55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
As early (maybe all?) Karmann Cabriolet's came from the factory with rear wing gravel guards fitted, I'm looking for an NOS set and need some info on which design is correct.

So is there anyone out there with guards that they believe to be original to the car and if so, can you post a photo of them please. Preferable from a 55 year car but late 54/early 56 model would be ok.

Tks

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I can´t help you, but I drew the line at fitting those things on my car.
If I was going to fit any, I´d get the heavy Swedish ones.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

I drew the line at fitting those things on my car.
If I was going to fit any, I´d get the heavy Swedish ones.

JD wrote:

I know what you mean but it's all part of making it the body look period correct, so they got to be fitted!

Don't want the Swedish one's for that very reason...they're swedish :!: And personally, I think they look a bit OTT.

The rear wings that were on the car when Mike bought it are believed to be the OG items and gravel guards were fitted to them:

v37.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
At the risk of sounding stoopid, but why cant you just refit (after polish/re-chrome etc) the originals?

Or even better, don't run them :wink:
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

At the risk of sounding stoopid, but why cant you just refit (after polish/re-chrome etc) the originals?

Or even better, don't run them :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Read the above Will....:!: Came from the factory with them so I'd like them back on, plus I like them too :wink:

Mike junked the originals as they were too beat up.

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Read the above Will....:!: Came from the factory with them so I'd like them back on, plus I like them too :wink:

Mike junked the originals as they were too beat up.

55Kab wrote:

Yeah, I know they are 'correct', but you've got to draw the line somewhere. :wink:
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
They´re like, all minging and sh*t.
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
13 years ago
I've got an NOS boxed set of those Martin,they look the same as your pic to me.NOS OG VW.:wink:

p.s we should take our avatars down now,that was a nightmare.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

I did wonder how long it would take. :lol:
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

I've got an NOS boxed set of those Martin,they look the same as your pic to me.NOS OG VW.:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Well wasn't that an absolute joke. I've just come in from my German neighbours who had 4 of his work colleagues round there so you can imagine what its been like.

All I can say is where was Crouch? Why didn't J.Cole come on at half time and where are the tennis/horse racing camera's??? Time for you to go Mr Capello...

Sent you a mail on the guards George.

CNE789
13 years ago

I know what you mean but it's all part of making it the body look period correct, so they got to be fitted!

Don't want the Swedish one's for that very reason...they're swedish :!: And personally, I think they look a bit OTT.

The rear wings that were on the car when Mike bought it are believed to be the OG items and gravel guards were fitted to them:

55Kab wrote:

For reference, I have attached a couple of pictures of a boxed set of gravel guards I have. Not sure if they are original VW, not user if VW supplied them or if they were a typical after market item. They were made in Western Germany.

For size comparison, I have pictured one of them on top of a Swedish gravel guard (note these are fitted with screws!).

Hope this helps.

gravel-guards for VW, rear-set 03a.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  gravel-guards for VW, rear-set 04a.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

For reference, I have attached a couple of pictures of a boxed set of gravel guards I have. Not sure if they are original VW, not user if VW supplied them or if they were a typical after market item. They were made in Western Germany.

For size comparison, I have pictured one of them on top of a Swedish gravel guard (note these are fitted with screws!).

Hope this helps.

CNE789 wrote:

Thank you. Those guards are OG VW but from about 65 on. The early guards (I believe) are plain and don't have any "moulding" to them.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Thank you. Those guards are OG VW but from about 65 on. The early guards (I believe) are plain and don't have any "moulding" to them.

55Kab wrote:

The ones in the photo you posted earlier sure look like they have a moulding in them.
UserPostedImage