JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Since there´s no way to contact this mysterious band of fellows, I thought I´d just throw this out there.

I was reading their wonderful blog and looking at the Sebring exhaust again, and noticed that it mentions that they want to make some Abarth style exhausts too. Just wanted to ask if there are any developments on this? My motor is starting to come together and I´m really going to need an exhaust pretty soon. The engine builder (The Talented Mr Simon) tells me I´m going to burn my valves up if I run the new motor at more than 2000rpm for too long on the stock pipes, and the repro Abarths aren´t really much better. I need something at least semi stock looking or Abarthy to get by the TÜV, but with a lot more flow.

Can you help me out please!!?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
oval56
14 years ago

Since there´s no way to contact this mysterious band of fellows, I thought I´d just throw this out there.

I was reading their wonderful blog and looking at the Sebring exhaust again, and noticed that it mentions that they want to make some Abarth style exhausts too. Just wanted to ask if there are any developments on this? My motor is starting to come together and I´m really going to need an exhaust pretty soon. The engine builder (The Talented Mr Simon) tells me I´m going to burn my valves up if I run the new motor at more than 2000rpm for too long on the stock pipes, and the repro Abarths aren´t really much better. I need something at least semi stock looking or Abarthy to get by the TÜV, but with a lot more flow.

JD wrote:

any details on your engine??

my 1433 runs with a stock exhaust and tde pipes more than 8000km fine, also my other engiens runn witht stockpipes fine... no problems witht the valves until now
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
It will be a 1500cc 30hp with a Pre A crank, 912 rods and iron Pre A replacement cylinders and a better cam.
I´m only going by what my friend tells me. I really don´t want to take a chance on hurting the motor.
UserPostedImage
oval56
14 years ago

It will be a 1500cc 30hp with a Pre A crank, 912 rods and iron Pre A replacement cylinders and a better cam.
I´m only going by what my friend tells me. I really don´t want to take a chance on hurting the motor.

JD wrote:

same thing on my engine... bore 82,5 crank 74 porsche....

on my 1433 i run same setup but only 78,5mm bore with a stock exhaust and tde pipes...
timeing / ignition is one point at the setup, exhaust flow the other one
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

same thing on my engine... bore 82,5 crank 74 porsche....

on my 1433 i run same setup but only 78,5mm bore with a stock exhaust and tde pipes...
timeing / ignition is one point at the setup, exhaust flow the other one

oval56 wrote:

Have you ever tried running a header and quiet pack exhaust, just to see how it would go?
I realise the look won´t be what you are after!
UserPostedImage
reminou75
14 years ago
Hi James,
you could try to find an Eberspacher exhaust! Period correct, but quite hard to find...
oval56
14 years ago

Have you ever tried running a header and quiet pack exhaust, just to see how it would go?
I realise the look won´t be what you are after!

JD wrote:

yes i have... but not on road, i modified a cheap header and a singel quiet pipe, but it looks not as i want to have the look, so i changed it to the stock with the tde pipes
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

Hi James,
you could try to find an Eberspacher exhaust! Period correct, but quite hard to find...

reminou75 wrote:

The factory is about a mile from here. I should go and look in the bins out the back!

Thanks for the info though. Are they really better than stock?
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

yes i have... but not on road, i modified a cheap header and a singel quiet pipe, but it looks not as i want to have the look, so i changed it to the stock with the tde pipes

oval56 wrote:

Hmmm... I have no chance to get round the TüV with that set up ether. I wonder if you would have noticed much difference on the road?
UserPostedImage
oval56
14 years ago

Hmmm... I have no chance to get round the TüV with that set up ether. I wonder if you would have noticed much difference on the road?

JD wrote:

what is the problem with the tüv??

mahag münchen or sauer&sohn use nearly the same header, the tüvpapers are to get by kaeferfriseure.de in the downloadaera ( sure not for 30hp, but if you bild a 1500cc you have to tell that the man of the tuv)

www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

what is the problem with the tüv??

mahag münchen or sauer&sohn use nearly the same header, the tüvpapers are to get by kaeferfriseure.de in the downloadaera ( sure not for 30hp, but if you bild a 1500cc you have to tell that the man of the tuv)

oval56 wrote:

Really? I didn´t know that. Thanks, I´ll take a look. Thought it was illegal to use a header type. Not really the look I wanted either.

Half the point of having a 1500cc 30hp is that I don´t have to tell the TüV!
UserPostedImage
oval56
14 years ago

Really? I didn´t know that. Thanks, I´ll take a look. Thought it was illegal to use a header type. Not really the look I wanted either.

Half the point of having a 1500cc 30hp is that I don´t have to tell the TüV!

JD wrote:

my man at the tuv staion knows that i use a 356 crank and what bore i use.. it is not quite different from original pre a 356 2pc case...

it was a common thing to upgrade this engine if some had the money in former times...
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
Maybe I´ll drive over and see your TüV guy. Could be easier than trying to find anyone here. Would be good to get it legal.
How does your guy feel about Okrasa parts? No problems I guess?
UserPostedImage
oval56
14 years ago

Maybe I´ll drive over and see your TüV guy. Could be easier than trying to find anyone here. Would be good to get it legal.
How does your guy feel about Okrasa parts? No problems I guess?

JD wrote:

no problem with okrasa parts... the only thing wich could be a problem is the power of my engine :roll: :d there i have to discuss, because if i get over 50hp he want to see a better brake... :roll: :roll: 😳 but i will see what my guy on the dyno can do for me ähhhh for the tuv guy :lol: :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
So it´s 50ps on standard drums? Thats good to know also. I wondered about CSP discs, but with the old "diagonal" tyres, there´s not much point! :lol:
Hey - thanks for all the help - I learned a lot. Hope you don´t mind if I have some more questions sometime?

Now where are the Oldtimer Oldspeed club?? It´s like trying to contact The A Team!
UserPostedImage
lou cypher
14 years ago

Now where are the Oldtimer Oldspeed club?? It´s like trying to contact The A Team!

JD wrote:

If you have a problem
If no one else can help
and if you can find them
Maybe you can hire...........The OOC :roll:

We've been busy welding and machining our heads for 12mm spark plugs :wink:

JD
  • JD
14 years ago

If you have a problem
If no one else can help
and if you can find them
Maybe you can hire...........The OOC :roll:

We've been busy welding and machining our heads for 12mm spark plugs :wink:

lou cypher wrote:

:d So - any exhaust action on the horizon...? Help a guy out!!
UserPostedImage
keekster
14 years ago

JD wrote:

Not sure how running over 2000rpm will burn the valves. A stock engine revs to 4000. The main restriction on the exhaust is the tail pipes. This can be helped by removing the sound deadning in them or fitting taper tips, which was an old school mod.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Don't know if you've read this James. It's the relevant passages from Dick Morgan's period tuning book "Souping the Volkswagen":

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Thanks to www.oldspeed.ch for reproducing the whole book online: https://www.oldspeed.ch/pages/preparation.html 

The key to it is reducing back pressure.
John.
Si Med
14 years ago

Hi James,

reminou75 wrote:

Rich Oakley has 2 for sale right now... pre and post 56
54 UK rhd