mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi everybody,
Does anybody have any ideas where I can get European breakdown cover for the trip to Hessisch in my '55 oval? Minor breakdowns won't be a problem but a seized engine or something as bad will be very expensive without some form of cover. The RAC seem a bit reluctant to bother with cars over five years old never mind 54! Are there any companies anybody can recommend that deal with covering classic cars? I thought my insurer AON included some sort of cover but it just relates to the actual vehicle insurance.
Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
I have always used the AA.
Had a break down on the way to Hessich,8 years ago, and they brought the car home.They have an agreement with ADAC their German equilevant.
Caledfryn
14 years ago

I have always used the AA.
Had a break down on the way to Hessich,8 years ago, and they brought the car home.They have an agreement with ADAC their German equilevant.

'50 Karmann wrote:

What policy was that on George?

The AA refused to cover me (inspite of my membership) when I took the T25 Westy to France last year and that's only 20 years old!
VW Stan
14 years ago

What policy was that on George?

The AA refused to cover me (inspite of my membership) when I took the T25 Westy to France last year and that's only 20 years old!

Caledfryn wrote:

All I can find in the T&Cs on the AA website is that you have to pay an additional premium if the vehicle is over 6 years old!
:roll:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
GKL 7
14 years ago
With being an AA member i gave them a call,and received full european 5 star cover for free as long as my trip was no more than 5 days.
I have Roadside-Relay-Homestart on my membership which is quite an expensive membership so may-be this helped.
Chris was with me,they gave us a rental car both in Europe and the UK while they bought the other car home.
I think if i stay an AA member all my life i will have got my monies worth on that one trip alone.
I claimed when we got home and even had my hotel bill reinbursed.
But not too sure,when did the AA become U.S owned?It may be all very different now.
Chris
14 years ago
I remember it well !!!

However, we weren't in a 50 year old beetle when this happened, we were in a (whispers) Vauxhall AstaVan. The head cracked on the AutoBahn, stuck in a layby with me on the phone to my girlfriend back home, then she had to call the AA in this country to give them the information.

All aded to the adventure of my first Hessich Oldendorf.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
harveypj
14 years ago
I insure with Footman James.
Their classic car policy covers me and the mrs...fully comp, unlimited milage, agreed value and also includes European break down cover. I don't even think I have to tell them I'm going.
All for £100 a year. Not bad me thinks:d
Stock......the new custom
GKL 7
14 years ago

Vauxhall AstaVan.

Chris wrote:

Yes,but i got the same free cover on my Black '52 going to Bad Camberg.

And Chris you need to let me know a definate Y or N by Friday or i'll be making alternative arrangements.Pussyfooting about[-x
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi all,
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've managed to get my '55 oval covered for European trips. Apparently AON (who I'm insured with) have now joined up with Footman James and all new policies taken out with them have UK and European breakdown cover included as part of the policy benefits. I renewed my policy in March before the merger so I've had to pay a small premium of £31 which is well worth the price. The friendly woman on the end of the phone said they need to know if you're taking your car abroad because the car's insurance doesn't automatically cover it for use outside the UK. I don't know if this is just the policy of AON/Footman James but it might be worth reading your own policy details or giving them a ring just to make sure.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
mrmagyar
14 years ago
By the way, the cover is provided by the RAC.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
pre67vw
14 years ago

Yes,but i got the same free cover on my Black '52 going to Bad Camberg.

'50 Karmann wrote:

But did it only cover you as far as BBT? :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

But did it only cover you as far as BBT? :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

My Black '52 Sunroof,you Muppet.

(Our beloved website leader cannot see the difference between a cabrio and a sunroof,and he can not recognise the difference between a '50 and a '52)

We stand no chance really,do we:roll:
klaus53
14 years ago
Just got my 53' squared away with Footman James for £100.20 - fully comp, unlimited mileage and European cover. Result!
:d

1961 Type 1/11
Etzhold1
14 years ago

My Black '52 Sunroof,you Muppet.

(Our beloved website leader cannot see the difference between a cabrio and a sunroof,and he can not recognise the difference between a '50 and a '52)

We stand no chance really,do we:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:d :d :d George At least your Cabrio made it out of the Country !
Other people had to go back home to pick up a NEW BEETLE otherwise they would not have seen the Belgian border !:lol: :lol:

:twisted: Guido:twisted:
pre67vw
14 years ago

:d :d :d George At least your Cabrio made it out of the Country !
Other people had to go back home to pick up a NEW BEETLE otherwise they would not have seen the Belgian border !:lol: :lol:

:twisted: Guido:twisted:

Etzhold1 wrote:

true... :lol: :lol: I never even made it out of my county, let alone country :roll: :lol: :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW