55Kab
14 years ago

Skanky Pod

mrsherbie wrote:

Now that's another one from you I like...keep 'em coming :beer:

As such I think after 20yrs of shows I am fully entitled to have a view about the degradation of some uk shows I have been to many times in the past myself

mrsherbie wrote:

Caught you! See I knew you were a neon surfshorts wearing Bog Jam girl in a previous life!!! :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

When I went to shows like Bug Jam (many years ago), there were always scruffy lowered Beetles around

64rotbox wrote:

You're quite right, the difference being they were parked in the car park as a daily driver or work in progress and were not in the show and shine.

Incidentally I believe the Rat-Look thing comes from the Hot Rod scene.

BTW Anna, you'll love this one which (sorry for mentioning those 3 letters again all) I couldn't help myself post on Vzi. Clearly this is aimed at Bog Jam and modified scene but I think applies many UK events.

"Originally Posted by Damon
Patina has its place, some of my favourite cars and buses are unrestored, but, shitboxes that people leave to rot and pile shit ontop of don't belong in a show & shine. And if you think they do, you shouldn't be running the show and shine.

Look at the VW Classic, or EBI , or DKP cruise night for how a decent car display should be put on, not your local Macky-Ds"

My reply:

"I normally just read the contentious thread's but I gotta say here Damon you're bang on the money! I really laughed reading that. Your comments were so close to my way of thinking I thought gees, there IS someone that thinks like me!

I've said on here before and I'll say again...as far as I'm concerned a rat look car is for people who can't afford to build a car properly. You may think its cool on the 10 or 15 odd days a year you visit a VW show and the odd night you go to a club night but for the rest of the year the rest of the world thinks look at that...what a cock!

Someone else posted "I think that VW Classic and the DKP cruise are probably not fair comparisons". Don't see why? They are both 2 of the West Coast's most prestigous VW events and supposedly Bug Jam is one of ours. The majority of people in the states are continuously trying to raise the standard, the majority of people in the UK is seems are trying to lower the standard...."

pre67vw
14 years ago
If you don't like Bug Jam then the simple answer is don't go. I don't really think that much has changed over the years apart from we're getting older. It's a huge show with some VW content - but it's not all about the VW's, there's drinking, music, bbq's, pikeys, fun fare etc etc.

I went to the first Bug Jam's and at the time I thought that they were amazing. I agree that the show n shine was a showcase for newly built cars in the early days, but it hasn't been for many many years - people prefer to unveil at the Volksworld show these days. Santa Poo's not a great venue for show cars, especially if the weather is damp.

I'd like to see the return of some of the 'old skool' shows that these 'new wave' events have killed off. The engine swap competition at Action was great to watch, plus the other driving challenges were fun to see.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
 tool.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
14 years ago

Incidentally I believe the Rat-Look thing comes from the Hot Rod scene.

55Kab wrote:

Rat-look is a bit of an odd thing, there's a club in the US called the Choppers of Burbank who build some awesome hot rods. People have labelled their cars as rat-look but they don't like the term. They see their cars as 'traditional' rods and I've said before I think they have a close similarity to the vintage VW scene. They much prefer original but tatty to new repro and build their cars with only period correct parts.

The VW scene was largely responsible for corrupting this rat-look thing with fake patina.

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
14 years ago

I'd like to see the return of some of the 'old skool' shows that these 'new wave' events have killed off. The engine swap competition at Action was great to watch, plus the other driving challenges were fun to see.

pre67vw wrote:

With you there Rob. In the period 86-90ish my 3 favorite shows were Detling (don't know why it was always bloody freezing) Stonor and then the highlight of the year Action at Stoneleigh. The HVWOC put on a good showing in the Beetle push one year! :lol:

However, as bad as Vzi can be, there are some "normal" enthusiasts on there. I was heartened to see someone post this:

"Just wondering though if there would ever be a market for a 'Retro Jam' type of show, like it used to be in the early days.

Turn up on Sat am, pitch tent, watch racing, look at cars, visit trade stands, have BBQ / few beers, go to bed.

Wake up Sunday, watch racing, great show n shine in the afternoon full of quality cars, go home.

Real family affair with nothing on offer for those that wish to get mashed out of their heads and rave all night.

I admit it wouldn't appeal to many, but it's a show I'd certainly go to. Wonder if there would be enough demand?"

GKL 7
14 years ago

I admit it wouldn't appeal to many

55Kab wrote:

I think the guy you quoted 55Kab would be amazed.Once the word went 'round thousands would turn out.
All those people who have been put off for years, by the antics we have all witnessed.
The 80/90's did a lot to further our hobby,it also did a lot to ruin it.
But here's the old fart in me coming out again....Isn't that the world in general.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
I have a lot of thoughts on this and could rant for ages,but this is how i see it at the momment .Bug jam always seem to represented the custom scene and more importantly the youth of the scene. If you were into music racing,women and VWs this was and seems to still be the case.Even in the 80s i never like the rave scene but there was always something of interest.If you were new to the scene it was always the show to go to for inspiration, and looking at the current scene portrayed by many magazines it probably still is .What is different about the scene today is that there are many more apects to the scene .You could narrow it down to Cal look stock and Custom /Hotrod in the eighties,but now you have each of those plus the recent Rat look, the now masive bus scene and each has grown in its own right .
Vw action did represent a balance of everything because the whole scene was not as big as it was today and there wer'nt that many shows to go to.Now we are spoilt with Vintage shows ,Bus shows ,Drag racing and cal look shows which is why i think certain shows have become labelled as they are.Now you can choose a show that best suits your interest where as 15-20 years ago i would go to make the effort to for Bugfreeze ,Stanford ,Action and Stoner because there wasnt much else.
The good thing is that there is something for everyone and for a lot of people Bug jam is where it started .Its all to easy to forget what its like to be young free and single and i for one have grown from there to the diehard enthusiast i am today.:d

UserPostedImage
Andy Sparks
14 years ago

NB. Then someone started the 'rust and prime' thing around 1991.

64rotbox wrote:

That was paul campbell (dark blue Zwitter) and scott spencer (Baby blue oval called Bucket)

Remember one year, one of the cars was silly low, and someone gaffer taped cotton braided fuel line to the underside of the floor pan. The pod was un made roads then, we sort of advised the driver that they were a bit on the dangerous side.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes you are completely right sunroof53, thats exactly how it is, and not so bad today really, we do have tons of choice of shows by comparison. Although I bet there were far less thefts back in the 70's at shows because things were just different and better then and people had more respect in society in general as a kickover from the war/50's than today.

So Miss VW 1971 owned a vw that was only 5 years old. Thats like an '04 new beetle at one of our vw shows today :? :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

Although I bet there were far less thefts back in the 70's at shows because things were just different and better then and people had more respect in society in general as a kickover from the war/50's than today.

mrsherbie wrote:

Don't be so sure Anna,i used to go to Stoneleigh every year for Action(early eighties),there were some right horror stories.
Thefts from cars
People drivng cars over tents in the middle of the night
Car wheel nuts being loosened
They even ripped up the minature railway lines

Things were certainly not as bad,but it wasn't all sweetness and light.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Heres the other page of the 1971 clubman show.I think 50 Karmann is right ,this page clearly shows evidence of some nut looseners stealing an engine from a car in broad daylight :wink:

Note the top prize for the concours is £1 :shock:

UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

Heres the other page of the 1971 clubman show

Sunroof53 wrote:

EPV 587, another nice old UK Oval that'll be long gone.

mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes, maybe I was just wearing my misty glasses again :d

I had forgotten about the engine pulls :shock: can you imagine having the engine pulled out and in your old car in a race against the clock by a bunch of people for nothing more than fun nowadays! Makes me shudder! I like to take my time carefully removing each old bolt with a cup of tea between each one :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

That was paul campbell (dark blue Zwitter) and scott spencer (Baby blue oval called Bucket)

Remember one year, one of the cars was silly low, and someone gaffer taped cotton braided fuel line to the underside of the floor pan. The pod was un made roads then, we sort of advised the driver that they were a bit on the dangerous side.

Andy Sparks wrote:

You don´t remember "Old Mouldy" red oxide primered and lowered rust bucket from Detling around `87 ish?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

You don´t remember "Old Mouldy" red oxide primered and lowered rust bucket from Detling around `87 ish?

JD wrote:

Yep...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At the time I thought (and still do) it was a rusty old Bug that was soon going to meet its maker - now people think it's cool...and those same people think rat look is a new thing! :lol: :lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Note the top prize for the concours is £1 :shock:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Tight arsses,that was almost an insult even back then.
Don't remember them only charging a £ to get in:x

I've still got my action dash plaques from the eighties somewhere:oops:
Talking about remembering old show attending cars,does anyone recollect "Nutrocker",the roof chopped oval window baja thing.
The guy was so proud of his work:lol: if someone has a picture,you'll see what i mean.
55Kab
14 years ago

does anyone recollect "Nutrocker",the roof chopped oval window baja thing

'50 Karmann wrote:

Was it metallic gold? If so I've a photo somewhere.

GKL 7
14 years ago
No it was matt black(nutrocker in 6 inch letters down each side),this thing was ROUGH.
I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed on the road now,even the mot was more lenient those days.
I couldn't describe it,this guy had done everything to it(badly)it was a kitchen sink job.
But in another way it was great.:lol:
Sunroof53
14 years ago

does anyone recollect "Nutrocker",the roof chopped oval window baja thing.
The guy was so proud of his work:lol: if someone has a picture,you'll see what i mean.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I see what you mean :lol: . Last post for two weeks from me.

UserPostedImage