tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I'm looking for a set of 4 indicators, something like the one in the picture below but I can't find anywhere that sells them. Any ideas, please?

I'm happy with a repro item, although I'm not sure they were period anyway so maybe 'repro' doesn't really apply! Not essential, but what I particularly like about the one in the picture is how it appears to neatly clamp onto the bumper with no additional bracketry or drilling.

Beetle-Chrome-Indicator.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Oval54-NZ
14 years ago
RoRoVw
14 years ago

I'm looking for a set of 4 indicators, something like the one in the picture below but I can't find anywhere that sells them. Any ideas, please?

I'm happy with a repro item, although I'm not sure they were period anyway so maybe 'repro' doesn't really apply! Not essential, but what I particularly like about the one in the picture is how it appears to neatly clamp onto the bumper with no additional bracketry or drilling.

tman wrote:

I've fitted chrome indicators similar to these to three beetles now. The ones I've used I bought from a motor cycle dealer. They are a 'Bike It' accessory and they come in a bubble pack of two. You can get them with a long stem or a short stem - I've used the long stem ones and made small brackets to mount them on. The lights were £15.50 for a pair. They are far more expensive when I've seen them at classic car shows. They come already fitted with 12 volt bulbs so you'll have to change these but it's a fairly standard 6 volt, 10 watt bulb you'll need. Come and have a look at mine in the display at Stanford Hall - they are on both 8778 UB and 327 LPC.

mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes, they are not too hard to find but you have to look in different places. Personally I prefer the look of them mounted off a bracket as RoRoVw also, as I think that clamp looks a bit 'make do' ?
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
VW Stan
14 years ago
Do a search for 'indicators' in motorbike parts section on ebay.

This guy sells quite a few styles including the style you're after...

Ebay indicators...   8501_1.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
RoRoVw
14 years ago
Yes, those pictured above are the short stem type. I found that the long stem variety (7cm stem) were more suitable for use on a blade bumper. I've successfully adapted a pair of number plate clamps as brackets for these which means that you don't then have to mount off a bumper bracket bolt. The clamp-on number plate fixings I bought from Status, but Heritage also list them.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I never thought of looking for motorcycle indicators and I take on board the one about these being expensive at VW shows.

Jess, that website was one I'd never seen before - duly bookmarked, thanks. :beer:

Rob, if you see someone taking lots of pictures of your flasher brackets on Sunday that'll most likely be me, thanks! :d :beer:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
RoRoVw
14 years ago

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I never thought of looking for motorcycle indicators and I take on board the one about these being expensive at VW shows.

Jess, that website was one I'd never seen before - duly bookmarked, thanks. :beer:

Rob, if you see someone taking lots of pictures of your flasher brackets on Sunday that'll most likely be me, thanks! :d :beer:

tman wrote:

No problem. Only a small fee required:wink:
Kids taxi
14 years ago
Thats a great tip I must get some of those too , If it stops a Mum on the school run hitting my car Im all for it :d
Im too Old for This
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Another idea would be to make some brackets to mount from the bolt, these hella's are just a standard later type but fit early blade bumpers as I have tried them, and you see how easy it is just to make a bracket for this job, by bending a piece of steel strip in a vice and drilling, file it neat and paint it and it would look perfect! You could probably find a piece of metal to adapt in B&Q if you dont have scrap metal about! I have lots of different types of spot brackets (we dont sell them just hoard them) but many of the better ones mount of the irons so are far to heavy duty for the job you need as I bet those little lights weigh nothing! Also you see the brackets on my 50, these are all original ( although some are bent!) but these are an even more simple design!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Did anyone follow up on the auxillery lights?

I'm revising the rear lights on my Lowlight Ghia which were never intended for UK use.

At the moment the top bowed portion, which in normal UK lighting would be the indicator, is currently the sidelight and brake light. The lower part of the rear light is a flat red panel and carries the indicator.

UserPostedImage

In normal daylight the 6 volt indicators are nearly impossible to see, especially as they occupy the lower half of the light panel which most people expect to see the side/brake light.

In tight situations in heavy traffic this leads to confusion.

What I intend to do is swap the indicator to the top and the sidelight to the bottom. However because there is no room, as you can imagine from viewing the picture, for the larger double filament bulb under the flat lower panel, I will need to source an auxillery brake light to sit on the top of my rear bumper.

I'm thinking of using one of the rectangular Hella lamps. Anyone know where I can find one or options that will give a similar size lamp.
John.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Rather than have a separate brake light, why not mount a separate indicator on all four corners? Really a flashing red light always seems odd to me.

We use to run heart lights with the heart section as an indicator. So it flashed red and on 6v especially it was useless! :wink: We now run four small chrome indicators as discussed further up and these seem to work fine, you can even see them quite well in daylight. I think the fact that they look like they should be an indicator helps as you are looking for them.

William
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Rather than have a separate brake light, why not mount a separate indicator on all four corners? Really a flashing red light always seems odd to me.

54 Gertie wrote:

Yes I can understand what you say and having 4 auxillery indicators would allow the used of these LEDs https://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html 

Where did you buy your indicators?
John.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Hello

I think they came from this place. If not these are identical to what we run, as well as a few others I know along with Rob (RoRoVW) above.

https://www.4-motorcycles.co.uk/acatalog/Universal_Chrome_Indicators.html 

I made four small brackets to hold them, using to outer most holes for the bumper irons. Also, as Rob says,use the long stem ones at the very bottom of the page as this allows for a far smaller and less obtrusive bracket.

This is a photo of three very nice ovals at Hessisch, each with the same indicators but all fitted in slightly different ways. 😎

UserPostedImage

I may have a closeup of one of the brackets I made somewhere.....
William
Kabman
14 years ago

I'm thinking of using one of the rectangular Hella lamps. Anyone know where I can find one or options that will give a similar size lamp.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I used a pair of Hella reversing lamps as indicators instead of the flashing red brake lights. (It's a US spec '58 ).

The car was already 12V so I just used orange bulbs behind the clear lenses. I'm told it's hard to find 6V orange bulbs however. But if I was doing it again I'd use LEDs. I used the LED arrays out of some damaged Mondeo taillights to convert a pair of small spot lights into front indicators for another car. They would even still work as spotlights, if they were wired up - the LEDS are on a flexible foil and wrap around the edge of the reflector.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
The idea of fitting auxillery lights on my Lowlight Ghia has now been overtaken by a project we have going on in the Samba Ghia Forum: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380948 

Bespoke LED inserts for the rear light clusters. I'm talking to the guy who makes these for the 356:
UserPostedImage
https://culayer.com/356.htm 
John.