cupa65
  • cupa65
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi all

Am I reading too much into the whole "matching numbers thing?" Or is it;like Porsche 356's; becoming more relevant? My latest car has never been touched so everything on the car car is correct and original. It starts to get you a bit crazy! In the past, I would without thought, change bolts for new or stainless. Now if i can re-plate bolts I will. It is surprising how you can overhaul a dynamo casing to as new condition using electro plating. Kamax bolts look like new with a little BZP, but would anyone be bothered.

You tell me

Cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
I think as the cars move from quirky alternatives to serious collector cars then matching numbers become more and more relevant. Just look at some of the metalwork going into some of these cars, 10 years ago only a handful of really rare VW's were restored to this caliber - now ovals and newer are getting the full treatment.

In a way I think it's this that's making me a little bored of the scene, as much as I like to see awesome restorations - it pushes the prices out from being a hobby into a much more serious investment.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
59 Ragtop
14 years ago

I agree it is becoming more the norm these days, some of the restos are amazing. Although it is hard to keep up with the costs, particularly for parts these days. The prices seem to increase overnight...
GKL 7
14 years ago

I think it's this that's making me a little bored of the scene

pre67vw wrote:

I'm right there with you Rob.It's mega money now,it's just all too serious.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Matching numbers cars have always been special to me, even when nobody else cared! There's nothing better than finding an un-touched car with original body panels and engine. However, as Rob states, the ever more collectable nature of the older and rarer Volkswagens is bringing these special classic cars to the attention of a lot of people. On the up side of this, we have amazing restorations being carried out that would never (or rarely ever) have been seen ten years ago. On the downside, only wealthy Texan oil barons, Middle-Eastern investment bankers (you know who you are :wink: ) and oligarchs from the former Eastern Bloc countries can afford to buy these vehicles.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Middle-Eastern investment bankers (you know who you are :wink: )

Rich Oakley wrote:

They,can come in very very handy at times.God bless them.
Standard split
14 years ago

They,can come in very very handy at times.God bless them.

'50 Karmann wrote:

So that's where your Karmann Cabrio went:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago

So that's where your Karmann Cabrio went:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Mine and a lot of others John.  51wYlgoiCpL__SL500_AA240_.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

Mine and a lot of others John.

'50 Karmann wrote:

That geezer looks like your hit man that's been after me:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
cupa65
  • cupa65
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi

I have resisted new paint, interior and even an engine rebuild. My Sympathetic Resto consists of cleaning, polishing, greasing, a few new seals and powder coating of rusty tinwear. I agree that costs can start to get out of control but in alot of instances the original parts cleaned and repainted are much better than new! I managed to find NOS running boards from www.vw-classicparts.de they are part of the VW factory and are located in Wolfsburg, they were 59 euro each.

I also got SC type keys cut there from the lock code number, I think they were 13 euros each also they do the rare KOLB blanks for 5 euros.In total I think I spent £35 on replating all nuts, bolts and brake pipes. The moral is is doesn't have to be that expensive if you are careful.

Cheers