of buying your lovely Swede! :wink: :lol: :beer:

William
mrsherbie
14 years ago
You either need a painter that you trust to take care getting their paint supplier to tint to match from the code, or go to a trade shop and buy a litre yourself and leave them the ashtray or something and beg them to get it exact for you! works for me, but I have gender advantage maybe as I think I am the only woman who ever goes there to get paint matched :lol: We had some panama mixed last year and the match is perfect but the new wing is now shinier than the rest of the car :lol: typical!