CottonFields
14 years ago
Did VW actually produce a model of the bug they called "Karmann Cabriolet" and another model called "Karmann Kabriolet"?

Is it a spelling issue ["C" versus "K"], and we have simply american-ized the spelling, changing the "K" to a "C"? On this site [Numbers/Codes], you title the convertible ๐Ÿ› model as "Karmann Cabriolet".

My 1960 Euro model states on its body plate, "Karmann Kabriolet".

I'd really appreciate if someone can answer this question.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Willkommen! Antwort: Deutsch vs. Englisch.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
CottonFields
14 years ago
Your answer [Deutsch vs English] makes perfect sense.
But the question still remains: Are models made for export to U.S. plated as "Cabriolet", or are all [pre-67s] plated as "Kabriolet"?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
The first couple of years, the enamel badge says "Karmann Kabriolet" which then changed to "Karmann Kabriolett" with two Ts and then around 1960(ish?) to te regular Karmann badge with the chariot wheel on it.

Does your really spell it with only one T?

I gather the brochures spell Cabriolet in various ways over the years.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
CottonFields
14 years ago
I am so embarrassed. After your post, I looked again to verify, and sure enuf, my plate has two "T"s. There's no "wheel" that you speak of tho; it's a small,
rectangular plate fitting only Karmann, directly on top of Kabriolett.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I am so embarrassed. After your post, I looked again to verify, and sure enuf, my plate has two "T"s. There's no "wheel" that you speak of tho; it's a small,
rectangular plate fitting only Karmann, directly on top of Kabriolett.

CottonFields wrote:

No, the "chariot wheel" is on the later cars. This thing...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
heb623
14 years ago

CottonFields wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that it is just a matter between "old" and "new" spelling?:shock:

Kabriolett (old spelling) turned into Kabriolet! (new spelling)

Kabriolet (old spelling)turned into Cabriolet! (new spelling)

:twisted: ET
I โ€™ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Did it ever occur to you that it is just a matter between "old" and "new" spelling?:shock:

Kabriolett turned into Kabriolet!

Kabriolet turned into Cabriolet!

:twisted: ET

heb623 wrote:

No - Kabriolet turned into Kabriolett.:wink:
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

No - Kabriolet turned into Kabriolett.:wink:

JD wrote:

:roll: Now you're just Knitt picking.

John.
GKL 7
14 years ago
If they'd have left it alone in 1949, with the "Karosserie" badge,we wouldn't be having the debate.
Motto - Leave well alone:wink:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

:roll: Now you're just Knitt picking.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Kno Iยดm Knott!
UserPostedImage
BLINX
14 years ago

Did VW actually produce a model of the bug they called "Karmann Cabriolet" and another model called "Karmann Kabriolet"?

Is it a spelling issue ["C" versus "K"], and we have simply american-ized the spelling, changing the "K" to a "C"? On this site [Numbers/Codes], you title the convertible ๐Ÿ› model as "Karmann Cabriolet".

I'd really appreciate if someone can answer this question.

CottonFields wrote:

Seems like your question has already been answered, definitely a language thing. In SA they called Karmann Cabriolet as well.:wink:
CottonFields
14 years ago
Yes ~ The question has been answered. My point in posing the question is that it's a shame. If VW never plated a vehicle as "Carmann" or as "Cabriolet", too bad we think time [or locale] gives us leeway to change the given name. ๐Ÿ˜ณ For me, I'm sticking with what the plate states. [...and thanks for making me take a second look to see the second "t".]

P.S. I'm going to sell this KK. How best to determine its value?

lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

... If VW never plated a vehicle as "Carmann" or as "Cabriolet", too bad we think time [or locale] gives us leeway to change the given name. ๐Ÿ˜ณ For me, I'm sticking with what the plate states. [...and thanks for making me take a second look to see the second "t".]

CottonFields wrote:

Incidentally...just in case some are unaware the name "Karmann" is not a play on the words "a man who makes cars" but named after the founder of the company, Mr. Wilhelm Karmann.
John.
Etzhold1
14 years ago

Yes ~ The question has been answered. My point in posing the question is that it's a shame. If VW never plated a vehicle as "Carmann" or as "Cabriolet", too bad we think time [or locale] gives us leeway to change the given name. ๐Ÿ˜ณ For me, I'm sticking with what the plate states. [...and thanks for making me take a second look to see the second "t".]

P.S. I'm going to sell this KK. How best to determine its value?

CottonFields wrote:

post a picture , that would be easyer !