54 Gertie
14 years ago

Thanks – I do like the placed on digits, nice classic 3D look :wink:

Standard split wrote:

I like those as well but I think you'll find that you will get plastic numbers on a plastic back. This can look a bit odd on a well aged old classic!

I have these on my 63 and I am planning on buying the metal plate for the pressed variety, without the number spressed in and putting my raised lettering on that! :lol:

Sounds odd but it should work! :lol: :?
William
Standard split
14 years ago
One thing that looks really bad – it's a post 1972 car with black plates, it's illegal anyway so the owners must swap them with yellow plates for the MOT test :?

Interesting to note that the tax exempt last year and the black number plate last year is the same – 1972.

Can't believe this government has planned it that way :twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
54 Gertie
14 years ago

One thing that looks really bad – it's a post 1972 car with black plates, it's illegal anyway so the owners must swap them with yellow plates for the MOT test :?

Standard split wrote:

I personally prefer the yellow backed, but still riased letter number plates on 70s (post 72 ish) cars. They are more modern in style anyway so there is no pon=int pretending that it is a more "vintage" vehicle.

However im sure that most MOT centre will just see it as an "old" car and not worry about the changes in number plates! :wink:

Can the police cameras (not speed cameras the type that searches for insureence etc in the car) red the early pressed number plates? I would imagine it would have problems figuring out what it says as they would have been programmed to read the modern style plates? :?

Oh well! Dont intend on driving illegally anyway! :lol:
William
Standard split
14 years ago

However im sure that most MOT centre will just see it as an "old" car and not worry about the changes in number plates! :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

See an 02 new mini with black plates recently – for sure an MOT plate swap :wink:

The new century style registrations look really wrong on a vintage plate 😶

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
14 years ago

See an 02 new mini with black plates recently – for sure an MOT plate swap :wink:

The new century style registrations look really wrong on a vintage plate 😶

Standard split wrote:

Oh yes when it is very clearly a modern car (albeit a retro impersonation) then im sure an MOT inspector would spot it but when it is the difference between an early and a late bay window camper, I think not! :wink:
William
Standard split
14 years ago

Oh yes when it is very clearly a modern car (albeit a retro impersonation) then im sure an MOT inspector would spot it but when it is the difference between an early and a late bay window camper, I think not! :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

I think it depends on the MOT station. If they think you're taking the P, maybe a fail will result.

If a retest fee is possible they may fail for the extra revenue. A 1974 Beetle may not look too odd with the black plates, but they are entitled to refuse a pass certificate as it's still illegal :roll:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

it's still illegal :roll:

Standard split wrote:

Im not saying it isnt but im saying that on "older" vehicles that should not have them some MOT testers may not notice/care!

And im not making a case for thosw ho do run them illegally becasue it is, after all, illegal! :wink: Im just saying that they probably get away with it at MOTs.
William
Standard split
14 years ago
Its neat though that only tax exempt vehicles can display the black plates legally 😎

48REME
14 years ago
It's also great that in this country there is such a variety of plate styles available for vintage cars. In Germany, I've seen a few freshly-restored splits and ovals with old style German plates like the ones on these period photo cars. I asked everywhere, even on the German forum where one could get these made but nobody ever bothered replying.  bad-steben-kaefer-cabrios-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
14 years ago
Obviously available somewhere, as displayed on this 52 Standard photographed last year...!  db34_27.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago
You certainly find some interesting pictures Nicolas :wink:

Imagine being in Germany in 1953 😛

If I'm not mistaken, this blue '52 Standard was advertised recently for sale, but it had a post '57 engine cover :?

48REME
14 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, this blue '52 Standard was advertised recently for sale, but it had a post '57 engine cover :?

Standard split wrote:

Right you are, John, it's that very one. I do like these old style German plates.:wink:
GKL 7
14 years ago

My 1949 split has stood for best part of 23 years – the cable brakes work fine

Standard split wrote:

How did you find that out, you never drive it:lol:
John,you're very good at hi-jacking your own threads:wink:

I like the look of the German blue Standard,but it would cost too much to get right.
48REME
14 years ago

I like the look of the German blue Standard,but it would cost too much to get right.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hi George! It was quite nice but the engine cover was post-57 and the interior was all re-upholstered with some weird grey stuff that tried
to look Standard but looked more like it came from DFS. Also, it was well over 15000 if I remember.:lol:
48REME
14 years ago
...15000 euros that is. Like the Voodoo Chile avatar:wink: Do you know, I used to live round the corner from where he died!
GKL 7
14 years ago
I was also thinking of the wings Nic,they didn't even weld the horn grill holes up.But it's a pretty car none the less.

One cool pic,better viewed large.  rockroll_026_jimi_hendrix.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

How did you find that out, you never drive it:lol:
John,you're very good at hi-jacking your own threads:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I had to move the '49 a few years ago to get my newly acquired big 1937 Tatra 87 into the stable. I did this at 2 in the morning away from prying eyes as I live on an otherwise busy road in London. The '49 had to be started up an taken outside after all those years undisturbed, and I couldn't resist a quick run along the road as no-one was around. Everything worked – the brakes too 😎

Yes this thread somehow got onto number plates, which is interesting although a different topic :?

Even Voodoo Chile has got mixed up in it :shock:

GKL 7
14 years ago

I couldn't resist a quick run along the road as no-one was around. Everything worked – the brakes too 😎

Standard split wrote:

I bet there are people who live two minutes from you John, that just haven't got a clue.
My consolation will always be that i've seen it.Probably the most original '49 in the world.
48REME
14 years ago
With Jimi strongly present in this thread.... a period photo of a bunch of Californian hippies arriving at Woodstock in 1969 in their squareback...:wink:  bobbi5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

I bet there are people who live two minutes from you John, that just haven't got a clue.
My consolation will always be that i've seen it.Probably the most original '49 in the world.

'50 Karmann wrote:

It's my favourite car ever – and it has a Deluxe body on its (Standard) chassis. Hope you don't think I'm being smug 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎

Mind you, the Tatra 87s going some too :wink: