Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi guys, does anyone have any recommendations for reading and learning about vintage VW speed ?

Ive found a few snippets here and there but most of my books are quite old and I am wondering if anyone has put a lot of the knowledge together anywhere in print.

Many thanks guys

64 Californian LHD Karmann Cabrio
56 Old Speed Oval RHD (MonteCarlo Rally) (for sale soon)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
14 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=ace4de27e2054de10ebf41f341db9905 

If you have the time there is plenty to read on that link.Probably more than any book could cover.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Cheers sunroof53 excellent πŸ™‚
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
What old books do you have Cog?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
most commercially available vw books from the late 80s. So anything newer that has more or new information I am lacking. However this TheSamba forum is great for my needs now.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

most commercially available vw books from the late 80s. So anything newer that has more or new information I am lacking. However this TheSamba forum is great for my needs now.

Cog wrote:

For "Vintage Speed" it's a good idea to look for older books than those of the late '80s. By it's very definition "Vintage Speed" is all about how they did it when these cars were new.

https://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/preparation.html 
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I have a copy of "Jezt mach Ich Ihm Schneller" (Now IΒ΄ll make it faster) from the late 1960s, but itΒ΄s all in German. Very good book though.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks for these ideas guys i will look into them. John you have misquoted me, read the post from the start. I am saying my existing literature does not hit the mark and is old i.e. From the 80's that was commercially available at the time and therefore is not covering what i needed. Books i bought then covered basic model history, 70's style customs and cal lookers. Anyhing vintage was not apparent at the time to me. Therefore even though 'old' since we are in 2009, certainly not period which either would be earleir books or newer books than mine that covered vintage speed.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Well thanks for putting me right on that "cog"...I'm sure it's much clearer for all of us now.:d
John.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
your welcome. Thanks for the book suggestions I will keep a look out.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
If you are new to "Vintage Speed" you might not be aware that this designation did not exist 10 years ago. It's a category that has steadily grown in popularity as the Internet got under way.

The www made searching for information and obsolete hardware very much easier but 10 years ago "Vintage Speed" consisted mainly of Judson Superchargers, Okrasa Kits for 30 and 34hp engines and performance equipment marketed by the original EMPI company in California.

What this means is you are not going to find books written in the last 20 years on the subject, it just too small a market in the larger "VW World". Sure there are books on performance VW engine building but all are aimed at the later twin port Type 1, Type 3 and Type 4 engines.

Virtually everything pertaining to the genre will be found on the Internet Forums and those two books I listed earlier which are collectively considered to be The Bible of Vintage Speed tuning.

Happy hunting...that's half the fun. :d
John.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
THanks John, yes I walked away from the VW scene (to my loss) in the early 90's hence why my book collection is so 'period' . TheSamba forum looks great and I have also enjoyed looking at all the small blogs some guys are contributing to for their own builds. Its an amazing area. I used to have a Shorrock but it just sat around and was given to a guy for the complete contents of his pockets (Β£80) around 1992. I hope to learn a lot more and find something nice as a donar. I recently got hold of a '65 RHD Ghia but it's original (although a bit tatty) so I am not sure I want to do too much to it, at least for now anyway.

Anyway, TheSamba, and this forum is great so I will be doing more reading than ranting I hope in the future.

All the best.

Guy
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

THanks John, yes I walked away from the VW scene (to my loss) in the early 90's hence why my book collection is so 'period' . TheSamba forum looks great and I have also enjoyed looking at all the small blogs some guys are contributing to for their own builds. Its an amazing area. I used to have a Shorrock but it just sat around and was given to a guy for the complete contents of his pockets (Β£80) around 1992. I hope to learn a lot more and find something nice as a donar. I recently got hold of a '65 RHD Ghia but it's original (although a bit tatty) so I am not sure I want to do too much to it, at least for now anyway.

Anyway, TheSamba, and this forum is great so I will be doing more reading than ranting I hope in the future.

All the best.

Guy

Cog wrote:

Ahhh, as a new "Vintage Speed" fan and a Karmann Ghia owner you might like to visit the Samba's Karmann Ghia forum too: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=7  Quite a few UK owners on that forum and you might find this picture familiar...my supercharger to be fitted to my '58 Ghia early next month.:d

UserPostedImage

I won't spoil your day by telling you how much you would have to pay for a full Shorrock Kit today.:?
John.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
I can guess John 😞 when I came back to the VW scene in the early 00's I was amaized at how much T2s had gone up in value for example. I bought a '56 Oval at that time but had to sell a year later when I downsized but had the original split gearbox and original engine case. I could not take it with me when I moved to downsize so i advertised it. Because no one wanted it I was forced to skip them. I feel that pain every day !!!!
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
nice piece of kit John, I take it you dont use that toothbrush in the bathroom anymore πŸ™‚

I look forward to seeing your Ghia with this in.

Guy
reminou75
14 years ago
Hi John,

the perfect set up for Le Mans Classic... 😎

Remi
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Hi John,

the perfect set up for Le Mans Classic... 😎

Remi

reminou75 wrote:

Yes Remi, it will be there.:d
John.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

nice piece of kit John, I take it you dont use that toothbrush in the bathroom anymore :-)

Guy

Cog wrote:

My wife caught me with the electric one but sent me back to get my old one.:(
John.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
That pic is bring back memories of 20 yrs ago, is it a Shorrock? I see Judsons all the time in magazines and I dont think its a Judson, in my unqualified view.

TheSamba's KG forum looks awesome, I will be spending hours there too πŸ™‚ Thanks once again John.

KG at Le Mans !! when does that happen? awesome!! how do you get involved in that? very inspiring...
vintagebug
14 years ago

Have a look here, Guy:-

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=17084 

Contact Reminou 75 if you're interested. :wink:

Cheers,

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"