Hebster52
14 years ago
The wife bought this 66 1300 last week.

Unfortunately the passenger seat had some minor wear and I dont seem to be able to find the correct type of replacement upholstery for it?

Anyone got any clues?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It has been sitting unregistered since 1979 and the previous owner decided to reregister it again this spring before selling it. :d
The HebsterWerks.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
They look like the same seats as my cabrio, I had mine re-upholstered to the nearest match I could find - but since then I think TMI have started doing covers.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago
As im sure you know that is a 66 one year only interior. Guessing your cabrio is a late 65 Rob?

I dont know if there is anyone producing the correct salt and pepper fabric for those seats. I guess it is the small hole in the passenger seat by the handbrake that is the problem?

Your best bet might be to find a used seat and get someone to unstitch the base and stitch it into your seat base. :wink:

Very nice car BTW, looks beautiful! 😎 Oh, and you also need to find a passenger armrest. :wink:
William
pre67vw
14 years ago

As im sure you know that is a 66 one year only interior. Guessing your cabrio is a late 65 Rob?

I dont know if there is anyone producing the correct salt and pepper fabric for those seats. I guess it is the small hole in the passenger seat by the handbrake that is the problem?

Your best bet might be to find a used seat and get someone to unstitch the base and stitch it into your seat base. :wink:

Very nice car BTW, looks beautiful! 😎 Oh, and you also need to find a passenger armrest. :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

It's a link-pin, so not overly late?

Before:
UserPostedImage

After:
UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

It's a link-pin, so not overly late?

pre67vw wrote:

I know someone with a 65 built Ball joint beam 66 model with that interior, perhaps they fitted it to some 65 models? :?

Suppose being a cabrio it may be different? I dont know much about cabrios but would one from the 60s have the same holes in the back of the front backrests like on an oval era car?
William
pre67vw
14 years ago

Suppose being a cabrio it may be different? I dont know much about cabrios but would one from the 60s have the same holes in the back of the front backrests like on an oval era car?

54 Gertie wrote:

Nope, not on mine. The originals of mine had a vinyl back seat that was salt and pepper to match the cloth fronts, which I thought was an odd thing to do. But getting vinyl salt and pepper was not an option, so they're all cloth now front and back (a bit of a shame, but they still look nice)

I dont seem to be able to find the correct type of replacement upholstery for it?

Hebster52 wrote:

Ask Karmann Konnection, I'm sure Jules told me that the cloth was now available...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
tofufi
14 years ago
Does the body have a central demister vent below the front screen?

Hebster52
14 years ago
Yes, ours does. It has the balljoint front axle too.
The HebsterWerks.
tofufi
14 years ago

Yes, ours does. It has the balljoint front axle too.

Hebster52 wrote:

Ah yes, I was getting confused with the other car mentioned above which has a linkpin front axle - and is therefore a '65 model, and shouldn't have the demister vent 🙂
Hebster52
14 years ago
Recieved the vintage original style licenceplates today. Looks way much better IMO with the original plates. The reg-numbers are also the originals for this car now. It is possible to request the original registry numbers to vintage cars in Finland if they have not been used to an other car since it was unregistered.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The HebsterWerks.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Nice pics, very nice car! :d

I would insert a piece of fabric in the hole and just darn it up rather than change the cover as I dont think you will never find that material in better condition than that! :shock: and your interior looks lovely.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Hebster52
14 years ago
Thanks.

Yes. I would personally also just patch the seat (if I could find a piece of the same fabric...) but I'm not sure that it is approved by the Vintage inspections I have planned to do on this one. The Finnish Vintage car inspections are very nitpicking of any faults or even scratches etc...

"The cars must be as good as new and just like they left the factory."

Which in my point of view is sort of wrong as there are a lot of nice looking nonrestored old cars that IMO would be a shame to have to restore before they would pass the Vintage inspections...[-x
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Mounted my old roofrack. Not sure I will keep it on as it does take a lot of wind and makes much noice driving against the wind...

UserPostedImage
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Quick resumé on what's been going on since summer.

In August the rear brakelines broke on it so I had to leave it unused as I had no time to work on it due to working on an other project at the time..

In the begining of January I finally had the time to pull it inside. Just had to dig it out of the snow first...

UserPostedImage

Also had bought an other pair of 66 wheels that I'm about to weld on some 5.5 inch wide arches on.

UserPostedImage

Didn't want to destroy the original wheelsets that came with the car.
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
When I got it inside I first started ot with straightening out the lefthand front fender as it had a severe bend from the turnlight down to the wheel arch.

Probably hit something in its previous life.

UserPostedImage

The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Next step was to drop the engine as it had been smoking blue all summer.

UserPostedImage

While I checked the original F-case engine it turned out having 1,6mm axialplay... Decided that I will not be driving with that engine this summer....

UserPostedImage
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Instead I pulled everything I needed off that engine to use on my spare engine which acctually was based on a type-3 enginecase.

Original engine partly stripped.
UserPostedImage

The spare engine partly assembled.
UserPostedImage

Desided to use a doghouse type fanshroud as the type-3 enginecase didn't have any oilpressure sender mounting hole in the case. With the doghouse shroud I could use the type-3 oilcooler and mount the pressure sender on the cooler instead.

I also made me a tool so I could easily replace the jolting upper hingepin.
UserPostedImage

The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Added a 20mm spacer under both carbs and now also welded the necks for the aircleaners so they clear from the fanshroud and still fit inside the enginebay.

Just have to make the linkage now and then testrun it.

UserPostedImage
The HebsterWerks.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Here's the finished fuellines loosely fitted. Still need to tighten the joints and make a few supports to avoid the worst vibations.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
The HebsterWerks.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Thats a really neat looking carb set up. Are they 1500S manifolds, or did you make them?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage