RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
As you're probably aware the Historic Beetle Display in front of the House at Stanford Hall is organised for the event by Keith Vipond and the Historic Volkswagen Club. The Display was originally for split rear window beetles and in 1993 was extended to include Ovals, the later, pre '67 beetles still being excluded. In recent years the Historic Club has been allowed to hold its Club display of beetles up to August 1967 in front of the House.

Over the past few months Keith and I have been trying to persuade the Stanford Hall Committee to extend the scope of the Historic Beetle Display to include beetles up to the end of the 1960 model year, ie. beetles having the first of the larger rear windows but still retaining the 30bhp engines and semaphore indicators. Our argument for their inclusion has been that in 1993 when the Display was extended to include Ovals, the youngest Oval was only 36 years old and yet by 2010, 17 years further on, a beetle built in 1960 will be celebrating its 50th birthday.

I'm now pleased to be able to report that our case has been accepted and approved by the Stanford Hall organisers and that for 2010 the Historic Beetle Display will be for all beetles built before August 1960! This is a huge leap forward as similar requests in previous years have never been favourably received.

The Display will be for pre-booked cars only and entry to the event will be free. For 2010 owners of cars that haven't previously entered the Display or are modified will have to submit a photo of their car with their entry form. All cars will be eligible for display providing that they are not overtly modified or lowered. Arrangements can be made for any Display cars to also enter the appropriate class in the Concours.

I understand that the Stanford Hall 2010 website will be going live in December or January so watch out for that and let's look forward to a good number of entries in the Display from Forum members.

Cheers,
Rob.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
I have to own up to having sneaked my Nov.'59 Beetle into the line-up some years ago. Having my Historic Club Badge displayed on the front towel rail nobody seemed too bothered...or were too scared to challenge me.:twisted:

The Beetle was about 41 years old then and now that I own a '58 Karmann Ghia I would still be officially excluded. I know there's a KG display but I'm not a member of the KG Club of GB and have a feeling my stock height KG would stick out like a sore thumb, now that Ian Broad has sold his Cardinal Red Ghia.

The Historic Display has always included Kubals, Schwimmers and other coachbuilts...it time the KG was recognised for what it is...a VW Coachbuilt.
John.
69project
14 years ago
result...im in...just!!!
Car less.....
stickman
14 years ago
Great news! Hopefully I can get my March 1960 included!!:d
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Thats great news, will certainly spice up the display with some great colours :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
14 years ago
Looks like my 65 cabrio will be in the car park then :cry: ah well, probably won't make it all the way there anyway :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

to include beetles up to the end of the 1960 model year

RoRoVw wrote:

The start of the slippery slope:wink:
Robb
14 years ago
i seemed to remember seeing a 66 and a 67 bug in that line up this year?
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
14 years ago
Those cars weren't in the main Historic Beetle Display in the circle in front of the House but were part of the Historic VW Club display on the grass inside the fence. Any Historic VW Club member can join that part of the display with a pre August 1967 VW but entry to the Stanford Hall event is not free for those vehicles.
Cheers,
Rob.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
So where does my '58 Karmann Ghia go? It's not a Beetle, I'm not in the Karmann Ghia Club of GB, It's not factory fresh concours...the car park outside?:?
John.
69project
14 years ago
yep next to the t25s and ratlooks....:wink:
Car less.....
harveypj
14 years ago

So where does my '58 Karmann Ghia go? It's not a Beetle, I'm not in the Karmann Ghia Club of GB, It's not factory fresh concours...the car park outside?:?

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Maybe you could line up along the fense where the 58-60 bugs were this year with the historic club.
Stock......the new custom
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
14 years ago

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Sorry, don't know. Its something you'd have to take up with the Stanford Hall organisers.
If you're an Historic VW Club member then you can join the Club display alongside the Historic Beetle Display in front of the House. No doubt if you were in the KG Club then you could display with them. Otherwise, I'm sure your Ghia would look great in the Concours.