48REME
13 years ago

Typically, the style of many pre-war motorcars was having running boards and a split rear window. This was the period of which the Beetle was conceived and to which it belongs. This pre-war period is considered by early car enthusiasts as the vintage period.

It follows that oval window-on Beetles are not really vintage, for a start they use curved glass for the rear window, which is a post-war modern item. They also represent a break away from the original pre-war design.

If it has the rectangular rear window it therefore has the larger screen which alters the car's profile, so is not the original shape, and really not vintage.

A proper vintage VW has a split rear window, cable brakes and a crash gear box. Thats it and nothing else :beer:

Semaphore indicators give any early car a really old feel though:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Right then! Let's ban all Ovals and even Zwitters (with their bastardised dashboards and modern quarter lights!) for that matter, from serious vintage VW shows. That's when shows will become really interesting with rows of nothing but the same!:lol:
Standard split
13 years ago

Right then! Let's ban all Ovals and even Zwitters (with their bastardised dashboards and modern quarter lights!) for that matter, from serious vintage VW shows. That's when shows will become really interesting with rows of nothing but the same!:lol:

48REME wrote:

Yep, just the original German People's Car :twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Yep, just the original German People's Car :twisted:

Standard split wrote:

Pre war? So that makes what? Three cars?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Standard split
13 years ago

Pre war? So that makes what? Three cars?

JD wrote:

Obviously all pre-October 1952 VWs (Standard models for '49-'52), the original pre-war concept and design :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
13 years ago

Right then! Let's ban all Ovals and even Zwitters (with their bastardised dashboards and modern quarter lights!) for that matter, from serious vintage VW shows.

48REME wrote:

At last, someone has finally seen the light.

:wink:
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

Camberg and Hessisch are special events, and to start allowing cars in that don't fit the theme dilutes them. To me it doesn't matter how rare your car is, that's not the criteria - I'd prefer to see a nice stock oval over a lowered whatever. Camberg has always been pre 57 - with coachbuilts up to 67. I don't see any reason to change it now...

pre67vw wrote:

Well what a thread this has turned into :lol:

My last Camberg was 1991 and back then I don't remember it as a stock only show. Pre 57 vehicles yes, but not stock only although the theme obviously was stock.

I agree it doesn't matter how rare you car is but going back to my original question on this...the fact that my 55 will not running the OG engine/box/brakes and will be lowered running Fuch does not mean it's not a Vintage VW. I'll concede it's a fine line but given everything else is from 1955 then as far as I'm concerned it's Vintage.

Don't want to upset you nice posters but anyone that thinks a Vintage VW is pre 53 is living in a dream world! :lol:

Standard split
13 years ago

Well what a thread this has turned into :lol:
Don't want to upset you nice posters but anyone that thinks a Vintage VW is pre 53 is living in a dream world! :lol:

55Kab wrote:

Don't wake me from my dream world Martin:d

I have to say that its a little different when thinking of cabrios as opposed to saloons of which I am usually considering.

Karmann cabrios from the 40's 50's have such a vintage charm of their own – they are rather different in style and feel to the saloon, and even the later ones hold a charm. Its only when they went onto the 1303 style that they were really spoiled with the hood resting on the curved screen:wink:

harveypj
13 years ago
:roll: Details details........... and who realy cares?
Other than hardcore VW nerds, most of the human race recognise a Beetle as a Beetle and nothing more. after all it is partly famous for having lasted 7 decades looking most part the same. (bit like a beetle funny enough :lol:) They are just a fun car that make people smile.......unless you hate them of course, they are a bit Marmite.

I just love Beetles.......simples:d

:idea: Lets carve up Morris Minors instead :twisted:
Stock......the new custom
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

:idea: Lets carve up Morris Minors instead :twisted:

harveypj wrote:

Thought you´d never ask!

UserPostedImage
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I SEE YOU 55KAB..

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

I SEE YOU 55KAB..

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

^^^ :lol: :lol:

I like it Anna. :beer:

Now, who's got a schwimmer for sale...:oops:

oval56
13 years ago
if someone wants a hebmüller i would it trade for a swimmer :lol: :shock: :beer:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
Standard split
13 years ago

Morris Minors…… :twisted:

harveypj wrote:

None of that language here please :evil:

Mind you, you can get a 1949-50 one of those things in good order for less than a decent 1972 1300 Beetle – really :!:

Cheap vintage motoring, but your name has to be Toby, and like trains too :wink:

Standard split
13 years ago

:roll: Details details........... and who realy cares?
Other than hardcore VW nerds, most of the human race recognise a Beetle as a Beetle and nothing more. after all it is partly famous for having lasted 7 decades looking most part the same. (bit like a beetle funny enough :lol:)

harveypj wrote:

The problem with this view is why are we subscribing to a VW site that has a cut-off point of 1967? Just because thereafter Beetles had flat headlights and 12 volt electrics. All air-cooled Beetles should be catered for if you take this view :twisted:

Infact why is it pre67 anyway. August '64 – '67 cars all have the later big windows body which ran until the end in 2003. A much bigger change came in 1964 when the last small side window cars were produced. The small side windows were an original KdF feature right from 1938. Unlike sloping front wings being added to the 12 volt cars, the side windows are a permanent feature on a Beetle, and cannot be swapped. :wink:

www.pre65vw.com:twisted:

pre67vw
13 years ago

Infact why is it pre67 anyway. August '64 – '67 cars all have the later big windows body which ran until the end in 2003. A much bigger change came in 1964 when the last small side window cars were produced.

Standard split wrote:

The reason is simple... because it's my site and I own a '65. You are more than welcome to go build your own site and cater for whatever years you want to... :wink:

I've never heard of 'Vintage' referring to pre-war, only the standard dates between 1919 and 1930. Veteran cars is pre-1919, and then there is pre-war and post-war. Classic is defined by different dates depending on what country your in, some are over 15 years - some are over 25.

Pre-war in terms of VW is pretty restricted, it would include Kdf's, Schwimmers & Kübels. Anything built after the war is post war, regardless of whether or not it looks similar to a pre-war car.

The Beetle is a little bit odd compared to most other cars, most other cars had definate body style changes in a particular year, the Beetle was more of a rolling development - split merged into zwitter that merged into oval that merged into big window that merged into upright headlight with many inbetween years having parts from the previous and later years. You can pick your own criteria as to which is the true 'design', but no one else will care.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
13 years ago

I agree it doesn't matter how rare you car is but going back to my original question on this...the fact that my 55 will not running the OG engine/box/brakes and will be lowered running Fuch does not mean it's not a Vintage VW. I'll concede it's a fine line but given everything else is from 1955 then as far as I'm concerned it's Vintage.

55Kab wrote:

OK, so if we can't have 'Vintage' then what is the term that describes early period correct and stock cars? Cos to me, that's what 'Vintage' means.

When you say 'Cal-look' that describes a VW lowered at the front, dechromed with big engine. When you say 'Resto-cal' it describes a mostly stock car, lowered on shiny wheels and usually lots of accessories. When you say 'Baja' its a raised up off-roader.

When you say 'Vintage' it nicely describes an early car, not necessarily stock (it can include old-speed, accessories, whitewalls, coachbuilt and military). If your car is Vintage then I'm going to start calling mine a Baja - it has most of the parts of a Baja (except some of the fibreglass bits, rollcage and spot lights) :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
13 years ago

The reason is simple... because it's my site and I own a '65. You are more than welcome to go build your own site and cater for whatever years you want to... :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

I guess that's as good as reason as any :wink:

48REME
13 years ago

Infact why is it pre67 anyway. August '64 – '67 cars all have the later big windows body which ran until the end in 2003. A much bigger change came in 1964 when the last small side window cars were produced. The small side windows were an original KdF feature right from 1938.

Standard split wrote:

So you're almost accepting and embracing the pre-64 cars in the vintage family as they still retain the smaller side windows, that's inconsistently generous of you John.
I thought nothing past a matt, three-spoke steering wheeled, banana bumpered oldie would do in your books!:lol:
Standard split
13 years ago

So you're almost accepting and embracing the pre-64 cars in the vintage family as they still retain the smaller side windows, that's inconsistently generous of you John.
I thought nothing past a matt, three-spoke steering wheeled, banana bumpered oldie would do in your books!:lol:

48REME wrote:

You're right Nicolas nothing but a matt, three-spoke steering wheeled, banana bumpered oldie would do :beer: (I can make room in my garage for your Standard though:d )

I was trying out Rob's reasoning for the pre 67 thing. He's not the only one that regards 1967 as a cut-off, many other clubs and magazines do too.

I don't think that the sloping front wing thing is such a deal as the final window change of 1964 is – the last of the original side glass area. So many have put sloping front wings on their 70s Beetles, its easy to do and not a fixture like many other Beetle updates over the years :wink:

Sunroof53
13 years ago
Post 67 beetles lost more than sloping headlamps.the bonnet and engine lid became shorter,bumpers got bigger and 12v electrics became the standard(except on base models).that to me is when they lost the original look.