Bruce Braun
18 years ago
I talked to the owner of Heb #6 tonight. He recently received his "birth certificate" from Stiftung. Amazingly, the car was built in June 1948 and delivered in May 1949. The car was not delivered to anyone. Must have been one of the late prototypes just prior to production.

His car is for sale for US$100,000 or highest offer. Located near Dallas, Texas USA.

Bruce Braun
www.hebmuller.com
Heb #717 (1951 and one of the last)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Hebster52
18 years ago
Hello Bruce. Do you know if the Birthcertificate indicates the sedan modelcar? (According to VIN number or the Hebmüllers bodynumber?) I could imagine that the birthcertificate required from Volkswagen might refer to the sedanmodel car used to build the Hebmüller? The three first prototypeds were atleast built from three 1946 sedans...

I did belive that Volkswagen never did keep any records about the coachbuilts? Maybe I'm wrong here?

The story about the nr. 6 car is pretty colourfull isn't it? :wink:
The HebsterWerks.
pre67vw
18 years ago
I'm sure the birth certificate is for the original car, the Hebmüller Aufbau plate clearly states 26th July 1949. So it looks to me like VW delivered the sedan to Hebmüller in May 1949 and it took them up to 2 months to complete the conversion.

I don’t think its a prototype - it's a very early production model - the 2nd oldest surviving Heb.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
merz356
18 years ago
Anyone have a Idea what a 'Correct' side mirror would be?

as I need one! :lol:
six-o-one
18 years ago
I believe that mirrors were a dealer fitted accessory and Most hebs have the Hagus pear-shaped mirrors (as on mine and Heb #005 pictured here)

There was a round mirror fitted as well.

UserPostedImage

I could do with a right hand mirror if anyone has a good condition one they would like to sell.

😃
merz356
18 years ago
Yeah, thats what i have been told,mine is very similar But I think they were supposed to be a bit more curved..? Different base?

Mark
brille52
18 years ago
Hi Mark !

You should ask the BIG MAN from Vahrn, South Tyrol - I think, he also has an answer to your question ! :wink:
Anyway - I have the same as shown in the picture of six-o-one, if that can help you....

Hope, everything is going well and as I see, you are just very busy to turn your super Heb out to a megalactic - super - Heb !!

Good luck and can`t wait to make another trip like we did this summer,
obviously with THREE Heb`s then !!!!

Ciao !
Andreas 😎
merz356
18 years ago
Hey Man!
Yes I asked the Big man already....
When is he back from Vacation ? the next few days?

Mark
brille52
18 years ago

.......got mail from him today :

he`s back !

Good luck !

Andreas 😎
Bruce Braun
18 years ago
Here is a copy of the Stiftung Certificate. The dates are interesting. Why such a large amount of time between production and delivery?

Bruce
Bruce Braun
18 years ago
I am not able to post the pdf file of the certificate. Sorry.

Bruce
pre67vw
18 years ago
Images only I'm afraid, so that I can control disk space a little easier.

The Hebmüller Aufbau plate states 26th July 1949, so I'm sure thats when it was finished regardless of the Stiftung Certificate. Don said that the rear decklid was made up from about 7 pieces so there's no doubt that this was made differently than the later production models.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bruce Braun
18 years ago
I have seen several Hebs with deck lids fabricated from several pieces of steel.
pre67vw
18 years ago
How many pieces are the later decklids made from? Don said his was made from 7 I think. I thought the later ones are mostly one piece with a small section added around the licence plate light?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
zelensis61
18 years ago
Here is my view about the parts that are used to make a Heb decklid:
You need these parts to make a new hebmuller decklid: :roll:

1 : the outer skin: one piece pressed metal sheet like in the old picts from hebmuller huge mechanical presse. I do not know how many times they need to change the press forms to make this part readdy to use it.
2: left reënforcement part to bolt on the deck lid to the car
3: Right reënforcement part to bolt on the deck lid to the car
4: reënforcement bar that goes between the 2 parts (°2 and °3)above
5: inside reënforcement part in the lower end of the deck lid like in a regular beetle.
6: the piece of sheet metal that is welded in where the "scoop" ends and where the brake light is mounted. Originaly you always see the gas welded seam from the inside .
7: the little metal strip to hold the brake light wire
:?: or the mounting part to hold the brake light( not sure this is welded or bolted) .

If you got another view on this issue I whould love to hear it.
A picture from the decklid made out of several welded parts is also welcome.......... 😃

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
pre67vw
18 years ago
There are photo's of the Hebmüller factory which clearly show stacks of pressed decklids, Don said his wasn't made like that - you could see the weld marks on the underside. He promissed he would send me photo's of this but sadly he died before he could do so. I've gone back through my emails and he said it was made up from 11 pieces.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW