69project
14 years ago
ok i have a thread on the dark side but hoped someone on here can help me

having issues with my semaphores,i.e they wont work!

previous owner said that he was fitting 12v for mot but i think he may have been bending the truth but im not fussed

have looked at semaphores and they are a bit of a mess really,coils are tatty as well as bulbs section etc...

if i have to change them for either 6v nos or copies then thats fine but what is happening suggests other issues

bug is october 59,first issue is that im only getting voltage from one side of indicator stalk.have taken off wheel and looked at stalk but it seems as though an internal connection is intermittent for rh side as well as small fixing screw being worn and not letting me refix wheel now!

at suppliers they list that its 6 wire,have this now but am actually only using 3 so are they different???

back to semaphores...

have (sometimes!)12v heading out on semaphore cable but when they are wired up this voltage dissapears!can lift up semaphore and it will stay up and highlight light in speedo until switch off at stalk but there is no voltage?.could this be an earth issue or is coil just knackered?

anybody have any ideas before i spend money?

thanks

simon

Car less.....
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

ok i have a thread on the dark side but hoped someone on here can help me

having issues with my semaphores,i.e they wont work!

previous owner said that he was fitting 12v for mot but i think he may have been bending the truth but im not fussed

have looked at semaphores and they are a bit of a mess really,coils are tatty as well as bulbs section etc...

if i have to change them for either 6v nos or copies then thats fine but what is happening suggests other issues

bug is october 59,first issue is that im only getting voltage from one side of indicator stalk.have taken off wheel and looked at stalk but it seems as though an internal connection is intermittent for rh side as well as small fixing screw being worn and not letting me refix wheel now!

at suppliers they list that its 6 wire,have this now but am actually only using 3 so are they different???

back to semaphores...

have (sometimes!)12v heading out on semaphore cable but when they are wired up this voltage dissapears!can lift up semaphore and it will stay up and highlight light in speedo until switch off at stalk but there is no voltage?.could this be an earth issue or is coil just knackered?

anybody have any ideas before i spend money?

thanks

simon

69project wrote:

Your car should have a 3-wire indicator switch. 6-wire switches were used on non-semaphore 1956-61 cars.

Take the semaphores out of the car and test them directly on a battery. You'll soon know if they're knackered or not. If you need some perfect correct '59 ones...
https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=2192 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
69project
14 years ago
is the switch the same then?

looks as though the previous owner fitted the six wire and just cut off remaining

bidding on semaphores but get impression they are going to be expensive...

Car less.....