• pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Looking very sharp Rob. 😎
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Looking good. 😎

Are you running the vac line to one or two of the carbs?
William
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago
So I fitted the exhaust and heat exchangers on Saturday, just tried starting it - but no go. Put a bit of fuel straight into the carbs and it spluttered optimistically. So I had a look at the fuel pump and it was bone dry... I did swap the Brazilian pump for an unproven German one, do I need a pump rebuild kit? Or do I just need to prime it somehow?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Put the Brazilian one back on, to try it? Or is it kippered?
Chuck fuel down the carbs and get it to run for a few seconds - it should pull some through.
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Put the Brazilian one back on, to try it? Or is it kippered?
Chuck fuel down the carbs and get it to run for a few seconds - it should pull some through.

JD wrote:

Just ranking it will take an age to draw fuel through front to back, a float bowl full of fuel will keep it running long enough to get fuel through.

Why not just test and get it running with the Brazilian one, and get a rebuild kit from KK. The pump I rebuilt last year has now covered 1600 miles no hassle.

What type of pump is the German one? Any of these? Should be the middle one I think for a '66 1300.

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Have just checked, you have the middle type. KK will have this  kit, that includes a new diaphragm.
William
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
Yep it's the middle one. I would have put the old one back on just for a test but by this time the battery was getting low so decided to stop and put it on charge (it has been sat doing nothing for the best part of a year).

Sucked the petrol through so it didn't have to pull it through all the way from the front... (yuk 😳 )
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
Latest update, got my fuel pump rebuild kit from KK and rebuilt the pump. The diaphragm looked ok (although a little on the hard side) but the little lever inside was rock solid with rust/crud so it wasn't actually pumping at all. Fiddled with the timing a bit and it started up, but it's bloody loud - are those Abarth's always that loud? Also seem to have a bit of an issue with the carb linkage, whereas it returned to idle fine when it was on the stand - now that it has the drag of the accelerator cable it doesn't return to idle on it's own. Going to look at putting some springs directly on the carbs.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
Been busy this weekend Rob?????
Heres some old old vintage speed.  702958.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Been busy this weekend Rob?????
Heres some old old vintage speed.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Haven't done anything on it for a while, but should be back on it soon. The Radclyffe engine is pretty cool, I also like Porsche's cabrio with the supercharger added to the bottom pulley - crazy!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
My brother came over today to help me get the car started, the problem was that it would run for a while and then cut out. Turns out there was a problem with the floats in the float chambers not coming up far enough so the fuel was just flooding into the engine and killing it. So after that was sorted we had this...

But then I'm not sure what happened, but for some reason now it just won't idle. The only thing I can think of is to take the carbs off and recheck them all.

Why is nothing ever easy?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Si Med
13 years ago
Any news Rob?
54 UK rhd
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Any news Rob?

Si Med wrote:

New coil helped things a little, although I think it's also the chokes. I had thought that it should run ok with no chokes at least after it had warmed up- (the chokes on the carbs were 6v and the car is 12) so next job is to get the chokes working and take it from there...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I had thought that it should run ok with no chokes

pre67vw wrote:

It should. I haven´t got any, and it´s fine.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
So the next chapter in this story... Drove back from Peppercorn and it ran lovely, plenty of power and none of the missing that was happening on the way down.

But...

Today, put the stock carb back on which involved removing the Okrasa cooler and the Fram filter.

Kind of sad, but the car has got to go... and I'd like it to be as reliable as possible when it goes.  UploadedFile0.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW