Si Med
14 years ago
From the above linked thread
Empi76- said
"it will be going back to stock at some stage, once i have recovered financially!"
54 UK rhd
pre67vw
14 years ago

From the above linked thread
Empi76- said
"it will be going back to stock at some stage, once i have recovered financially!"

Si Med wrote:

Looks like Empi76 is registered here but never posts. What a great time to stop lurking and step up to post some pics! :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
14 years ago
anyone see the pics after blasting? :shock: lots of welding repairs all over it. Looks to have just been filled back over :?
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

anyone see the pics after blasting? :shock: lots of welding repairs all over it. Looks to have just been filled back over :?

Robb wrote:

Post up some pics Rob, I haven't seen those.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
64rotbox
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

4 days later:

UserPostedImage

No mention of re-welding anything. "Freakin' amazing", apparently.
You can call me Al.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Post up some pics

Rich Oakley wrote:

EDIT: Duplicates of above :beer:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
11 seconds in it :lol:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

64rotbox wrote:

Hmmm, bit of a loss of definition in the seams along here. And no mention of any weld repairs as said above. :shock:

UserPostedImage

EDIT: Infact, in the after photo you can still see where the corner of the tank opening has been repaired. ie, has not be re-welded.
William
Robb
14 years ago
yer, i dont think John Jones from KCW realised how bad it was, so just skimmed it over as it was before blasting. Nice car, but could be nicer :?
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Who did the welding

Stevie Wonder??  stevie-wonder.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Hmmm, Im not sure there is a lot of '47 left really. Why else would you feel the need to weld in a new door check strap, weld all round the dash, weld on the front end, and put filler (blasters left some on in this photo) round by the rear window?

UserPostedImage

My guess is they bought a later split shell and let in bits from the '47. Quite probably wrong, just cant see any other reason why it would have had all the work done....

:?

Owner, if your reading this, please dont think im trying to knock your car, it looks great. :beer:
William
RockStock
14 years ago
😮 that's now not looking so hot is it? or do we just expect higher quality welding now? or has it had major work in the past?
KCW sandblast page 

What did you do with al the previous repairs it had?

I fixed what needed fixed.. I use the word needed loosely.. Like I said many pages ago while blasting.. this car is/ was a POS all scabbed together in someone's backyard..Not what I was hoping for. So welded some cracks and what not, used filler to hide their crappy work and am just gonna clean it up and put it back together to enjoy. A little make up, a new skirt and new shoes, and she will be just fine!!!! The only way to REALLY fix this car right would be to get a donor split and oval and disect it all and redo it.. I gave big bucks for this rig, hoping for something nice, and have no intention of spending my winter doing that.. I have much bigger things to take car of and finish.. it will live like it is...

I am not doing this car like a customer car.. This is my car, and I am just doing a quicky on it.. None of my cars are ever as nice as a customers.. just doesn't seem right to me to make my cars as nice, or nicer.. I just want a clean driver.. I did as little as I could to this one to make it a clean daily..

it's all up front on the KCW site, nothing hidden...
& i liked what John did to his 54 barndoor deluxe
fake fuchs...a 47 deserves originals
StockRocks
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
That certainly is an eye-opener!!! I had kind of assumed that it would have been repaired well coming from KCW's workshop and certainly for the sort of price he was asking. I have been speaking to Adam for a while now regarding what to do with the car (original parts etc), but to see those pics from the 'blasting is a real shock and disappointment :cry:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
14 years ago
This is what JJ from KCW said about it...

What did you do with all the previous repairs it had?

I fixed what needed fixed.. I use the word needed loosely.. Like I said many pages ago while blasting.. this car is/ was a POS all scabbed together in someone's backyard..Not what I was hoping for. So welded some cracks and what not, used filler to hide their crappy work and am just gonna clean it up and put it back together to enjoy. A little make up, a new skirt and new shoes, and she will be just fine!!!! The only way to REALLY fix this car right would be to get a donor split and oval and disect it all and redo it.. I gave big bucks for this rig, hoping for something nice, and have no intention of spending my winter doing that.. I have much bigger things to take car of and finish.. it will live like it is...

Bit of a shame really, but at least he's open about it all and not trying to hide it
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Yeah, at least as its been blasted it's not going to deteriorate any more.

I think if I were the new owner, I would be looking for a doner shell to chop up. :wink: It's not like you would be ruining a show winning paint job.
William
64rotbox
14 years ago
Just looks like average '70s welding to me. And it's heartwarming to know that there are modern day VW enthusiasts dedicated to keeping those old school values alive...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

(I'll take the '47, I think...)

Oh, and as said above, it's all above board and the new owner is happy with his purchase, so that's all that matters. (Especially if the car's going to lose the comedy ride height and Magic Roundabout wheels at some point! :beer: :beer: )
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I feel bad for the new owner,he surely didn't have this information when buying the car.
pre67vw
14 years ago

I feel bad for the new owner,he surely didn't have this information when buying the car.

'50 Karmann wrote:

It wouldn't have been hard to find though...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

It wouldn't have been hard to find though...

pre67vw wrote:

No, I cant see how you would have bought it unknown from the states without having a glance at that thread...?

He seems happy anyway, good luck to him :beer:
William
Robb
14 years ago
so not so good now eh ;)

all about the eagle eyes :lol: