cupa65
  • cupa65
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hello all

Thought I would share some information gained from restoring a genuine matching number 37K mile Beetle, not that it needs much! Car was delivered 16th Jan 1965 to Northern Sweden. It has never been touched or restored and looks to have been taken off the road sometime in 1973.

All items are original and the following bear the date stamp 12/64 (December 1964) Release bearing, dynamo, starter motor, speedo cable and steering box. Even the clutch bowden cable and handbrake cables bear vw part numbers and logos. It still has the original heat exchangers, which are in perfect condition.

The front torsion bar has a painted number on the right upright and the steering box looks to have been painted whilst attached at the factory. There looks to be no primer applied before the black top coat. The started motor even has paint runs just as it left the factory.

If anyone is interested I can post pictures.

Cheers  IMG_1837.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1839.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1840.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1843.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1847.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mooney3019
14 years ago
same as mine it has done 55k and came from finland built 30/7/65 it has numbers all over it under the seats on the from beam etc, pics would be good !
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Please post some pictures!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Please post some pictures!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Pictures now posted
mooney3019
14 years ago
Same condition as mine and same colour too
I have cleaned off 1 wheel arch so far, it is covered
in underseal , what are you using to clean it
off?
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Same condition as mine and same colour too
I have cleaned off 1 wheel arch so far, it is covered
in underseal , what are you using to clean it
off?

mooney3019 wrote:

Hi

The best method to remove the dreaded underseal is a Snapon 1 inch flat blade gasket scraper and rubber mallet. I have tried the following , Undergone ( It didn't go), Petrol it evaporated too quickly, Jizer and Turps. So here goes, find an edge, angle the scraper at about 45 degrees to body and tap. The colder the better. The underseal basically shatters off. The first wheel arch took me 10 days using a brush, Jizer and 4 hundred cloths. By the fourth wheel arch I had cleaned approx 75% off in 1 hr!!. Around the tricky bits such as bumper hangers and horn bracket I used Jizer. Covering the area with polythene after painting on Jizer softens the underseal so it comes off easier.

I have left the floorpan and under the luggage floor, I can't face it!!

Post some pics

Cheers

Richard
pre67vw
14 years ago
I think it depends on what you're going to do when the underseal is off - my experience of scraping the underseal off is that it's extremely difficult not to scratch the paint underneath. So if you're going to repaint it all then thats fine, but if you just want to renew then the scratches may be more of an issue.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Lovely car! Thanks for posting pictures. How did you find that in the north of Sweden? I bought a '53 Oval from Kiruna in Sweden, just inside the Arctic Circle once. It's cold up there, but roads are salt-free.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

I think it depends on what you're going to do when the underseal is off - my experience of scraping the underseal off is that it's extremely difficult not to scratch the paint underneath. So if you're going to repaint it all then thats fine, but if you just want to renew then the scratches may be more of an issue.

pre67vw wrote:

Thats where the technique comes in. If you get the scraper at the correct angle the underseal shells off without touching the paint.You are actually chipping the underseal off. However dont think when you have removed the underseal you will have a perfect pristine paint finish. The wheel arches on my car had solvent bubbles, paint runs, dry patches with no top coat and scratches.

Happy chipping!
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Lovely car! Thanks for posting pictures. How did you find that in the north of Sweden? I bought a '53 Oval from Kiruna in Sweden, just inside the Arctic Circle once. It's cold up there, but roads are salt-free.

Rich Oakley wrote:

The car was bought via Bob at BBT in Belgium. He collected the car from Northern Sweden but never met the owner. I have some pictures from the owners back yard.

Richard
Robb
14 years ago
Looking good. Is it a metal scraper you used?
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Robb wrote:

I'll post a picture but in the mean time the Snap On code is CSA88
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Robb wrote:

I'll post a picture but in the mean time the Snap On code is CSA88
harveypj
14 years ago
Another option.....
I found a wooded kitchen spatular used in conjunction with a heat gun worked pretty well with minimal marking. move in with the heat gun and chase it along with the spatular. . you'll be left with black skid marks from the underseal, but these are easily removed with a rag and petrol.
you can keep a good edge and radius the corners of the spatular with a file.

Stock......the new custom
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Another option.....
I found a wooded kitchen spatular used in conjunction with a heat gun worked pretty well with minimal marking. move in with the heat gun and chase it along with the spatular. . you'll be left with black skid marks from the underseal, but these are easily removed with a rag and petrol.
you can keep a good edge and radius the corners of the spatular with a file.

harveypj wrote:

Stock the new custom but with 356A brakes, 356 4.5'' J wheels, TDE 26 mm tailpipes, Reichert twin carbs and Bosch 010 distributor but thats just me:wink:
Howard81
14 years ago
Sometimes you'll find wax inspectors marks under the underseal :)

Most parts are date-stamped, hence a fully-restored concours car isn't always "correct" :wink:

My '66 1300 was a one-owner 36,000 mile car when I bought it in 1998. It how has 57,000 on the clock.

The factory paint under the dashboard, as well as underneath the bonnet and decklid has quite a few "factory" runs in the paint!!!

So far I have resisted the urge to remove the dealer-supplied underseal...
1966 Volkswagen 1300
1978 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Seven
1962 MGA
1965 Mobylette SP50
59 Ragtop
14 years ago

Looking great8)
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago
Car looks great. Did it com with US spec bumpers? With regards inspectors marks I have loads of crayon on my car, I'll post a pic.

Cheers

Richard  IMG_1490.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
BLINX
14 years ago
There are certainly some lovely beetles available in Europe...I would love to see some pics. Please post them guys. Thanks