mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Here's a couple more photos: just put on a NOS driver door lock with OG key, replacement boot lid lock, temporary NS 1/4 light, as the lock handle had broken off the old one. (When I do the doors, I reuse the old one, just remove the glass from the frame and replace the handle, as the replacement doesn't have large SEKURIT marked glass.) I'll look to replace the windscreen at some stage with OG large SEKURIT marked glass, as it has a replacement. Larry, owing to the LA prefix drives very well, though I need to sort out the choke cable as it's stuck, and to start the car I need to tweak the carb first. The NOS bias plys really are nice, and I'm getting a buzz from driving her /him. The hearts might be up a little too high, but the wings are shot in this area, and esp the OS wing the holes and surrounding area is rusted through, so am using existing holes from later light housing additions until the wings are redone. Daily making a body work list: door bottoms, wings massaged, rear valance plated up when I obtain a single tip exhaust, rear O/S lower 1/4 redone. But for now, just enjoying.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Take care, Matt
Semaphores sourced, thanks Rich... looking for Westy SO23 interior parts.
vintagevw
14 years ago
Hi Matt,
If you need details about an March 55 oval , I have one too in original first paint.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Thanks Pascal, I'll be asking questions regarding interior details when the body off is done. Next spring with luck. When I will mount the semaphores (if I can find the right ones...): Being sure that the OG colour was L41, I need to get the birth certificate from the museum, but I think that the brick red leatherette interior is original. Old carpets were really bad, so they've gone to the bin, the 70s headlining is out, and the leatherette pillar covers, window surrounds were torn, frayed, again in bad condition. So removed them. The seats are pretty good, just one tear on the drivers seat, back seat is fine too. So they'll be cleaned up, repaired where needed. Door and 1/4 panels are okay, but where the car has let in water in the past, they have warped, and then a PO has screwed through them, so despite wanting to use them, when the resto proper begins, I'll probably go with replacements.

Today on the way home from a little get together first problems: noticed a smell of petrol, then when coming to a junction and engine not revving, stalled. Wouldn't restart. Carb dripping fuel, so dried everything off with rag. After about 15 mins restarted. Got it home, without an engine fire thankfully, but just as I arrived same thing happened again. These crappy photochopped shots might shed some light:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Only did it when hot, later on in the afternoon, when I ran the engine for while, no dripping. Perhaps a gasket is shot, or the butterfly is knackered?

Of course it had to happen when I was late home to cook Sunday lunch, right in a load of traffic near a market on a hill in a narrow street etc etc. Not worth repeating my wife's words from our telephone conversation:? But a sanitised version is something like - "I told you so!"

I'll change over the carb tommorrow, my friends are bringing a spare over. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Choke cable is also stuck - so have to prime the carb before starting it. Ah joy, in the rain. Other than that, what a great car, to quote Bob Dylan, - His clothes are dirty, but his, his hands are clean.

Eg body work may look a little rough round the edges, but all the brakes, mechanicals, saftey aspects have been renewed, replaced, sorted etc. Here in Portugal people give to much credit to a shiney paint job and chrome wheels than worrying about the bits underneath.

Take care, Matt
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Perhaps a gasket is shot, or the butterfly is knackered?

mattfromportugal wrote:

I'd put my money on it being a problem with the float or the float valve, which is causing the float chamber to overflow. I don't know the 28PCI particularly well but there is almost certainly a breather (overflow?) going from the top of the float chamber into the throat of the carb. With the engine misfiring and spluttering, the fuel is emerging from any and every orifice! 🙂
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Yes, I didn't mention, as I'd forgotten, but as the smell of fuel increased, so did the sputtering - and the engine was running more ragged. Let's see what the replacement carb will do for the old girl...

Matt
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Counting down to Saturday when I pick up the Single Cab. Can't wait. Took the carb off the '55 and my friends have stripped it and are sorting it out, ready for tommorrow. I am going to lay some cheap natural fibre type carpetting down for the moment, as the plan is to take the body off and sand blast the floorpan next spring.

Will report in with photos over the weekend.

Take care, Matt
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
My friends overhauled the carb, full of dirt etc. Now like new again. Fitted it up, took it to Vintage Vans, ran like a dream.
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Brought the 58 Single Cab home today. It's now nestling in amongst other split screen vans and a Porsche 356...

A couple of small details missing. Drivers door lock. Indicator stalk. Double lock for the treasure chest. Lock cover for engine lid. Oil filter. Semaphores. All of which hopefully I'll be able to source here. (Maybe need some help re year correct semaphores). However, I did not have time to search through the original owner's second garage where these bits might be.

Hard to find details, such as the OG rear lights, centre brake light, ribbed bumpers, safaris etc are all present and correct and in excellent condition. Have the church key, crank handle etc. Cab interior is very clean. OG rubber mat, pedal rubbers etc. Dove blue paint on the cab floor. No holes. Engine turns over by hand nicely, and looks to be in VGC. Hopefully will have it running Monday / Tuesday. Will order a new 6V battery and work through the electrical system. Pics to follow.

Take care, Matt
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
The first time out of the garage since well before 1980:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Up she goes...

UserPostedImage

A vintage VW atop a modern one... and ready for the road.

UserPostedImage

A few hours later she was safely tucked up with split screen friends...

Take care, Matt
zelensis61
14 years ago
You lucky guy...
Congrats with the new car. Looks great.
Best regards Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Got her running today! Didn't take much, the engine was already turning over easily on the crank handle. Made sure there was sufficient oil for a short run, cranked her over a few times, connected up a battery and jerry can, turned the key, and 2nd time she fired up. The only thing wrong was a loose stretched fan belt, and will need to replace the oil seal. Did a few more bits and pieces, replacing the aftermarket indicators with sempahores, fitting a NOS drivers door lock, cleaning up chrome work, tomorrow will sort out the treasure chest lock mechanism. Video and photos to follow.

Take care,

Matt
GKL 7
14 years ago
Great find,i love it.
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Already put in both semaphores, 6V battery arriving tomorrow. Sorted the ignition barrel, the one thing that I am missing of importance is the double lock mechanism for the treasure chest. If anybody has one, for the 58, please let me know.

Here are 2 videos from Tuesday when we got her started for the first time in over 30 years... the first video is when is stared on the 2nd attempt, and the next video shows it running a bit better. The fan belt is loose / stretched, hence the flapping type noise. Otherwise, all okay.

More detailed photos to follow. I'm really loving this already. I drive to the workshops in the '55 Oval, and work on the '58 Single cab!

Take care, Matt
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Took a few detail photos of the single cab. (Well, yesterday actually but only got round to posting today...)

UserPostedImage

A few bits and pieces collected in preparation.

UserPostedImage

Passenger side, having removed the aftermarket blinker. PO had cut one of the OG wires to back to under the dash, so I've had to rewire it a bit here.

UserPostedImage

Drivers side semaphore in. Cleaning at a later date.

UserPostedImage

Somehow doubt that this is the right mileage. Probably been round the clock...

UserPostedImage

Cab floor just has surface rust, OG mat is pretty good.

UserPostedImage

Interesting details, all part of the SC's history.

UserPostedImage

OG safaris are in excellent shape, although notice the drivers side frame was bent (without breaking the glass) when the SC was hit in the front.

The OG rubbers just need a good clean, and something to soften them up slightly before I take them out to clean out any rust underneath. Latches are very nice.

More photos to follow as this progresses. The PO had gone over the whole truck with a thin brushed on layer, I guess following the accident; not a bad colour match. It's coming off very easily, and the OG dove blue underneath is amazing.

Take care, Matt
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
A few shots from where I've taken the later paint back to OG Dove blue.

In the workshop with friends...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
mattfromportugal
14 years ago
Thanks to Rich Oakley, now have a single tip exhaust for the 55 oval, it'll be sorted out over Christmas and fitted up when I do the body off. Thanks Rich!

On to the single cab. Started rewiring as the OG wiring was hacked about. Someone had fitted up a 12V battery in the past and blew all the bulbs - so been replacing those including the speedo. Still need to sort out the bulbs and wiring for the 3rd brake light/numberplate light. (Thanks Paulo for helping...) Fitted a NOS ignition, so she now starts on the key. The crank handle rear valance needs straightening a little before I risk starting it on the handle.

Think I've sourced an OG set of hoops and if so will have some bows made up, and look around for a good OG tilt (anyone?) or repro.

Anyway here's some photos...

Passenger's door back to OG

UserPostedImage

Wiring

UserPostedImage

Think I've sorted a lock for the treasure chest.

UserPostedImage

Comparing driver's and passenger's side of the nose...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Headlight buckets still have OG factory writing inside...

Take care, Matt