Chris
14 years ago
I'm sure this subject has been covered before, or at least talk of a display at shows. I'm in agreement with most on here that it works very well as it is. How many people on here actually own road worthy cars ? I would hazzard a guess at 50%, (including myself). So while there may be a couple of hundred registered users, I doubt you would get the turn out you would hope for. Also, I don't think there are enough pre67 Stockers about to sustain two club displays. (The Historic club being the other).

I like the idea of meeting up for a few beers a couple of times a year with friends at various shows.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

How many people on here actually own road worthy cars ? I would hazzard a guess at 50%,

Chris wrote:

??:shock: So few?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Chris
14 years ago
It would be worth actually finding out :d

Maybe we could start one of those polls they use on other sites ? Something else for Rob to work on eh ? (as well as our T-shirts :wink: )
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Chris
14 years ago
The only other forums I frequent (that i'd admit to 😳 ) are cycling forums. One in particular has a 'Forum Ride' once a month. This is just done via the site, one member will suggest a location, time and date, and we all just turn up with our mountain bikes and ride. If the date isn't suitable to all then that's just tough. Admitedly, we're all located in North Wales, which makes things a lot easier.

But if anyone's after a meeting, why not an informal one, organised through the forum, a set location, (preferably a pub), a drink, something to eat and a drive. Not too hard to organise except for the location. Maybe even have a Northern meet and one for the Southern Softees :wink:

Now to get my fat, lazy arse into gear and open that garage door :shock:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

The only other forums I frequent (that i'd admit to 😳 ) are cycling forums. One in particular has a 'Forum Ride' once a month. This is just done via the site, one member will suggest a location, time and date, and we all just turn up with our mountain bikes and ride. If the date isn't suitable to all then that's just tough. Admitedly, we're all located in North Wales, which makes things a lot easier.

But if anyone's after a meeting, why not an informal one, organised through the forum, a set location, (preferably a pub), a drink, something to eat and a drive. Not too hard to organise except for the location. Maybe even have a Northern meet and one for the Southern Softees :wink:

Now to get my fat, lazy arse into gear and open that garage door :shock:

Chris wrote:

I really like this idea, but the problem is that people are just too spread out. People probably wouldn't bother to travel great distances for such a small get together. However, tie it in with a show that people are going to anyway and I reckon it's a different story.

Trouble is that there's just not enough good shows left to go to...!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

It would be worth actually finding out :d

Maybe we could start one of those polls they use on other sites ? Something else for Rob to work on eh ? (as well as our T-shirts :wink: )

Chris wrote:

This one's easier than T-shirts :wink:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=28967#28967 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
14 years ago

Trouble is that there's just not enough good shows left to go to...!

pre67vw wrote:

This is so true...After the magic of Hessisch Oldendorf, I feel like it's such an abrupt anti-climax. What else is there to look forward? An often wet and muddy donkey farmyard in Kent tagged as THE British vintage show of the year? (sorry, my own views, not necessarily a statement!) Maybe Lavenham should be more frequent than every four years, at least in the beginning, as it gathers pace and the word spreads. It could also represent the beacon of this site?
VW Stan
14 years ago
How about regional pre67vw chapters?
Just put people in the same region in touch with each other and they could meet up at a local classic car show for example.

I did suggest a meeting on here a while ago but didn't get much response...

Beds, Bucks, Herts, Cambs, N London-Sunday Lunch 29th April? 

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

How about regional pre67vw chapters?
Just put people in the same region in touch with each other and they could meet up at a local classic car show for example.

I did suggest a meeting on here a while ago but didn't get much response...

Beds, Bucks, Herts, Cambs, N London-Sunday Lunch 29th April? 

:d

VW Stan wrote:

That was 2 years ago...

What about getting together for this? https://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/cms/events-beetledrive , looks like a great place for a pre '67 lineup? (assuming it's on again this year - the page says 2008!)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RoRoVw
14 years ago

That was 2 years ago...

What about getting together for this? https://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/cms/events-beetledrive , looks like a great place for a pre '67 lineup? (assuming it's on again this year - the page says 2008!)

pre67vw wrote:

Yes it's certainly on again this year. Sunday 6th September. The Historic Club has been now for several years and it's a very interesting venue with the National Tram Collection to view. Trams are running up and down all day and the VWs either park up on the cobbled street or on grassy areas around the site. It's all set in an old quarry with a couple of miles of tram track and period buildings saved from their original sites. Clubs or individuals need to book in advance and the driver and passenger gets in for free.

Beetle Drive 2008  m_Crich 2008 011.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
Hmm, I'm not that good at parallel parking... :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
If the average Pre67VW participant is anything like me when they turn up at a show they have a foot in several camps.

My VW associations (small"a") are Hampshire VW Owner's Club, Judson Register, Sambanista and Pre67VW but the only one I pay a subscription to is the Hampshire Club.

I don't think calling Pre67 a club is going to make any difference to the regulars here. It's a loosely based self-help group who make online friendships and meet and talk at shows as and when.

Leave it as it is, that way you don't have to make a difficult choice at shows on which club you're going to snub by not parking in their display.:lol:
John.
mrsherbie
14 years ago

An often wet and muddy donkey farmyard in Kent tagged as THE British vintage show of the year?

48REME wrote:

:lol: Thats so true unfortunately :lol: And how many stock beetles were there this year? as I didnt go ( despite the fact I do love the Murray/Caton' s)

There is always a feeling of dispondency after H.O. because no other show can match it for organisation and quality, it really is simply the best.
Although for myself I am starting to realise I prefer small shows/meets. Getting out of BBT/convoy for Camberg was too much for me last time and not at all enjoyable.

I always think that Tram museum looks great but its to far from the South Coast for us lot! ( Although we are passing it the previous weekend for the Kab Int Meet)

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

I always think that Tram museum looks great but its to far from the South Coast for us lot! ( Although we are passing it the previous weekend for the Kab Int Meet)

mrsherbie wrote:

so it's not too far?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
If it's north of Oxford I'm not sure our cars are insured for that kind of risk...hostile locals etc..
John.
mrsherbie
14 years ago

so it's not too far?

pre67vw wrote:

Yes, ok, reading it again I agree it just sounds like a feeble excuse :lol: But this August Harrogate will be the most far north I have been in the uk for almost 30yrs! so it might well be another 30yrs time until I go that far north again and then I might be getting a bit old for the trip :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

will be the most far north I have been in the uk

mrsherbie wrote:

I can assure you, you won't go all dizzy and faint.:roll:
Oh!but keep your mouth shut,one sound of a softee southern accent and whoa!! trouble.
In Yorkshire,they bite.Dead or alive.
dubrockers
14 years ago

Yes it's certainly on again this year. Sunday 6th September

RoRoVw wrote:

how long would you say it will take from bromley to get there ?
GKL 7
14 years ago

how long would you say it will take from bromley to get there ?

dubrockers wrote:

According to the RAC it's about 164 miles.
So in a Beetle approx 4 hours.
vintagebug
14 years ago

one sound of a softee southern accent and whoa!! trouble.

Hey George, to my ears you've got a softee southern accent too! :lol: Anyone south of Carlisle is a softee southerner... aren't they??! :wink: :lol:

Btw Anna, you don't know how lucky you are, having several VW shows within easy driving distance! For me to go to Peppercorn would've involved around a 900 mile trip... :shock: I know I'm dedicated but... :lol:

Ok, moan over, I'll crawl back into my cold, damp cave now... :beer:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"