Standard split
14 years ago

I agree. If you're making an ultra-purist thread then it should stop at the end of banana bumpers and big logo hubcaps. Anything with grooved bumpers, (even late 49s still with triangular plate pressing and oval rear view mirror amongst other remaining early details) heralds the start of an era which went on up to 1952.

48REME wrote:

No, I think it has to be when the rear window ribs changed in early '48. That is the first early detail to go and so heralds the start of change, otherwise at what point can you start. Many would argue (as Rob might) that its when the triangular plate pressing disappeared. Big logo hubcaps and banana bumpers do not go right back, the nipple hubcaps were used up to 1948.

Of course the other real change, often forgotten, is when the floor pans became dipped for the rear passenger's feet and the battery.

The best point may be October '52 when the car was modernised to suit the new post-war world, with among other things the loss of the KdF dash.
But we have a pre '53 section now:!:

So lets forget the idea:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
The idea of this thread is not to find the Beetle in it's 'purist' form but simply to have a cut off point where stuff becomes seriously rare. At this years Hessisch Oldendorf there were loads of split beetles lined up, but only a handful were pre '49...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
14 years ago

The idea of this thread is not to find the Beetle in it's 'purist' form but simply to have a cut off point where stuff becomes seriously rare. At this years Hessisch Oldendorf there were loads of split beetles lined up, but only a handful were pre '49...

pre67vw wrote:

That's why the end of the banana bumper era is a good cut-off point. It's a clear visible change unlike subtle details like floorpan pressings and ribs under windows.:d
lou cypher
14 years ago

You can post anything you like

pre67vw wrote:

gmund-45-interior.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
14 years ago

No, I think it has to be when the rear window ribs changed in early '48. That is the first early detail to go and so heralds the start of change, otherwise at what point can you start. Many would argue (as Rob might) that its when the triangular plate pressing disappeared. Big logo hubcaps and banana bumpers do not go right back, the nipple hubcaps were used up to 1948.

Of course the other real change, often forgotten, is when the floor pans became dipped for the rear passenger's feet and the battery.

The best point may be October '52 when the car was modernised to suit the new post-war world, with among other things the loss of the KdF dash.
But we have a pre '53 section now:!:

Standard split wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ANORAK:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

schwimmwagen2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

I tried to Clarify / Enlarge your avatar; but to no avail!

kdf38 wrote:

I've got the large high resolution image – the detail is great, lovely curves. The girl's bum is very nice too (it's a white thong in there) :twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
14 years ago

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ANORAK:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

That's why the end of the banana bumper era is a good cut-off point. It's a clear visible change unlike subtle details like floorpan pressings and ribs under windows.:d

48REME wrote:

Subtle details:evil: I don't call the whole different bloody floorplan very subtle[-x

This proposed forum would be for the people who love these points – the hardcore enthusiast, or the Anoraks as '50 Karmann says:lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago

This proposed forum would be for the people who love these points – the hardcore enthusiast, or the Anoraks as '50 Karmann says:lol:

Standard split wrote:

Then post something constructive John instead of bickering about what should be here and what should not.
Go into the garage and run some pictures off for us.You've been about for as long as i can remember,you must have someting to show us.  rsz_1schwimmwagen_wp.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

Then post something constructive John instead of bickering about what should be here and what should not.
Go into the garage and run some pictures off for us.You've been about for as long as i can remember,you must have someting to show us.

'50 Karmann wrote:

The pressure to post an image of my jewell increases – '50 Karmann is relentless in his efforts:roll:

GKL 7
14 years ago

The pressure to post an image of my jewell increases – '50 Karmann is relentless in his efforts:roll:

Standard split wrote:

You've got more than one Jewel show your '47.
(i'm getting a sneaking feeling you can't fathom out how to post pics:lol: )
Standard split
14 years ago

You've got more than one Jewel show your '47.
(i'm getting a sneaking feeling you can't fathom out how to post pics:lol: )

'50 Karmann wrote:

Okay George – you win here's my '49:d

Standard split
14 years ago
Sh*t you're right – I don't know how to post pics:oops:

GKL 7
14 years ago
I DO :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You've been warned:lol:  SchwimmwagenOnTheGo.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

I DO :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You've been warned:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hold fire – I'll take some computer lessons at the local college when they start in September :wink:

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Just to clarify, this is a pre 49 thread - ie, this is it... I'm not adding a new section to the forum for this. :beer:

So post your car before I do :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

Just to clarify, this is a pre 49 thread - ie, this is it... I'm not adding a new section to the forum for this. :beer:

So post your car before I do :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

I guess my '49 will have to appear with the 'moderns' someday:x
:lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago
Johns going to tell us this is tooooo shiney.  291501.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Johns going to tell us this is tooooo shiney.

'50 Karmann wrote:

It is...!  British.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

Johns going to tell us this is tooooo shiney.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Christ – that's tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shiny:x

Standard split
14 years ago
A scene in my garage after a Lottery win.

All being paid to replace the shiny paint with semi-matt:twisted:

Note the 'subtle detail' of the rear widow extra ribs – smashing8)

British.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.