Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
14 years ago
You can ask but you'll get the same answer as last time

(Unless you've found another one to add to the list?) :shock:

British Standards... 

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
What have you found now??? 😮
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

You can ask but you'll get the same answer as last time

(Unless you've found another one to add to the list?) :shock:

British Standards... 

VW Stan wrote:

I never actually saw that thread before! :lol:

And yes, i've found another... :wink:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

What have you found now??? 😮

Rich Oakley wrote:

been offered a pair of 56 or 57s ... info is vague...

Been off the road about 20 / 30 years only one has ever been welded, both RHD and both sensibly priced... one is a standard and one is a Deluxe...

Waiting to view them any time soon!

I'll let you all know what I actually find... :beer:

But it is true... owning an oval leads to owning more... I was only buying a NOS early heat exchanger! :lol:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Damn - you´ve got it bad Julian!
Good luck with the purchase!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
VW Stan
14 years ago

But it is true... owning an oval leads to owning more... I was only buying a NOS early heat exchanger! :lol:

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Jammy Bugger!!

I should have let you drive around in the Heb and you might have found a few more of those too!!!! :shock: :beer:

55Kab
14 years ago

been offered a pair of 56 or 57s

Been off the road about 20 / 30 years only one has ever been welded, both RHD and both sensibly priced... one is a standard and one is a Deluxe...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

:shock:

I hope you're going to buy both...and pics please. :wink:

Prof Oakley, where are you??? "one has never been welded" is your nose broken? :lol:
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I was only buying a NOS early heat exchanger! :lol:

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Was that the one for sale for £60 at Deva Dubs last weekend?!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago

Jammy Bugger!!

I should have let you drive around in the Heb and you might have found a few more of those too!!!! :shock: :beer:

VW Stan wrote:

I'd have been happy to have a drive... let alone find one! :lol:

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Anyway, the update on these 2 cars...

Erm... not sure...

I think My friend is buying the Deluxe... its not un welded, but its a bloody good and dry for a RHD UK car... not sure its exact age... he is talking about doing a bit of bodywork (- there are no holes, but he wants it perfect, so will re-do the welding that has been done before... re-paint and get it together ASAP...

The Standard... well the owner has maybe decided to keep it... so I'll let you know if anything comes of this.. the owner is a really nice chap and is wealthy and has a lovely collection of cars so is in no rush to sell... but i think he has realised he will never finish all of them!

But there was another Oval, a really tatty one.. which caught my eye (I like em rough!), and i have asked to buy... its another 53-55 ish RHD oval... this one is again quite "special" and looks like it probably has a great story to tell...

All info is a bit vague as it was all done in such a rush... so who knows what will come of it all...

oh, and there was a Californian import '67 ... very solid with a horible paint job... dont know if that will be for sale too?
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
Well the story continues...

My friend has bought the Blue Deluxe... and will be collecting in a few weeks...

I'm still on this tatty "ex racer" ... has Porche brakes and is aparantly 1954 and is RHD.... I'm told it is number 49 of all RHD imports?

Dont know if that is the sort of thing that can be checked up on? how would I know?

Anyway it had a 356 engine that has now gone... a late gearbox and is in need of HUGE repair... I'm now waiting for a call from the owner, I hope he will let me save it?
www.vwoval.co.uk
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

and is in need of HUGE repair...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Thats never seemed put you off before.
If not, did anyone buy that RHD 67 standard sunroof?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
14 years ago

I'm still on this tatty "ex racer" ... has Porche brakes and is aparantly 1954 and is RHD.... I'm told it is number 49 of all RHD imports?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

The books say that VW Motors sold 900-odd Beetles in the UK in 1953, so not sure how a '54 would equate to number 49??

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
agreed... (but then it may be a '53)

but can anyone really tell what "number" theirs was?
www.vwoval.co.uk
VW Stan
14 years ago

agreed... (but then it may be a '53)

but can anyone really tell what "number" theirs was?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

How many beetles can you fit on a boat?
I guess it would all depend on what order they were unloaded in!

:wink:

JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
exactly.... I'm just intreagued how someone can make a claim, all these years later that it was number 49...

I know things like marathons were numbered...

but cant see where the claim came from?
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
I actually spoke to the owner today... spent an hour on the phone trying to find out more..

His dad bought new from Scotts of St James's ... in march 1954 ... he was told by the garage it was number 49 ... but 49 of what he isnt so sure of now..

He got it in 1966 from his dad and used it till the early / mid 70's ... it had 356 A brakes and a super 75 engine..

He wants more for it than I can afford.. so we are in discussions.. but he is out of the country till christmas! :roll:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
14 years ago
When I go to collect my friends car, I will take another proper look at this one..

I'm told it has a camber compensator, a 1961 gearbox, a light on the roof, and speedwell guages..

It seems interesting, he says he built it as a fast road car ... in 1966! :lol:
www.vwoval.co.uk
55Kab
14 years ago

His dad bought new from Scotts of St James's ... in march 1954 ... he was told by the garage it was number 49 ... but 49 of what he isnt so sure of now..

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

How about the 49th Beetle that dealer had sold?

When I go to collect my friends car, I will take another proper look at this one..

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Love to see pics of both please? Is the other one a UK RHD car?