geedub
  • geedub
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi this is my first post here so be gentle with me .I have a car I am trying to sell but am confused as to its aprox value .As well as this I am unsure of some other details.The colour I cant find here on this site and seems to be rare, the rear bumper ? and no semaphores it was built between Dec 1969 and Aug 1960 it has its original 1200 engine .
Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks Graham
https://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/2bgeedub/1960%20bug/ 
 th__MG_3901.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  th__MG_3909.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  th__MG_3906.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  th__MG_3944.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  th__MG_3921.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  th__MG_3914.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Graham,

Nice to speak to you the other day. Colour is L363 Arctic, 1960 model.
From what you said, the car must have been special order RHD in Germany when new. It would have also been ordered with towel-rail US spec bumpers. From 1959, owners in continental Europe could spec their cars with flashing indicators instead of semaphores- this is what you have here. The car has had a front-ender at some point. The bonnet, wings, front valance and headlamps are incorrect.
As I said on the phone, value is whatever people will pay for it. You have it advertised on VZi at £2500 with no takers. I offered less but you declined my offer so I guess a happy medium would be a price somewhere in-between :d

Good luck with the sale.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Hello,
A big factor is its level of 'rotfree'ness', mostly heater channels & inner wing condition, I never hold my breath on british cars and like to be surprised IF they turn out to be good as its not the norm.
VZI is not an accurate measure of the market, there are far too many people on there who want something for nothing.

The car has some great factors,

1. the original numberplate ( v nice)
2. the colour IS rare and unusual, and very desirable for me as it is a rarely seen colour. BBT4VW had an og paint one in the collection, maybe still do but I cant think of any others that spring to mind.
3. RHD
4. age

Its obviously had a wing and some paint but I still think even with no mot its a 2.7-3k car but if you give it a nice clean and polish and get it MOT'd I would put it up for £3.3-3.5k if you are in no mad rush to sell it, or 3k if you want to see it gone quicker.

I disagree 2.5k is too cheap, unless its hiding rusty channels, inner wings and floors or any major rust that will prevent it from getting an mot.

We just sold an og paint but less unusual colour slightly later car LHD for 3.5k that needed only a touch of welding in the rear corners but had no mot.

For free you could list it for sale on this site, and or car&classic 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
geedub
  • geedub
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
:d Thanks ever so much fellas for your replys and helpfull comments.The car has now gone to a new owner for 3 k at the weekend.I am glad to tell you that the guy who took it will be restoring it to completely stock, this is just what I wanted and what the cars desrves.

All the best Graham :d
geedub
  • geedub
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
whoops I have just realized your user name mrsherbie :oops: and I said thanks fellasin my reply :oops:how refreshing to have a female VW expert

Thanks AGAIN Graham
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Good result for both the buyer and yourself. The colour, and og plate would have made it the sort of car I would have bought to keep for myself too, so it will be great to see it in the future, especially if it stays stock! :d
VW Stan
14 years ago

:d Thanks ever so much fellas for your replys and helpfull comments.The car has now gone to a new owner for 3 k at the weekend.I am glad to tell you that the guy who took it will be restoring it to completely stock, this is just what I wanted and what the cars desrves.

All the best Graham :d

geedub wrote:

Graham, any chance you can you point the new owner in the direction of pre67vw.co.uk (if they aren't already registered) so they can keep us updated on the restoration?

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
RoRoVw
14 years ago
From reading the thread in 'the other place' it seems that the car has been bought by a well known restorer in the north west so I've no doubt it will re-appear in fantastic condition and at a 'trade'price. At least it will remain stock and will be restored to it's former glory. All his restorations are to a high standard.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I just deduced the same Rorovw! :d

The car is going to be restored to perfection in his hands! How exciting :d :beer: and what a great turn-up for the car :d
VW Stan
14 years ago
I read the same just after I posted the above.
I'm sure he'll do a great job!
8)

mrsherbie
14 years ago

whoops I have just realized your user name mrsherbie :oops: and I said thanks fellasin my reply :oops:how refreshing to have a female VW expert

geedub wrote:

I'm not remotely an expert, more forum busybody :lol:
VW Stan
14 years ago

I'm not remotely an expert, more forum busybody :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Time to change your signature! :wink:

Any news on the wheel?

mrsherbie
14 years ago
pm'd

Blimey! I figured it out from Restowagen for sale and wanteds, as not many people would bother looking for og wingbeading :beer: But I just read about the car on Volksywhine&moan :shock:

The colour IS mega rare, ( show me another uk Arctic ? before you say it is'nt 😳 ) My O sold BBT their Swede. The plate is great and the whole saga just proves how thick that site and most of its users can be.
I LOVE the way the people on there who realised instantly its specialness like the guy who rushed round and paid the deposit but then would'nt up it only slightly/put their money where their mouth is instantly disclaim the cars rarity when they dont get the car 😳 Hey, you snooze you lose!
And sometimes magazine editors should know when to keep their arrogant opinions to themselves given all the heavily welded up 'restored' with all repro parts junkers they put on the covers and features :roll: but the fact he rushed out to see it does tell you something :lol:

Rich's comments and some of the others were fair, an average colour un-mot'd but solid repainted 60 bug that needs only a little tidying has a going rate of 2.5k, but he like ourselves do not really need another 60 bug to want it enough. But this car is certainly worth the extra to anyone who really wants a slightly unusual beetle from the mainstream ruby/pearl/gulf/black etc it is well worth its money as I am sure we both agree.
And the fact it sold within a day or 2 proves it.

A tip, if you REALLY want a car, go there with ALL the money, buy it on the spot and take it away. We take (and stand by) deposits but in general they are worthless for private one off sellers. and you always risk losing the car if someone else comes along and offers more.

Anyway, I am glad. The car found by far the best home going regardless :d

Ivan
14 years ago

pm'd

I LOVE the way the people on there who realised instantly its specialness like the guy who rushed round and paid the deposit but then would'nt up it only slightly/put their money where their mouth is instantly disclaim the cars rarity when they dont get the car 😳 Hey, you snooze you lose!
And sometimes magazine editors should know when to keep their arrogant opinions to themselves given all the heavily welded up 'restored' with all repro parts junkers they put on the covers and features :roll: but the fact he rushed out to see it does tell you something :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

What is it with you Anna?
Where does the finger pointing stem from?
YOU!

The only reason I happened to be viewing that car is James Peene is currently looking for a Beetle.

He lives about 12 miles from me and to save him some money and to do our little bit to help the environment (or so we kid ourselves) I give him a lift into the office every day - so when I saw an advert for this car (James was off that day) I forwarded the link to James as I thought it might fit the bill.
He liked the look of the car and arranged to see it that evening - weirdly - rather than some kind of conspiracy theory - the only reason he went that evening was that the car was about 3 miles from our office.

I WAS ONLY THERE BECAUSE JAMES WAS GOING TO SEE THE CAR I AND I HAD TO TAKE HIM HOME!

I was simply doing a colleague a favour.

Anyway, James had £2500 to spend. The car 'was' £2500.

On inspection; the bonnet, front wings, passenger door, decklid, front valance, spare wheel well, rear inner wings above the torsion bars points all needed replacement or welding. The carpets and headliner were hammered. The front bump stops had disintergrated. The engine was 'unknown'as was the rest of the running gear.

It needed a lot of work.

James offered £2500 for it - Graham said he wanted more. As forum 'experts' have gone into advisory-mode

I told Graham, I saw it at £2500 (But not of my money as I wasn't interested - I hadn't gone there as a prospective buyer). I told him if it was mine and someone offered me £3000 I'd rip there arm off!

That was my opinion on a car I'd seen up close.

YOU kindly put down prices for the car and that was your opinion. the difference? You'd never seen yourself.
And I am out of order?
Well sorry - but to suggest I have an arrogant opinion, or that this car was the find of the century, or that the cars we feature on the cover of the magazine have any bearing on this thread is absolute codswallop.

You should feel ashamed of yourself, you're putting down the hard work of people who have very enthusiastic about their hobby - the hobby you suggest you share.

I am sure that the world would be a brilliant place if no one had to fit a single repro part on their car. And I will be very amused if you eat your own words and fit a repro part to your own car.

Equally, let's see if Steve - who bought this car over the phone after a 25 minute conversation/description from me ever fits a repro part to it - I hope he doesn't otherwise he'll have fallen out with you in the process!

You might want to ask Steve if the advice I gave him on the car was honest and if he's got any problem with me - or in the same breath whether the seller Graham has? I do not think you will find either have.

Equally - bear this in mind - this 1960 will have welding, it will need a lot of parts and the paint it grim.

The colour is unusual - but not unheard of. We've had one on the cover of VolksWorld - and guess what? It hadn't been welded!

It's ended up with the right person - as he'll restore it. Graham sniffed it out and was always going to use it simply to raise a profit - he was honest about that and there's nowt wrong with it.

69project
14 years ago
at least its gone to a good home,i offerd a swop for my bcup car but money is king for most things at the mo!

Car less.....
pre67vw
14 years ago

VZI is not an accurate measure of the market, there are far too many people on there who want something for nothing.

mrsherbie wrote:

Hey, that describes me pretty well too :twisted:

£3k? :shock: I must be missing something

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mr Carlos
14 years ago
wow, all this banter over a little arctic '60. I have one myself - have had for 10 years in 2 weeks 😮 arctic/arctis colour RHD and with a lovely og Hills plate. She's beautiful but would never have thought such a car could create such strong comments. You all obviously know each other quite well so I probably shouldn't be typing here but just loved to see another RHD arctic '60

UserPostedImage paint is a bit faded these days..

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I broke an Arctic RHD '60 in the late 90's. I may still have the original wing beading somewhere.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

I broke an Arctic RHD '60 in the late 90's. I may still have the original wing beading somewhere.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I bet that was my Uncles '60 you bugger Richard...didn't get it from a farmyard up near Gatwick Airport did you?

I'll dig out some pictures later today...Dave Cantle and I went to see it but it was too far gone for a resto.:(
John.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

I bet that was my Uncles '60 you bugger Richard...didn't get it from a farmyard up near Gatwick Airport did you?

I'll dig out some pictures later today...Dave Cantle and I went to see it but it was too far gone for a resto.:(

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

John,

It may well have been. I didn't take any pics, but I bought it from somebody who'd purchased it to restore, but it was really bad and only good for breaking.