RoRoVw
14 years ago

He does indeed have a grab handle but I am afraid I have no idea whether it is original or a later fit - I know I didn't do it!

There are at least two of his previous owners on here so maybe they can help? Or anyone else? He's a late January '53 if that helps anyone...

Pricivius wrote:

That's an interesting question. The grab handle was commented on in the December 1992 Volsworld feature on the car where it was said not to be a standard feature for the year but a dealer supplied extra. That seems unliklely as I don't think that grab handles were introduced until August 1960, although they were available earlier on cabrios. Whatever the true story - the handle has certainly been with the car for many years.
GKL 7
14 years ago
The handle was there in the '70's.
And so was a lot more, that has gone missing.:cry:

BTW what was written in Volksworld is a long way from the correct story of the car.Writers licence??????They didn't even get it right as to where the car was found.
Pricivius
14 years ago

The handle was there in the '70's.
And so was a lot more, that has gone missing.:cry:

BTW what was written in Volksworld is a long way from the correct story of the car.Writers licence??????They didn't even get it right as to where the car was found.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Are you suggesting my Zwitter is more intriguing and mysterious than the car who shall not be named? :wink:

What else did he have, '50 Karmann?
Dawn
GKL 7
14 years ago
Overhead parcel net,glovebox door clock,rally dash,all original wings,original rear valance,original running boards and mats etc.
Don't get me wrong you have a lovely car,i just can't understand why so much was removed.
One interesting point---i paid £600 for the car and had to sell it, as i was moving house,i thought i'd done really well when i sold it for a £1000.
The good old days:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pricivius
14 years ago
That's quite a list! He has taken a knock at some point though which may explain some of the changes...

And don't worry - the more I learn about him, the more I appreciate him and his history. It's really interesting to have people like you and RoRoVw around to share some of his past.
Dawn
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I personally think that SSU is a great car. Ok, it's not 100% original, but it's in very nice, useable condition. My advice would be use it and enjoy it. If a set of semaphores come up for the right money, buy them. If not, don't worry.

Can you fill us in on the history a bit more George?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RoRoVw
14 years ago

Overhead parcel net,glovebox door clock,rally dash,all original wings,original rear valance,original running boards and mats etc.
Don't get me wrong you have a lovely car,i just can't understand why so much was removed.
One interesting point---i paid £600 for the car and had to sell it, as i was moving house,i thought i'd done really well when i sold it for a £1000.
The good old days:lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

SSU had none of those items when I owned it, nor when Charles Oldroyd was the owner. I wonder when they disappeared?

If I remember correctly then documents in the history file show that it once changed hands for £50 and on another occasion was swapped for a Daimler! (I think).
GKL 7
14 years ago

SSU had none of those items when I owned it, nor when Charles Oldroyd was the owner. I wonder when they disappeared?

RoRoVw wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was the owner after me.
The body panels went because he thought he was doing the right thing at the time,he had better looking panels,so he used them.
Talking to him years later,i'm sure he realised his mistake.
I purchased the car from a guy in Cherry Willingham,Lincolnshire it had stood in his garage for years(the car had never been to Wales before the previous owner to Pricivius,i didn't live here at the time,although it stated in the magazine article it was found here.)The person i sold it to had in fact been to primary school in the small village of Cherry Willingham.
I remember trailering the car home as if it were yesterday.
One strange thing i noticed when i saw it a few months ago,as far as i am aware the accident damage to the F/N/S quarter had not happened until after i had sold the car on.

It is a great useable car,and i in fact contenplated buying it for a second time.There will be hundreds of hours of fun for the new owner and i wish him well.
Pricivius
14 years ago
Thanks, Robert and George. What an interesting and varied history he has had. I fully intend to enjoy him and take him out as much as possible. We are forecast a dry day tomorrow so hopefully we will be out and about.

I am keeping half an eye out for a garage-mate for him, so if anyone has any suggestions...:wink:

Dawn
69project
14 years ago
For all the bitchiness that forums attract,isnt it nice to have a thread where so much great information is shared for a present owner to enjoy 😎
Car less.....
Standard split
14 years ago

Are you suggesting my Zwitter is more intriguing and mysterious than the car who shall not be named? :wink:

Pricivius wrote:

Nothing can be more intiguing or mysterious than the certain unmentionable motorcar8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago

For all the bitchiness that forums attract,isnt it nice to have a thread where so much great information is shared for a present owner to enjoy 😎

69project wrote:

This forum NEVER attracts any such postings:roll:

However, please share any further info or images you may have on Rattletrap for his present owner to enjoy (see signature below) – but post only in Rattletrap's thread otherwise Rob will not be too pleased and Rattletrap and his present carer may well get the push:shock:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Johnsahib
4 years ago
Having just bought a Pastel Green 1953 VW Beetle Zwitter registration number SSU 687 or previously VMU 76 G and before that German Zollenzeichen number 660-Z-6580, I was very interested to read all about the car and some of the items that have gone missing or been sold off by some of the previous twelve owners since 1988.

The one that does remain, however, is the Grab Handle which appears to have caused some interest, in Bob Wilson's Book "The 1949-1959 VW Beetle", it states,

" Grab Handle An option until 1961 on the sedan, the passenger grab handle was found on some 1950's Beetles. This handle was mounted at the top of the dash in front of the front seat passenger. The early handles were made of aluminium with rubber fronts and chrome end pieces. In May 1954 the grab handle came as standard equipment on the convertible."

There is also some indication from a Swedish site that ribbed semaphores were phased out in January 1953.

It is my intention to add some of the missing parts as time goes on but I'm specifically looking for the VIN Plate that should be behind the spare wheel, if anyone has it tucked away somewhere I would appreciate a call through this means.