johnshenry
14 years ago
Hello all.

I am looking for details on the routing of the dome light wire on split verts. I have an early wiring reference book "Der Berater" that shows the dome light wires branching out of the main harness somewhere between the sem wire branch exit (under the back seats) and the taillight wire (near the fuse box in the engine bay), but it does not show where along that segment. It also shows a black ground wire in that dome light branch coming back into the main harness, and exiting with the taillight wires and it has a ring term on it.

A pic of some original wiring in that corner of the engine bay would be splendid....!

However, I have an original '51 vert harness (well ,most of it) and I can see no place where anything branches out of the main between the sem wire exit and the taillight wire exits. In this one, the power feed to dome light (gray/green wire) comes all the way to the taillight wire exit point.... and I have no black ground wire. But this harness was cut in two in the engine bay areas and I may not have all of it.

Lastly, someone posted a pic in another forum of what was assumed to be original wiring, and a "2-by" screw term splice was used just near the fuse box and the dome light harness was a separate harness was a separate harness from the main.

Can anyone shed some (dome) light on this?? :wink:

Thanks

JH
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagevw
14 years ago
This is of my 52 zwitter vert....  Afbeelding 1589.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Afbeelding 1590.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
johnshenry
14 years ago
Thank you for the picture! Where does the wire branch that is connected to the bottom of the splice go? Does it go back into the main harness?? What is the third wire connected to that splice for? It appears to go back up with the main harness?

Also, are you missing the engine bay fuse box? Or did zwitters not have them???
vintagevw
14 years ago
Do you mean the left or right one who is going to the bottom?
I still have one wire left who haves unknown function....
I will take some pictures tomorrow, too late and too dark now! :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
John,

I think the wiring in my Aug 52 cabrio is original in this area, I will take some pics this evening.

Cheers
Kev
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
John,

Pics as promised ...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The two wires to the light are a separate piece of harness going into the splice block, I haven't tested the wires but it looks like from the splice block the live feed comes from the the main branch and the ground goes into a separate piece of harness fed into the engine bay through the same hole as the main harness, I have no idea where its attached to the body without hunting a bit more.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Kev