pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago
Thought I'd start a thread about my 'old-speed' engine that I'm putting together for the cabrio. OK, so it's not an Okrasa or Denzil - but hopefully someone will still find it interesting.

The original 1300 engine has been converted to a 1600 at some point in its life with 85.5 pistons put into it, but apart from that there's no major changes to the block. It's going to have twin carbs on it, a fram filter, repro Okrasa oil cooler and repro Abarth exhaust so hopefully it's going to look the part. The idea is that it's all going to be period-correct, apart from the dog-house oil cooler I've put on it.

I've just received the Fram filter from San Antonio Texas. Very exciting, the last few of a bunch of NOS filters bagged up in 1966 and left, so the original box label is perfect. It's almost too nice to use, but it's much nicer than the 912 one I was previously going to use.  IMG_6662.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_6666.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_6669.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_6671.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago
Ha brings back memories. I bought my NOS Fram on EBay in about 2002 and it cost $32 plus shipping...exactly the same as yours including the box and instruction leaflet.

It's nice that Steph is back in the game and makes life much easier for those who need oil lines and the OK cooling spiral.

So is this going to be a dual port 1600 or were the 1300 heads single port?
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Ha brings back memories. I bought my NOS Fram on EBay in about 2002 and it cost $32 plus shipping...exactly the same as yours including the box and instruction leaflet.

It's nice that Steph is back in the game and makes life much easier for those who need oil lines and the OK cooling spiral.

So is this going to be a dual port 1600 or were the 1300 heads single port?

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I got this one for $80 plus shipping, which I was really pleased with. (although did get hit with the dreaded import tax)

Heads are single port.

Yep, good to see Steph back - updated the contact details on his site too.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

I got this one for $80 plus shipping, which I was really pleased with. (although did get hit with the dreaded import tax)

Heads are single port.

Yep, good to see Steph back - updated the contact details on his site too.

pre67vw wrote:

It's a pity you didn't start this last year because I sold a pair of 1300dp heads for Dave Pascoe in the classifieds, they went to Canada...it would have opened more carb options.

Very good price for the Fram.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
Not a huge amount of progress, but lots of cleaning and painting. Painted the block  IMG_6686.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
Did this conversion a while back, but this is the dog house oil cooler. It's pretty easy to do, make the stud a little longer so that it fits through the new cooler, drill the holes in the case slightly larger and that's it. Machine7 do special little rubber seals that fit in-between as well one side fits the case and the other side fits the cooler.  IMG_6687.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
Carbs turned up yesterday, single port solex's from a type 3 - the eBay description said 2 good ones and a spare, but I'm struggling to find one good one...! Got my work cut out getting these usable. :roll:  IMG_6673.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Interesting thread ,i have never actually seen a single port twin carb before ,I always thought the single port engine had a single carb.Just out of interest is the bolt spacing for those carbs the same as your original single pict 32?
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Interesting thread ,i have never actually seen a single port twin carb before ,I always thought the single port engine had a single carb.Just out of interest is the bolt spacing for those carbs the same as your original single pict 32?

Sunroof53 wrote:

It was only the type 3's that got the twin carbs so that they could get the engine to be flat so they still had boot space, the bolt spacing is slightly bigger.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Not sure what you mean when you say only the single port have twin carbs as i have robbed a few twin port type 3s of there carbs.In standard form there is little to be gained performance wise in fitting them .if you look at the hp figures of the 1600 beetle and type 3 there is only 3hp difference although it does vary from
book to book.Short manifolds do help with icing though .I did this conversion on a twin port 1600 a long time ago and to be honest ,apart from look good it did little to help performance although thats not to say they cant be modified in some way to make them better, with the help of internet knowledge.Are you using the early style fan housing or keeping the heaters ?
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Not sure what you mean when you say only the single port have twin carbs as i have robbed a few twin port type 3s of there carbs.In standard form there is little to be gained performance wise in fitting them .if you look at the hp figures of the 1600 beetle and type 3 there is only 3hp difference although it does vary from
book to book.Short manifolds do help with icing though .I did this conversion on a twin port 1600 a long time ago and to be honest ,apart from look good it did little to help performance although thats not to say they cant be modified in some way to make them better, with the help of internet knowledge.Are you using the early style fan housing or keeping the heaters ?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Sorry, I was not very clear! As far as I know, Type 3's came in single port (presumbaly the earlier cars) and twin port but they all had twin carbs in order to create the flat engine. What I was trying to say was that it was only the type 3's that got factory twin carbs... but you probably knew that already!

I agree there's not much of a performance increase, so yep it's mostly for looks. But hopefully with a little bit of head work and it being a 1600 it should go pretty well.

Early syle fan housing with dog-house oil cooler, probably the only item that won't be period correct but it looks good... :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
13 years ago
It will certainly be easier to make the linkage with the early style housing .I think i still have the centre swivel part of that linkage if you need one.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

I think i still have the centre swivel part of that linkage if you need one.

Sunroof53 wrote:

I do!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
13 years ago
looking great! cant wait to see it finished 😎
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Swivelly bit mentioned earlier,maybe not the one i used for my conversion but something to build on .

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
What about distributors? Bosch 019? or maybe just paint a 009 black?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
This looks the part - anyone know the seller?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=887727 

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Why do you want an 009? Going racing?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Why do you want an 009? Going racing?

JD wrote:

Not especially, just wanted one that looked like this...  26292_109561939076350_109279312437946_102117_5063130_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
I got my heads back this morning, guides have been k-lined and new valves put in. Found out that the place does quite a lot of aircooled VW engine work: www.tandlengineering.co.uk 

I maybe should have gone for the better (more expensive) cleaning option, but they look so much better than the burnt oil caked heads I dropped off... Just need to clean the chambers up a bit.  IMG_6688.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW