BO JANGLES
14 years ago
Can anyone tell me, are ribbed & flat semaphores the same size ?
Also can any tell me what size the aperture is ?
What I need to do, is try to uncover the original aperture that was welded over, sometime in the past & then try to find some ribbed semaphores, but thought I could fit flat ones temporarily, if I can't find ribbed ones.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Can anyone tell me, are ribbed & flat semaphores the same size ?
Also can any tell me what size the aperture is ?
What I need to do, is try to uncover the original aperture that was welded over, sometime in the past & then try to find some ribbed semaphores, but thought I could fit flat ones temporarily, if I can't find ribbed ones.

BO JANGLES wrote:

Yes, they are the same size. Aperture..19mm x 178mm.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BO JANGLES
14 years ago
Cheers Rich,
I think my July '53 Oval should have ribbed semaphores, but can you tell me what the difference is between "SWF", & "SHO" semaphores ?
1962bug
14 years ago
Bob

you should be out cruising with the rag open on a day like today not surfing the internet[-x

Jamie
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Cheers Rich,
I think my July '53 Oval should have ribbed semaphores, but can you tell me what the difference is between "SWF", & "SHO" semaphores ?

BO JANGLES wrote:

SWF and SHO were two OEM manufacturers contracted to supply Volkswagen with semaphores. They're pretty similar and either is correct. The 'grooved' SHO ones have rivets that hold the outer arms onto the inner mechanism, the 'ribbed' SWF ones have screws instead. The SHO ones have a 'rib' at either side of the semaphore arm, the SWF ones don't.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BO JANGLES
14 years ago

SWF and SHO were two OEM manufacturers contracted to supply Volkswagen with semaphores. They're pretty similar and either is correct. The 'grooved' SHO ones have rivets that hold the outer arms onto the inner mechanism, the 'ribbed' SWF ones have screws instead. The SHO ones have a 'rib' at either side of the semaphore arm, the SWF ones don't.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thankyou for your knowledge, Rich.
BO JANGLES
14 years ago

Bob

you should be out cruising with the rag open on a day like today not surfing the internet[-x

Jamie

1962bug wrote:

By the time you wrote this Jamie, I was..... & aren't you supposed to be in Newcastle?:wink:
1962bug
14 years ago
:d

By the time you wrote this Jamie, I was..... & aren't you supposed to be in Newcastle?:wink:

BO JANGLES wrote:

Had to work till 5, got up here about midnight!!
UserPostedImage